Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Congratulations on breaking the seal and posting.

It doesn't have to be expensive, but it sure can be. Insulation is where you really start paying the price for an extra level of comfort, but you can still be very comfortable with the right hammock/pad combo. While I would most definitely recommend the WB BlackBird to anybody just getting off the ground, I missed the 'group buy' on the DD hammocks last year so if you order let me know and I'll share some of the shipping costs. Hopefully we can get one or two others on board too.

Welcome to the posting side of the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Thank you to all who have responded. Good comments and tips.

Being not yet a hanger I am like many who have posted on the various forum sections - wondering what hammock to try first ? - so like many I find one week a certain design looks most promising and that's the One - a week goes by an a different design looks to be a better choice and there's a new One - at the top of the list. I've noticed that a lot of folks seem to go through several different models before finding what works best for them.

So many choices and so many body types which means that while different designs may be equally good it appears that some designs work better for one person than another. Due to the way your body bends or the way you lay when you sleep. So despite my intro post saying I am looking at the DD or Claytor my brain is still open as to which model to purchase and hammock of primary interest may likely change by next week.

Since I am looking to purchase two for father and son outings there may well be some merit in getting two different designs to permit some experimenting . The WB Blackbird looks interesting too but I've not yet been able to learn as much about it as some of the others. I did get to see the HH and JRB at Trail Days last May and I think I just wouldn't like the bottom entry , fixed net design and the JRB seems too heavy for my intended primary use. For a while I thought I'd like a Clark - many choices makes making a decision difficult. But that's a good thing, I think.

As for lightening - I suppose it is a concern that ought not be and it maybe that hanging or ground dwelling makes no difference - nevertheless if caught in the center of the storm I'll stay low and let another stand and hold the umbrella - at a distance. Having been caught out in the open motorcycling across S.Dakota , my first time there, years ago with lightening hitting nearby I was giving serious consideration to stopping and letting the bike be the high point while I looked for a ditch to lay low in several tens of yards away. In the end it appeared that before I made that move I had ridden out of it so I rode on and enjoyed the break from the heat. Still a scary experience though.

Someone mentioned Hot Springs. Would that be Hot Springs, N.C. ? When does this event happen?

I've been there a couple of times attending a motorcycle rally which used to be staged there at a campground in town - but haven't been back there for about 13 years after a nasty head on collision just south of town with a guy on another motorcycle who had gone way wide in a turn and nailed me at the edge of the pavement. Things can go terribly wrong in under 2 seconds. Thankfully it was one of those guardian angel events when just as the collision began I felt myself seemingly being pulled up into the air by my collar above the colliding machines. A much better outcome than having another motorcycle at speed rip my leg off which is what I thought was going to happen. Two bikes destroyed but everyone walks away.

Anyway - looking forward to learning more and making a choice before to much more time passes.

David

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome David. Here's a thread telling all about the Hot Springs, NC campout.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6922
    Hope you can make it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Welcome David. Here's a thread telling all about the Hot Springs, NC campout.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6922
    Hope you can make it.
    Ditto the welcome....

You might find the MAHHA closer.... other from WV come to it....Details here...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=MAHHA

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Hi David

Welcome to HF. I lurked several sites before picking HF my favorite.

Where in WV? I’m from McDowell Co., birth through HS.

I can talk about the Claytor Expedition and Hammock Bliss. Can’t say I like one over the other and certain other MFG’s to include DIY are more diverse yet. I will use two trees when available or tree to truck or front stake pocket, over load bed, to boat trailer winch post.

Both are gathered end and work well with a spreader bar if shoulder squeeze becomes a problem. I am 5-10, 180, 40-42 jacket. The CE works better for me with, either, a 20 inch foam pad or 16 inch spreader. No problem in the HB. CE is 48X105 and HB is 55X118.

The CE has a double bottom (for cold weather insulation) and bug net (skeeters here on the shore are big enough to have their way with small ducks). The HB with a single bottom and no net is my go to for good weather and no bugs.

For me the angle of the hang (sag) makes a big difference in comfort. Be sure to experiment with, distance between trees and tie height on tree and butt height above ground.

The Speer 8X10 cat tarp serves both hammocks well. If necessary foul weather tarp for the HB. I let the tarp and HB share the same biners (head and foot), with butt 6-8 inches above ground, stake one center tie out to ground and the other center on a walking stick (door). Then if weather turns bad drop stick, cross fold and stake both ends. The Claytor with bug net up is too wide for this setup so I carry a poncho to cover foul weather end.

John
    Last edited by dually; 02-12-2009 at 11:46.
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Pan,

Thanks for the info about the MAHHA .
    However, looks like its held at Gathland State Park in Md. which is not so easy to get to from where I live. Looks like an interesting place though. Not really sure if I could make it to any of the hang events even if they are an easier drive for me. One of my work mates of many years retired and with the economy the way it is the company is in no hurry to replace him - thus leaving more work for me an those of us who remain. But will keep it in mind.

David

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by dually View Post
    Hi David

Welcome to HF. I lurked several sites before picking HF my favorite.

Where in WV? I’m from McDowell Co., birth through HS.

I can talk about the Claytor Expedition and Hammock Bliss.
    John
    John,
    Thanks for the info. Right now I am kinda overwhelmed with all the different choices from the different designs. I seem to latch onto the latest design I've been researching as the one that would best suite me. One week its a Clark and then a DD or Claytor . Maybe I'll warm up to a Hennessey sometime but I just don't think I like a bottom entry. However they do offer a large variety of designs. Since my initial post I'm taken a liking to the things I'm reading about the Warbonnet Blackbird.

Anyway , I live in Boone County about 35 miles s.w. of Charleston.

David

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT

I'm in - well partially anyway

A follow up to my initial intro posting. A decision has been made and hammocks and tarps ordered.

As mentioned I often find myself thinking the most recent hammock design I’ve been looking at is the one for me. So many designs with different features its hard to make a matrix of features and make a decision.

Initially I was thinking I might like the Clark , then it was the DD Hammock. But after further research I decided against it for various reasons. Cost of shipping being one and the new water proof bottom making me concerned about condensation. Or maybe the Claytor.

I finally made my decision and ordered two different hammocks. Two for two reasons.

Firstly - Just to try out different designs and – Secondly - because I think my son will want to tag along and give it a try. Though he seems to think he’d rather stay on the ground. We’ll see.

In the end it came down to a couple of things. If I’m going to spread my money around it’s going to go locally for the home product. I almost always buy from my locally owned businesses. The local family owned bike shop gets my business and not Walmart or Target. Same with cameras or other equipment. I just don’t think it fair dealing to go to the local shop, finds what fits or what they like and then goes home and orders online to save a few bucks. Others think that I’m a fool for so doing , but so be it. It’s just the way I think, the local business deserves my support , IMO, if that local shop is someone who knows the products and provides me a way to see them first hand. Perhaps an odd attitude from a guy who works for a Dutch company. So I've decided to buy the homeland product.

I wanted to try two different designs. The Speer hammock has been around a while , seems a solid product refined over time to arrive at its present state and it follows the KISS principle. Not much to break or jam.

The Blackbird is an innovative design, with some unique features and a lot of enthusiastic owner chat . Not as complicated as the Clark , not as expensive either , but a nice middle ground of balance of price and features.

So I’ve ordered a Speer IIIA and a Blackbird. The BB was received today and the Speer ought to arrive Monday.

I also ordered two Speer tarps. The Cat tarp which comes with the hammock and the SWT. Which ought to have a ridgeline length long enough to cover the BB. I wanted to go ahead and try the smaller tarp just because Ed , as others , feel that that size is big enough to give good coverage despite the doubts of the unexperienced user. I thought about skipping the SWT and trying one of the MACCats. Been looking at them for a couple of years. But in the end , I just wanted to save shipping cost from ordering from a third vendor and I’ve seen the SWT at Trail Days last year. So I kinda knew first hand what it looks like. Couldn’t really justify the WB Super Tarp as I likely wont need the extra coverage.

So that’s my initial set up for trying hammock camping. Not really any money left at this point to add keep warm stuff of the more expensive kind. Pads or blankets for now and what comes next , if any thing, will depend upon how I find I like hammock camping. I’m not a full hammock guy convert at this point, I also like traditional things too, just ordered a canvas tarp-tent from nwwoodsman for that close to the open front door warmth of a reflector backed open fire. It will mostly see duty at Boy Scout camporees I think or just over nights in the local mountains near the house.

Not really in the hammock camping club until I actually get out and hang over night. But hey – I’m on my way.

Thanks to all who provided input.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12