WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web

JMT Summer 2010

So here it is the trip of a lifetime. 30+ give or take 5 days. Summer 2010 specifically July to middle August. 2250 dollar will get you there keep you fed and get you home in luxury. Can be done for much less. Hiking North to South. Looking to find some people to go. It is possible to hang but it may require stopping early some days to get a spot to hang. I'll be going to ground most likely, but its worth it. Weather this time of year is usually mid 80s during the day and upper 20s at night. Snowfields should be pretty well melted, but I will be carrying a UL Ice Axe and Kahtoola MicroSpikes. Bear Canisters are mandatory but Bear Vaults can be had for under 75 dollars. If anyone is interested let me know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    So here it is the trip of a lifetime. 30+ give or take 5 days. Summer 2010 specifically July to middle August. 2250 dollar will get you there keep you fed and get you home in luxury. Can be done for much less. Hiking North to South. Looking to find some people to go. It is possible to hang but it may require stopping early some days to get a spot to hang. I'll be going to ground most likely, but its worth it. Weather this time of year is usually mid 80s during the day and upper 20s at night. Snowfields should be pretty well melted, but I will be carrying a UL Ice Axe and Kahtoola MicroSpikes. Bear Canisters are mandatory but Bear Vaults can be had for under 75 dollars. If anyone is interested let me know.
    I'd be interested if I could go. We're doing two legs of it this year - can't do the whole thing in one go and keep my job.

there's a JMT list on Yahoo; it's a good resource to figure out stuff like the ins and outs of the resupply points and the trail itself.

I saw a trail journal at jmthiker.com about folks using hammocks on the JMT. Didn't talk about the hammocks much, but I think I recall them mentioning going to ground a few times. I will be doing Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow this coming August; shouldn't be too bad.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    wishful thinking, but I would love to go...

Found these quotes on jmthiker.com:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis's Gear
    Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asymmetrical ...Sometimes used on ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Llona's Gear
    Hennessy Adventure Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    I determined that sleeping on the ground with red ants was not my favorite thing, so Llona and I decided to use Hennessy hammocks this time around. This time John was able to come with us and also chose to carry a hammock - a Bliss.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I've been reading the same thing. Problem is in order to use a hammock alot of times it appears you would have to go down off the trail to find a suitable spot, and then climb back up scree fields.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    might be willing to go. read about it in the link lori mentioned. just need to work up to it. that's what this year is for. the time will allow me to perfect a few things also.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Plowhorse for the trip I'll be going to ground. Baseweight of around 4lbs and pack total of about 20. Should be a kick arse trip. Supposedly it rains very little which makes me very happy to use a Tarp instead of hanging or a tent.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    grew up in those mountains, don't count on no rain. they have a way doing exactly the opposite of what you think as far as weight is concerned I've carried 20 or so lbs around all day hunting, just not for a drawn out period. need to fine tune pack setup, as well as a few other things. otherwise, I am looking forward to it.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts