Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Kudos JaxHiker! You FL hangers did a great public service with your parks.
    I'm hoping we've done enough. For you FL folks, we're almost at the end of the pilot. I didn't get a date so I presume it will stop at the end of April and not sometime in the middle. So get out to your local parks and fill out those surveys!

I've contacted the State and passed along the info for Arkansas. I'm also trying to find out what the timeframe is before we know if we'll see a permanent change in policy. On the first point I'll follow up with Mr. Butts in a few days to see if he's been contacted. On the second I'll share what I learn as soon as I hear something.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    This is awesome, I intend to go across country this summer and wondered how I would plan it, which park etc. When you have gathered your answers were you going to setup a single thread where people can reference the states?
    im hoping that once this is finished, the mods would make this a sticky so we can all reference it.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    At what point do we turn this thread into an organizational thing for the Million Hammock Hang in Washington, DC?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Images

Re: The 50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks

Been out of touch for a while with other projects and ran into this thread, much pleased, since I had posted that one message back in December about hammocks in state parks in Louisiana. I'll make it a point to check back in with that same park west of New Orleans this next trip I make there, about the middle of May.

In Oregon, have been able to hang in a park but when I think about it, it was a Lincoln County park on the Alsea River. Cost me the standard camping fee of $20 and while the park manager was interested, he was totally unfamiliar with hammock camping. He solidly approved of my set up with a standard web attachment to the trees. Thought it looked funny as heck though. Considering the tarp set up on the other side of the access road from me, I figure he's got a strange sense of humor. Anybody who will pitch a half-pyramid tarp set up and not make use of trees & bushes for wind breaks amused the heck out of me. But I'm funny that way I guess.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    If no one has started a table or spreadsheet I'd be more than happy to organize it on Google and update as data is given. Database Management was part of what I did for 13 years. I have sleep issues too and it would give me something constructive to do!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Outstanding project!!! Thanks for doing this!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    At this time we don’t allow hammocks in our State Parks but I will have our legislation people look into it and forward your email for consideration. I have also attached a link for our Ad Rules that would have to be changed by the legislature if this were going to proceed. http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/adrules/...nts/17-130.pdf

Barbara Foster
    Program Assistant
    Parks & Recreation
    IL Dept. of Natural Resources
    Spfld, IL 62702
    217-785-8129 Main Line
    217-785-2438 Fax

I read the regulations and it can be argued hammock camping falls under "Primitive Camp".

d) Primitive Camp - any camp using a shelter carried to a site via bicycle, canoe, horse or on the back of a camping member.

Nowhere are hammocks specifically prohibited. They are simply not directly addressed or defined in the regulations as tent, trailer and vehicle camping are.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

[QUOTE=hawghangar;979661]
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    I am in receipt of your information about the subject. At present, one of our policies can be interpreted to prohibit hammock camping. I’m interested in finding out more information from my colleagues in South Carolina and Florida. I appreciate you sending along the idea.

Greg Butts
    Director, Arkansas State Parks
    1 Capitol Mall
    Little Rock, AR 72201
    (Work) 501-682-7743
    (Cell) 501-837-3070
    [email protected]
    www.arkansasstateparks.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda +1 on this sentiment. I've never heard of an Arkansas State Park that prohibits hammock camping, but I hope some bureaucrat in Little Rock doesn't decide to make an interpretation based on an official inquiry - and create a formal policy against it.
    +1 on that.

However, we've camped with hammocks in a number of Arkansas state parks (and will be doing so with the Cub Scouts with at least 5 hangers next weekend) and have never been hassled by rangers. If they comment at all, they usually say something along the lines of, "Huh. That's cool," and we have a little conversation about hammock camping. I'm usually quick to point out that straps don't damage trees.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks for all of the hard work, Rev. This one's getting bookmarked for easy reference when I go out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    At what point do we turn this thread into an organizational thing for the Million Hammock Hang in Washington, DC?
    If you can find one-point-five million trees, correctly spaced for a two-hammock hang (or two million trees, correctly spaced for a single hammock hang), within DC city limits, I'll buy you a beer.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Director Tommy Mutz asked me to respond to your inquiry regarding the use of hammocks. New Mexico State Parks Division rules do not address the use of hammocks, so they are not prohibited. However, state parks property and resources are protected by state laws and state parks rules. So, if hammocks are used in a fashion that does not conflict with our laws or rules, use of hammocks is allowed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for your interest in New Mexico State Parks .

Steve Tafoya

Field Operations Bureau Chief

New Mexico State Parks Division

1220 S. St. Francis Drive

Santa Fe, NM 87505

[email protected]

Thank you so much for your email and continued support of Idaho’s State Parks. I shared your email with our two Region Managers and our Deputy Attorney General, who’s consensus is as follows:

Hammock’s are allowed as long as they do not exceed the section 05. Camping Unit 1 family or 8 persons maximum or associated vehicle maximums nor violate section 576. Protection of historical, Cultural and Natural Resources as stated below and of course pay the respective fees:

05. Camping Unit. A camping unit is the combined equipment and people capacity that a site or facility will accommodate. (3-30-06) a. Campsites. Maximum capacity limits on each campsite are subject to each site's design and size. Unless otherwise specified, the maximum capacity will be one (1) family unit or a party of no more than eight (8) persons, two (2) motor vehicles or one (1) RV or two (2) motorcycles, and up to two (2) tents, provided the combined equipment and people fit within the designated camping area of the site selected.

576.PROTECTION OF HISTORICAL, CULTURAL AND NATURAL RESOURCES.
    The digging, destruction or removal of historical, cultural or natural resources is prohibited. Collection for scientific and educational purposes will be through written permission of the park manager or designee only.

I hope this provides an answer to your question. Please let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

Jennifer

Jennifer Okerlund
    Communications Manager
    Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation
    Ph: (208) 514-2254
    Fax: (208) 334-5232
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast