Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator

Multiple First-Timer Questions

I've been meaning to get a hammock for a couple of years ever since I got my touring bike kitted out, but it just never materialized for one reason or another.

Last night, I ordered an XLC 1.7 Double and a SuperFly. I can't wait. There are a few sticking points that I'd like to hash out with you guys, but please tell me if I'm better off making a different thread in each sub-section.

For reference, I'm 6'3" and hover around 190 (200+ projected in the coming year). I'm also in Western PA.

First up: underquilts. I'm really trying to wrap my head around these and it seems like opinions go back and forth (as with anything). I have my eye on the Hammock Gear Incubator, but I can't figure out what temp is best. I have a pretty fixed budget and would like to just get one full length to use all year. Perhaps that's not ideal?

The weather fluctuates wildly where I am (maybe for all of us anymore), so I'm anticipating the possibility of very cold spring/fall nights and chilly summer ones. But extremely hot fall/summer nights are just as likely. I think my confusion stems from being unsure about how the temps on the UQs work out. For example, will a 0° Incubator feel the same as a 40° Incubator on a 50-60° night and the 0° is just obviously better for lower temps? Or will I roast in the 0° when it gets to that midpoint where I'll be too cold without any UQ at all? If it was as simple as being able to buy a 0° Incubator and being set for the whole year (as it says on the website), I'd be a happy camper (ha! bet that one hasn't been used here before). Hoping someone can clarify for me. Still trying to figure out the concept of venting too.

Also, regarding the XLC, I've been second guessing myself after ordering (not the purchase itself, but going with the XLC over the standard Blackbird). I feel like I'm buying the brand new electronic and getting some upgrades, but also dealing with the early bugs. I sent a message on the Warbonnet site with a request. The main reason I picked the XLC was for length, but I'd really love to have that same length with the time-tested, beloved Blackbird standard. I'm hoping that's possible, but I'm unsure. Also, all of that extra netting on the XLC makes me a little nervous about tears and I'd rather not have to be super dainty and delicate with it. In addition, I really like the double-zipper that the XLC sacrifices for the removable top that I'm not sure I'd remove that often.

So essentially, yeah, I really just want the length.

Would love to hear any thoughts you guys have (those who already have the XLC and can maybe alleviate concerns) or insight on whether a longer standard Blackbird is or isn't asking too much of those guys.

Otherwise, I'm happy to join the community!

If you're not winter camping a 20* incubator would work perfect for you and if there's a chance that it may go lower, you can always carry a bit of reflectix, weights bout nothing. But I find HGUQ's to be very true to their rating if not maybe a little better, especially with good site selection and tarp setup.

Bottom line is I think a 20* will do you fine all year. It's easy to get cold in a hammock, very easy. Anything under 70* and you really notice the convection, so it's easy to vent and cool off if need be.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A 0 degree would be way to hot in the summer IMO even with venting it. As Slo said, getting a 20 degree and adding to it in the winter and venting it in the summer might be a better option if you only want to buy one.

You're pretty tall so I can see why you wanted the longer hammock. Some members have been relaying their experiences with shorter hammocks being more comfortable for their given heights. A BB might feel just fine for you. I have certainly read some people the same height as you that have had no problems getting comfortable in a BB. Maybe someone with both an XLC and a BB can give you better input.

Typically resale prices are high enough that you would not lose a lot of money if you found you wanted to sell what you end up with and get something else.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Hey, thanks Slo and Bubba for the advice.

I think I'm going to go with the 20° UQ. As you guys say, I can supplement in the winter and hopefully it will be best for the other three seasons. If not, it's good to know I could always sell it for a good price and get the 0° if absolutely necessary. Although if anyone could elaborate on overfill options and what makes the most sense with those, I'd love to hear about that.

Regarding my hammock purchase, I'm not sure if Brandon really wants people shouting from the rooftops about it -- though I did see him mention that he's doing something similar in another thread -- but he offered to make me a standard Blackbird with XLC length.

I couldn't be happier. Now just have to wait. Thankfully it's still so cold out.

Multiple First-Timer Questions

Great question. I have a Hennessy hammock and WBBB. I use a full size underquilt rated 5-10 degrees for nights below 50 degrees and the double layer BB lends itself nicely to a skinny foam pad for warmer temps. I have never been cold, but I suppose you could use a pad with the underquilt, but that might negate some of the effectiveness of the UQ. My underquilt is a JacksRBetter Winter Nest, but you would not need the slit required for underneath entry (Hennessey Hammock specific). The other posters are right on, but given the weight of down underquilts, I would go down to a 5-10 degree rated UQ and opt for the pad in warmer weather. I think it would be better to have a lower rated quilt that would not need to be added to in the winter. Then just stick with the pad or a very light poncho liner type UQ in warm weather. Good luck!
    Last edited by Buccaneer; 04-03-2013 at 09:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Senet View Post
    Hey, thanks Slo and Bubba for the advice.

I think I'm going to go with the 20° UQ. As you guys say, I can supplement in the winter and hopefully it will be best for the other three seasons. If not, it's good to know I could always sell it for a good price and get the 0° if absolutely necessary. Although if anyone could elaborate on overfill options and what makes the most sense with those, I'd love to hear about that.

Regarding my hammock purchase, I'm not sure if Brandon really wants people shouting from the rooftops about it -- though I did see him mention that he's doing something similar in another thread -- but he offered to make me a standard Blackbird with XLC length.

I couldn't be happier. Now just have to wait. Thankfully it's still so cold out.
    I think Brandon mentioned in the XLC thread that he would be making some 10 foot XLC's. With the number of 11 foot hammocks popping up, I'm not surprised that he would make 11 foot BB's

With regards to over fill, I was told that one ounce would add a few degrees to the rating.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Buccaneer: Your advice is really helpful, thanks. I mentioned last that I was thinking about going for the 20° Incubator, but I've yet to actually pull the trigger on either of them. I'm waffling, big time. It would be the easiest decision to make if it wasn't such a subjective, personal thing. A 0° might be comfortable up to 65° for one person and 45° for another. I don't know if I'm a warm sleeper or a cold sleeper; all I know is I like tons of blanket in the winter and a thin sheet in the summer (indoors).

I'm leaning towards the 0°, but my decision is also affected by the fact that it's now warming up and any of the underquilts are big purchases to not be using for another 7-8 months. In the mean time, I'll just use you guys as my outlet until I make a final decision.

Thanks for the clarification on the overfill, Bubba.

• + New Posts