HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web

Sewing No-See-Um Mesh

I'm wondering if any sew-savvy/thread-injecting wizards have any tips for sewing no-see-um mesh? Specifically in using the mesh with folders and other such devices. I've been told to lessen the foot pressure, iron on interfacing to help stiffen up the mesh and prevent too much stretching.

Stretching is really the issue. I'm using a needle feed, twin needle, machine with a lap seam folder and though I can do silnylon all day on this thing perfectly the results I get with the mesh aren't consistent and less than satisfactory. I haven't tried using interfacing yet (I do have a little, just haven't gotten around to it yet), but wanted to see if there were any other tips out there for working with and manipulating this stuff.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildewudu View Post
    I'm wondering if any sew-savvy/thread-injecting wizards have any tips for sewing no-see-um mesh? Specifically in using the mesh with folders and other such devices. I've been told to lessen the foot pressure, iron on interfacing to help stiffen up the mesh and prevent too much stretching.

Stretching is really the issue. I'm using a needle feed, twin needle, machine with a lap seam folder and though I can do silnylon all day on this thing perfectly the results I get with the mesh aren't consistent and less than satisfactory. I haven't tried using interfacing yet (I do have a little, just haven't gotten around to it yet), but wanted to see if there were any other tips out there for working with and manipulating this stuff.
    After 2 TQs with baffles and a RidgeLine Bag, I had no issues with it. I made no changes from ripstop to NoSeeUm Mesh

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Hopefully there won't be much stress on the Mesh/netting, so the sewing shouldn't need to be perfect. IMO

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web

Wink

No issues whatsoever doing something like making quilts or even sewing onto itself; just when I run the mesh through a folder it gets a little difficult to get a perfect fold in it...

I'm using one of these: http://tinyurl.com/bvojwx2

Nylon to nylon or nylon is no problem and I get decent, though still somewhat erratic, results sewing nylon to no-see-um...but try to run no-see-um to no-see-um through the folder, forget it! Hopefully, the stabilizer material will do the trick, though I was hoping to figure out a way to not have to use it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Sewing No-See-Um Mesh

I generally try to avoid pins, but not in the case of mesh.
    The more pins, the better.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    I generally avoid pins altogether nowadays. If anything, I will use the little plastic fabric clamps quilters use if I need to hold something together. Otherwise, once I've got the fabric fed into the machine the feed dogs and walking needle does the rest.

No problems working with no-see-um until I tried to feed it through a folder for a lap seam. I did finally get something workable and decent (except for a 1" spot where the seam undid itself and the second stitchline went off one edge) but now I think I got the 'feel' for it.

Figured out a little trick to get the netting to fold the way I want it to and I think a few more practice runs and I'll have it down pat. I didn't try using any interfacing, since I haven't noticed any tent makers using it for their screening, but I did change the foot to a twin needle teflon foot and that seemed to help. At least, I achieved better control once I made the switch.

It can be so frustrating when the fabric doesn't want to do what you tell it to, but then so satisfying when everything finally comes together!
    Last edited by wildewudu; 04-11-2013 at 22:51.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    As a Virgo (if you believe in such things), I tend to be a perfectionist. Stress or not, I don't want to look at something that ain't perty. Aside from that, I'm working on a super secret kickstarter project so I want it to look the best that it can. I know I'm not the first person whose butt has been kicked by one of these lap seam folders; but, you know what they say, 'practice makes perfect'!

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    Hopefully there won't be much stress on the Mesh/netting, so the sewing shouldn't need to be perfect. IMO

• + New Posts