Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The smell of de feet ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've tried setting mine in the sun as well as hanging them up for weeks...no luck either way...awful smell. Since I just moved from Alabama to Indiana (less humidity here), I'm going to try hanging them up here for a few weeks to see if that helps. If not, I'll be contacting HG to see what can be done with them. Sad thing is I spent so much money on them and have never used them...weren't needed in Alabama. Now that I'm in a colder environment where I have a chance to use them, I'm hesitant because the smell is so incredibly strong it'd be like sleeping in an alley.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters mod
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 1.1 sil
    Insulation
    Costco down mod
    Suspension
    straps & Amsteel
    I have one down sleeping bag and two down jackets. They've have the wet dog smell since I've bought them (different brands, at different times and through different companies). I also have one dri-down sleeping bag which is the only down I have that doesn't smell like a wet dog. I guess something they do in the processes of making it that loses the smell. I really like my down bags and jackets though, enough to tolerate the smell. I absolutely hate the smell of wet dog.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I ran into this with a set of Jacks R Better quilts. A washing with Down detergent and drying with new tennis balls and a couple of dryer sheets fixed it right up.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, DIY Argon 1.2, Hennesy
    Tarp
    DIY, Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SP Hooks/Dynaglide
    We all love the down! But yes it does have an oder to it. I do not recommend over washing it if it is not due. Too often people think if it does not smell like downey or tide punched you in the face that our clothing is not clean. I think fronkey said it earlier, the sun is your friend after a trip before you put it back in the gear room let the sun have a go at it. hanging it on the cloths line or draped over the hand rail will do wonders over any kind of chemical. I enjoy good smells too, so when I hang mine up in the gear room, I have cedar planks that I put in-between the quilts. weird but I like it.
    The Sluggard's craving will be the death of him, for his hands refuse to work.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    my two incubators have the smell. it's not as pungent now but it's still there. I wanted to order matching burrows but was concerned they would have the same smell. I emailed them about my concern and was told they would make things right if it did have the same smell. I've gotten used to the smell on the incubators so it doesn't bother me as much, but I don't think I could live with smelly top quilts that are right up against my face all night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Just used my HG Incubator 20 for the first time, @40 degrees. When I got under my superfly I detected an odor so strong (wet dog, poultry) I could barely get to sleep and didn't know what it was. In the morning when I packed up I smelled all of my equipment. My HG incubator 20 was definitely the culprit. It was pretty damp but wow was it strong! I'm very hopeful there is a solution because the HG fit my WBBB XLC like a glove and it was crazy warm!! I'm airing it out now and I know it's tied in with the damp air because there was no smell when I received it. It's definitely not just a down thing b/c I had my JRB top quilt in the same conditions with 0 odor. Any input is appreciated, I will add my customer service with Hammock Gear during the ordering process was 2nd to none!! If this goes away, no worries, but if it's always going to be like that I wouldn't be able to handle that smell. Please help, I wanna love it

Hammock
    12' SLD TL
    Tarp
    12' SLD TH/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG 20/40 sets
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n Straps
    I had the same odor when I got my Incubator/Burrow about 9 months ago...the smell seemed strong at first, but it faded pretty quickly after allowing it to air out for a few weeks. Now I can barely detect the odor (if at all) with it covering my face.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just purchased an Incubator 20 and a Burrow 20. They have a slight smell to them, but it seems to be more of a chemical smell from the fabric than the down. Maybe HG listened and changed suppliers?

I just took my Burrow 0 out for the first time last night and noticed it had the wet dog odor. It was only noticeable when I pulled the Burrow up over my face and head for warmth. Otherwise it didn't bother me. I'll probably put it out in the sun for awhile (if the sun ever comes back) and see if that works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast