Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Blackbird Single 1.7 vs XLC blackbird Single 1.7

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and am overwhelmed by the amount of information contained here so I apologize if I am repeating someone elses questions. I have been a tent sleeper all of my life but have decided to try hammock sleeping. I do a fair amount of extended (5-7 day) backpacking trips and prefer to go as light as possible. I was looking at the Hennessy Explorer Ultralight, but when reading the forums, I get the impression that the Warbonnet Blackbird may be the way to go. I am 6'3 and about 200 lbs. so I think the WBBB would fit me just fine despite the cost difference between the two hammock manufacturers. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the WBBB Single 1.7 and the Warbonnet XLC Blackbird 1.7? Also any info on the pros and cons between the two would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I believe XLC stands for eXtra Long with Cover. Normal length of BB is 10' whereas XLC is 11'. I personally don't understand why its so hard to update the webpage with a small blurb, but there is an introduction thread under this same Warbonnet heading.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    The original 1.7 BB is a foot shorter than the xlc. The xlc has a removeable bugnet, and an overcover that can replace the bugnet for more warmth in cooler conditions. IMO, the xlc is the best of worlds. In the bugless seasons you can use it without the net to save weight or use the overcover for a little extra warmth.

I'm 6'1" 190lbs and I have the 1.1 double layer xlc. I love it. I've never owned the regular bb so hopefully someone with more experience in both can comment.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Blackbird Single 1.7 vs XLC blackbird Single 1.7

I'm new to this game too... I got the WBBB 1.7 double layer, & at 6'3", I find it pretty comfortable. I've never seen or tried an XLC, but I can see where the extra length might make it even more comfortable.

I imagine you'd be safe with either, if you have the extra $$$, spring for the XLC for the added comfort & accessories

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you all very much for the input! The xlc sounds great but at 10.5 oz heavier, I'm not sure if the added length and features would be worth it to carry on multiple 10+ mile days.

@Likeapuma
    With your 6'3" frame do you find there is plenty of head and foot room in the original BB 1.7 or are you pushing the length limits?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Blackbird Single 1.7 vs XLC blackbird Single 1.7

I imagine I'm in within a few inches of their intended max's? Idk, but every time I feel like my feet are too far into the footbox, it's usually because I'm not far enough towards the head end.

I still haven't been able to make myself UNcomfortable yet lol.

What cover does that XLC weight go to? Bugscreen, winter cover, or open?
    Last edited by Likeapuma; 05-21-2013 at 21:28.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I was spoiled from the beginning - I couldn't decide what hammock to get, so I went to a group hang to try some out - one thing about this group, they usually are more than happy to show you their gear. Anyway, Gunner76 let me try a WBBB and man was it nice. Now, to be honest, I didn't sleep the longest that night but I didn't wake up with concrete shoulder I typically get in the tent, either. Things only got better after that.

So, my first recommendation is to go to a group hangs if you have any in your area.

Another option - order them both & return one

I wrote up my thoughts on comparing the XLC to my WBBB here if that helps any.

Good luck in your choice... it's a win either way. If you ever pick one & decide to try the other, both have seen good resale value on here.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Tallpaul, I am always happy to help convert someone to the dark side.

I am 6ft2 and 280lbs and find my BB plenty big ( I use a 1.7 dbl and a 1.1 dbl ). I usually don't even use the side pull outs.

My wife who is 5ft 3 managed to turn completely around in her BB one night. Went to wake her up in the AM and found her feet at the head end.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Tallpaul, I am always happy to help convert someone to the dark side.

My wife who is 5ft 3 managed to turn completely around in her BB one night. Went to wake her up in the AM and found her feet at the head end.
    Wow - how you saw my reply that quickly - you must have some powers!

I'm also 6'2" as well and the WBBB fits my fine. Though I can't get my youngest daughter out of it anymore.

I can't imagine, though, completely swapping head/foot in the middle of the night without knowing it

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I like to keep my base weight down as well. I went with the 1.7 single for that reason. I am 170 lbs and close to 6'2". And I find there is plenty of room. I tried a Henessy first that a friend had and fought with it all night. The next morning, I looked it up on the web and noticed it was for campers up to 6'. Their larger hammocks were too heavy in my opinion so I went looking elsewhere and decided in the WB. I couldn't be happier. If memory serves, the BB should be good up to 6'8". You can send them an email and give them your height, weight and that you are looking to keep your load light and i am sure they would be happy to let you know which would be your best option.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast