northeastern wi (packer country)

currently in the learning phase...my 3 person tent's pole started seperating last year..so i was in the market for a new tent and stumbled across videos on the HH which is where this idea started some video referred me to here...more on my background i have been in the national guard for the last 7 years deployed twice mos is 11b infantry...last year i purchased a fishing kayak and took a trip to sylvania wilderness in the UP in michigan had a great time its like a mini boundary waters with 34 lakes and portages between all bass catch and release barbless hooks....this year we have a trip planned to turtle flambeau flowage 5 days at end of june...
    couple questions
    1. has anyone tried a double sleeping bag system. with a pad insetered to the outer most sleeping bag?
    2. suspension i really dont understand all avaible options...im guessing more of what works best for you?
    3.still dont know which hammock is best for me didnt know there where so many?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Packer Country Noobie

Welcome to the neatest forum on the net. Provides my daily "FIX"...
    Stevens Point area here.
    Have camped at Sylvania and Turtle-Flambeau Flowage. Beautiful areas. Sylvania is numerous smallish lakes with portages. T-FF is big water with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Green Bay

Welcome from Wausau, I really want to try east of the sylvania area this summer on the NCT and also a canoeing/camping trip in the sylvania area. I have done the Turtle Flambeau but only in a tent. I really want to try the hammock there. Unfortunately most shops don't set up different hammocks to try out so a lot of this sport is buy and try (from online vendors) or you could try to catch a group hang and see what other people are using. As far as suspensions go, I use whoopie slings but yes it is whatever you prefer. Shug has some great videos, just go to youtube and type in Shug hammock camping and set aside an hour or two. You'll learn a lot plus he's really interesting to watch.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Welcome from Manitowoc.
    TF is a great place. I go at least once if not twice a year. It sounds like you get out quite a bit.

well...i have been camping since i was 3 mths old...i have been all over the state as a kid through my teen years my family camped every other weekend from may till sept...than as an adult i joined the infantry and tactical camped all over the world iraq, new mexico, georgia, germany, texas, missippi kuwait....now that im older i have gotten back into fishing my father brother and brother-in law all bought kayaks and have started once a year wilderness kayak trip guys only thing....part of the reason on kayaking thing my dad has had knee replacement so in order to get out far in nature paddling much easier than hiking...another reason out looking at hammocks is he wont have to get low to ground to sleep we are thinking it would be easier for an elevated sleeping place input would be appricated...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Noob in training
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopie
    Welcome to HF! I am so jealous of the area you people live in. I also got started with kayak fishing a few years ago and that lead to a few river camping trips and now here I am neck deep in hammock talk. Been talking so much about it i have friends buying hammocks and I have yet to recieve mine from warbonnet. I have a brother-in-law up north that runs a tucking co thru WI, you live in some beautiful country and deffnetly will enjoy hammocking. Happy hanging and Go Pack Go!

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    well...i have been camping since i was 3 mths old...i have been all over the state as a kid through my teen years my family camped every other weekend from may till sept...than as an adult i joined the infantry and tactical camped all over the world iraq, new mexico, georgia, germany, texas, missippi kuwait....now that im older i have gotten back into fishing my father brother and brother-in law all bought kayaks and have started once a year wilderness kayak trip guys only thing....part of the reason on kayaking thing my dad has had knee replacement so in order to get out far in nature paddling much easier than hiking...another reason out looking at hammocks is he wont have to get low to ground to sleep we are thinking it would be easier for an elevated sleeping place input would be appricated...
    Hammocks are not a "cure all". The fact is, some people just don't like them for various reasons. It's best if you can try one out or just one in your group try it and let the others do a few backyard hangs before committing. I use the hammock 85% of the time and have been doing it for 11 years. Just like everything else, you play with and tweak your system to suit your needs. All part of the fun! If you ever want to see or try a few systems, try to attend a "hang" and see a few different set-ups.

im in the process of trying to get Hennessy hammock to try and send me a demo will see how that goes...considering the nearest REI is in milwaukee and with gas prices i would spend $60 to get there and back i have a grand cherokee with a hemi

• + New Posts