mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...

I want to make a tarp!

I want to make my own tarp because I like DIY, hell, its half the reason I do anything I do…also cause I am a cheap-***

I have been looking at all the different shapes and designs and trying to figure out the advantages of certain things.

My hammocks at this time are 116 x 72 inches. I was thinking of a variation of this one Winter Tarp

I want to make it with 10 vs 9 yards so that the ridge line is 12.66 ft long. I want, not sure if I need, at least a 12ft ridge line since my hammock is almost 10 ft. I also want to omit the catenary cuts to simplify the construction but I don’t know what purpose they serve so is that a mistake? What do they do? Would there be a significant disadvantage in just keeping those lines straight? The other thing, on the “doors”, Velcro, zipper, buttons?

And I guess lastly, since I am sure this will be the first of many, maybe I should start with just a plain old rectangle to keep it simple. After all, I don’t camp when I expect it might rain so I am not sure I really even need doors for that purpose. This being a "winter tarp" and that it is open for debate if what we get when the calendar says winter actually qualifies would this sort be useful as such?

Let the opinions fly!

“Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

"...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Catenary cuts work only if they are done right -- used to impart tension between seams to keep the tarp taut and edges from flapping in the wind -- the part that would flap is cut away.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    The only thing I need to do is sew on my side panel pullouts, and I will have completed my first tarp. I used a variation of the BWDD hex tarp design. Here is the thread that I started when brainstorming. Maybe there's some useful information for you there. THREAD

I'm going to hopefully have mine done in a day or so, and then i'll post pics and some of the thought process I went through.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

I want to make a tarp!

I've made both a hex and the winter dream using the instructions at backwoodsdaydreamer / diygearsupply. I was glad I did the cat cuts because both tarps look pretty sharp.

I think your planned tarp length is too long. Remember that you are covering the ridgeline length of your hammock, not the total cloth length. Set up your hammock just how you like it, have someone get in it, then measure the length you want to cover and add a foot on each end.

Typically you'll order 7 yards of fabric because you will sew together a double width of the fabric at the ridge line. You can have a 10.5 foot tarp ridge line for a hex tarp. Alternatively I prefer getting 8 yards for making a tarp with doors. You can always use the leftovers for small projects.

Hammock
    DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I made the BWDD winter tarp. It's awesome. Definitely an involved DIY project but worth it in the end. I made it to exact specs as laid out on the site but I cant imagine making it longer would hurt anything. The cat cuts aren'rt that bad, the worst part is trying to keep the hem even and that's not even that big of a deal. Just go slow. I would definitley keep the cat cuts but thats just me.
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

I want to make a tarp!

Regarding the closure on the winter tarp, I always planned to add Velcro or ties. So far just staking the doors shut has worked for me.

Don't be afraid to go for a shape you really want instead of a rectangle. The hardest part of making any big tarp is that long ridge line center seam, and it is common to all the shapes. Try not to sew it to the center of one of the faces!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

I want to make a tarp!

First of all, if your hammock length is 116" when stretched out on the floor, your ridgeline length when hung will be about 8'. You don't need a 12' tarp to cover that hammock (unless you want more for larger hammocks).

I highly recommend cat cuts. You will be happy that you did them (afterwards, that is).

Here's a free hint: Sew the ridgeline first! I didn't do that on my 1st tarp, which now provides me with a lifetime supply of stuff sacks.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    mine...at the moment :)
    Tarp
    a 8x10 blue :)
    Insulation
    about 30% BMI
    Suspension
    TBD...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    After watching your videos so many times, to have you reply to feels like a celebrity visit
    “Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent” --- Thomas Sowell

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” --- P. J. O'rourke

"...I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas." David Crockett

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I recently finished a winter tarp from the DIY Gear Supply plans. I only made slight variations. Mine is about 6" longer and a few inches wider (full fabric width).

I love it. I finally got shock cords on the doors that I can clip to the staked corner or across to the far pull out to hold it open. Here are a few photos with the doors closed. I don't think Velcro or ties are needed.

I was working on the side pulls here I only have one set up.

Both pull-outs set up with hiking poles.

Pitched steep like this really kept the wind out.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast