Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

A dog tent designed by Raiffnuke

Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    My girl is crate trained. It doesn't mean she likes it, that's for sure. And, I've not had to use one for her since I got her. So, I'm pretty sure she's going to have to have some training and treats to get her use to it. My plan, after it's built, is for it to be her bed full time. I'll take parts of her bed, and use it for the flooring for now. She'll have almost a year before she's going to be sleeping in it full time on the trail.

She was a crack up learning how to walk in those dog boots. Now, she waits for me to get my butt in gear.

Bailey TrailDog by One Thing AT, on Flickr
    She's a cutie! Lots more fur than mine. Jackson is crate trained but to him it's his home, not a punishment. He goes in only when we are gone for long periods, which isn't often. I've debated getting the boots. He's so neurotic about his feet though, I'm afraid he'd just chew them off!

(The first time I put my horse in boots, he forgot how to walk! )
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

She's My 1st Dog

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    She's a cutie! Lots more fur than mine. Jackson is crate trained but to him it's his home, not a punishment. He goes in only when we are gone for long periods, which isn't often. I've debated getting the boots. He's so neurotic about his feet though, I'm afraid he'd just chew them off!

(The first time I put my horse in boots, he forgot how to walk! )
    She's my 1st dog, (Border Collie & Australian Shepard) and the love of my life. I've had her for 6 yrs, and it's the reason I'm taking so much time to find the right tent for her. She's with me 24/7, so I worry more about her than myself.

I've looked at so many products for dogs, but none seem to really fit my needs for a trail dog that will be doing big miles. So, I learned, (learning) how to use a sewing machine, watch for threads here on HF about DIY gear, and go from there.

I was hoping to keep it under a pound, so hearing yours comes in @ 11ozs gives me hope.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

I need something a LITTLE bigger...

We have been trying to come up with something for my big baby Cletus. He is a 9 month old 130lb Daniff (Great Dane/English Mastiff). In the warmer trips he has a nylon/fleece blanket that he sleeps on under the tarp with us. But as he has gotten bigger and are colder than normal trip last week we had to get a little more creative. We took my 25 year old 1 man Bivy tent and he pretty much destroyed it trying to get out of it. He is almost 3 feet tall at the shoulders. I think this design might work, if we up size it quite a bit. We have also talked about his own tarp, in either an A frame or lean to type.

Any giant dog ideas are greatly appreciated. The pics are from last weeks trip.

HB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

I would go with a Tarp

For a dog that large, I would start with a small tarp & go from there. There are so many ways of setting them up. I can think of a few ideas, but would be very wordy to describe it here. I'll see if I can find some pics and maybe do a drawing.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That's awesome all around. Great design. Nice job to all those that had a hand in making this. Raiff I'm sure ya did a great sewing job. However I wonder if you could get away with out using the carbon fiber poles. I was thinking more of a teepee style tent. That could cut down on some weight. I't also prevent any rain from building up on the top of the doggie tent. Just some thoughts, again great job.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

A dog tent designed by Raiffnuke

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    That's awesome all around. Great design. Nice job to all those that had a hand in making this. Raiff I'm sure ya did a great sewing job. However I wonder if you could get away with out using the carbon fiber poles. I was thinking more of a teepee style tent. That could cut down on some weight. I't also prevent any rain from building up on the top of the doggie tent. Just some thoughts, again great job.
    LRR
    Thanks, but I had no part of the construction, just the design. Lilprincess and Nighthauk did a great job with the construction.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    LRR
    The poles really do help with the structural integrity of the sides. I've noticed that it needs all the help it can get when he doesn't get in it right, or wags his tail too much..
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock

Re: A dog tent designed by Raiffnuke

Awesome idea. I will be looking for the final design so I can try one out. I would try to make one myself now but with only seeing one and models I don't think I could do any better (much worse I would guess). Great job y'all!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Half Teepee

LRR
    One of my 1st designs was a half Teepee. Like you stated, it allows the rain to run off. I've had all my materials for a few months now, but I keep changing my mind on the final design. One of my problems, is using some bug netting in the design, so that I can use it both in summer and winter.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube

Hammock
    HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock

Re: A dog tent designed by Raiffnuke

Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    One of my 1st designs was a half Teepee. Like you stated, it allows the rain to run off. I've had all my materials for a few months now, but I keep changing my mind on the final design. One of my problems, is using some bug netting in the design, so that I can use it both in summer and winter.
    Could you use the bug netting for the construction and then have the other material as a drape that is sewn from the top and you can roll it up and keep it up in the summer and then roll it down in case of rain or the cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast