WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Just received my new top quilt & wow is that odor strong. Laid it out on the back of the couch to check/air it out some and about that time my wife arrived home from work. She did some odds & ends walked by it a few times & starts dinner. She walks thru again & stops to say WHAT is that smell in here? Leans over gets a full smell of the quilt and about hurls "weak stomach". I'm still laughing as she says that smells worse than butt funk on a fat old man. Now I'm wondering how she knows what that smells like
    Needless to say my new quilt was thrown out the door banished to the porch for an undetermined amount of time.
    I still think its funny butttt was there ever a consenses on a recommended washing or just let it air out on its own?
    By the way I have an UQ same vendor a few years back & it never had this odor. Possibly these new geese are from the Detroit area ( just saying lol). Wife was from that area years ago and it always smelled horrible whenever we visited her family there.
    Nice colors on the quilt as I stare at it thru the window eating my dinner in silence. Sigh!

Hammock
    DD and DIY
    Tarp
    DD
    Insulation
    3/4 hammock gearUQ
    Suspension
    tree hugger straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Just received my new top quilt & wow is that odor strong. Laid it out on the back of the couch to check/air it out some and about that time my wife arrived home from work. She did some odds & ends walked by it a few times & starts dinner. She walks thru again & stops to say WHAT is that smell in here? Leans over gets a full smell of the quilt and about hurls "weak stomach". I'm still laughing as she says that smells worse than butt funk on a fat old man. Now I'm wondering how she knows what that smells like
    Needless to say my new quilt was thrown out the door banished to the porch for an undetermined amount of time.
    I still think its funny butttt was there ever a consenses on a recommended washing or just let it air out on its own?
    By the way I have an UQ same vendor a few years back & it never had this odor. Possibly these new geese are from the Detroit area ( just saying lol). Wife was from that area years ago and it always smelled horrible whenever we visited her family there.
    Nice colors on the quilt as I stare at it thru the window eating my dinner in silence. Sigh!
    I totally agree with the above (i too don't have a recollection of how i know what a fat old man's funky butt smells like). I also just received a new HG 20* burrow and yes it smells super bad. A lot of money for something i can't use right away! I think we are all great customers for venting on the forums instead of sending these stinky down quilts back..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    My HG20 has the same smell. Funny because I commented to the wife that it smells like an old wet dog. Doesn't really bother me either. I just hope it doesn't attract a hungry bear.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Indybeast View Post
    My HG20 has the same smell. Funny because I commented to the wife that it smells like an old wet dog. Doesn't really bother me either. I just hope it doesn't attract a hungry bear.
    Bear doubtful but vultures, well u might have a problem there.
    Did u clean it with anything or just going to let it air out? Airing it out is probably all I will do for now.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Bear doubtful but vultures, well u might have a problem there.
    Did u clean it with anything or just going to let it air out? Airing it out is probably all I will do for now.
    No I didn't clean it. It's just gonna air out as I use it. Right now it's sitting in a tote with my UQ. So I guess essentially it's gonna stink above and below. Oh well.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just got mine a week or so back and didn't notice a smell. I took it out of the stuff sack immediately and it has just been sitting out. I smelled it today after remembering this thread and no issues. I have not had it damp at all yet.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Mine also seems to have a dog odor, but I'm pretty sure I know why.

hammock nap.jpg

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I got a new tq from wilderness logics fro there sale. Didnt notice much of a smell when I opened it or was to happy. Spent the last 3 days in a moist damp and rainy swamp called camp barstow, and the smell was powerful. I own 2 dogs and spend my days as an animal control officer and volunteer my time with dog rescues and ironically enough a waterfowl rescue. Smells dont bother me unless I get a migrain. Then any smell is fatal. I have a ugq Phoenix I believe and although I am not the original owner I have used it many nights and never smelled anything. I knew when I got the tq I should have put it out for some air and sun, but we havent had much sun. I will air it out and see whats what.

My several year old golite quilt smells of old wet dog when it gets damp during the night from perspiration. It's amazing how much moisture you lose sweating during the night. That's going to make the down slightly damp and bam - wet dog smell.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    "I love the smell of geese in the morning. It smells like..........victory."
    Lmao ! U mean napalm. Been long time since I smelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Stop eating beans before retiring to your hammock..... just saying
    Amen! Just eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by southernwonton View Post
    You guys sound like a buch of Nancy's! Your camping! You poop in the woods! You dont bathe for days on end, and your worried about your "smelly" down. Come on. When stuff like this comes across my path, I always follow the adage "WWDD", what would (my) dad do. Would my dad ever complain of such trivial things. NOPE, cause he's a man.
    No kiddin! Take the new quilt and wrap yourself up in it and go sit near smokie campfire and give it a new smell. Smoke a good cigar and let the smoke cover it. Hang em up to store. Let me see,,I have 2 down beanies, I have 6 down jackets, 9 down quilts with 2 new ones on the way and love the smell of a mess of ducks after shooting them out of a blind especially when cleaning them. And I have 3 dogs as well. About new quilts. Hang them up. Let em air out. Use them. Enjoy life and the smells it gives u as its too short to be a biochie! Hang on!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast