Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Glad I found this thread. Cleared up a few things. My wife hasn't touched her sewing machine in 10 years but still forbids me from touching it until I suggested I might purchase something newer and nicer...she changed her tune at the thought of getting a new one and embracing the hand-me-down process

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceInVA View Post
    Glad I found this thread. Cleared up a few things. My wife hasn't touched her sewing machine in 10 years but still forbids me from touching it until I suggested I might purchase something newer and nicer...she changed her tune at the thought of getting a new one and embracing the hand-me-down process
    Heh... if she hasn't touched it in 10 years what does she need a new one for? hehehe... I say you get the new gear machine and let her be jealous. Yeah... I know it don't work that way. But whats the point of having a good piece of equipment sit around unused.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    A lot of this sounds like how I ended up getting my own thread injector/sewing machine with all of the extra decorative stitches and embroidery and so forth. My wife has a mid/high-end Brother machine, and when I got interested in learning to sew, she was very hesitant, saying that her machine was a bit too advanced to learn on. I then proceeded to talk her into letting me get my current machine which ended up costing just as much as hers, but I traded the number of functions for reported durability. As I like to put it, my machine is the work horse, while my wife's machine is the trick pony.

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, I tell people I sew all the time, and I rarely get any grief about being a guy that sews.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Short White Guy View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, I tell people I sew all the time, and I rarely get any grief about being a guy that sews.
    I use "making gear" on the forums because it helps focus attention and discussion on what it is we do here. I think there is a difference between "sewing" and "making gear" in that one is a subset of the other. We don't get into set-in sleeves and raglan sleeves. We don't get into plackets, tailored linings and french cuffs. We don't get into a whole lot of stuff that is part of the overall "sewing" experience. That's not a bad thing. Advanced sewing is a high set of skills that includes altering patterns for fit and a variety of other things. Not be over simplify the gear making process but just about any one can learn to make gear. So I find the distinction useful in that regard. Again it has nothing to do with gender identity or insecurity. It has to do with focus.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I agree with Rev's comments above, however...

There is a LOT of good info on sewing machines (the machines, not the techniques for sewing with them) here at HF. Repair, tune-up, recommendations, reviews, etc. are all here but much of that info is hidden from folks who are doing internet searches with the keywords 'sewing machine' because some folks persist with the somewhat tired joke of 'thread injector'.

I make a point of using the term 'sewing machine' for that reason.

I use a sewing machine to sew gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123