DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

Question on pole mods

So far I've seen two basic types of pole mods: poles on the inside of the tarp and poles on the outside. I've been playing around with poles on the outside of my Tadpole. To experiment I attached rubberbands with a lark head knot to the side pull-outs and put my trek pole through them to see how that worked, then tried a tent pole. The tent pole was too long. My trek pole worked very well but I'm worried that it's too heavy and might rub on my tarp ridge. I also tried some scunci silicon hair bands in place of the rubberbands. The hair bands worked just as well--they didn't slide and are sturdier than the rubberbands.

Do you think I'm endangering my tarp if I use my trek pole? I have a cap to put over the end of the pole and thought about putting either the tarp stuff sack or some fleece under the pole where it meets the tarp. What do you think? I'll try to get some pictures.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

When I used an outside the tarp pole mod, I had to secure prussic loops on my ridgeline to house the poles and keep them in line and away from the tarp.

I personally didn't want any contact with the hammock from the outside and being anchored midway up the tarp. If something were to go wrong your tarps going to bear the brunt of it.

From the inside is different as the ends are usually a bit more secure and pose little risk of puncturing your tarp. Probably because they're longer.

I'd keep whatever you use pulled away from the outside of the tarp. I used prussiks on my pullouts so I could adjust the tension and not end up flattening out the top of the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    When I used an outside the tarp pole mod, I had to secure prussic loops on my ridgeline to house the poles and keep them in line and away from the tarp.

I personally didn't want any contact with the hammock from the outside and being anchored midway up the tarp. If something were to go wrong your tarps going to bear the brunt of it.

From the inside is different as the ends are usually a bit more secure and pose little risk of puncturing your tarp. Probably because they're longer.

I'd keep whatever you use pulled away from the outside of the tarp. I used prussiks on my pullouts so I could adjust the tension and not end up flattening out the top of the tarp.
    In order to do that, I would need something flexible enough to make an arc so the middle wouldn't touch?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Here are pictures. I have a piece of a camp towel between the pole and the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    though my example is from a different era, as well as from an entirely different type of camping(chuck wagon cooking & life on the trail), i think you will get the possible solution that came to my mind

use a ring/loop that fits the top of your pole & affix it to your tarp/fly in a manner that you are comfortable with

then just slip the pole tip in it

see the picture(i love pictures), to understand

sw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    In order to do that, I would need something flexible enough to make an arc so the middle wouldn't touch?
    Not necessarily. Tendertoe has a video on youtube about using your hiking poles in this application and I think he used prussiks on the pullouts as well, the line attatched to an end of the pole and you adjusted how tight it was cinched down with the prussic line. As long as you can put them over your ridgeline you're good, just need to make sure each line has enough to go up as high as your ridgeline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgZCZ-_iR0Q

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Here are pictures. I have a piece of a camp towel between the pole and the tarp.
    I think the camp towel is more than enough to protect the tarp. I would wrap the towel around the pole if there's going to be high winds.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Check out Sgt Rock's trekking pole set up. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=31714 I've seen this in use and it works well. Personally I think the pole should be inside the tarp for the best pitch, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Detail Man; 03-31-2013 at 16:55. Reason: added link

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Not necessarily. Tendertoe has a video on youtube about using your hiking poles in this application and I think he used prussiks on the pullouts as well, the line attatched to an end of the pole and you adjusted how tight it was cinched down with the prussic line. As long as you can put them over your ridgeline you're good, just need to make sure each line has enough to go up as high as your ridgeline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgZCZ-_iR0Q
    Thanks! That is exactly what I am trying to do. I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. It looks like I am close and need to add another piece of line to tighten things up.

Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I think the camp towel is more than enough to protect the tarp. I would wrap the towel around the pole if there's going to be high winds.
    I could just use a little duct tape to secure the wrap (on the camp towel, not the tarp).

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Check out Sgt Rock's trekking pole set up. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=31714 I've seen this in use and it works well. Personally I think the pole should be inside the tarp for the best pitch, but that's just me.
    It looks like this exceeds my DIY abilities.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Did you notice my white squirrel?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast