1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

To sock or not to sock

I live in the foothills of the Apps in NE Georgia and we get a lot of rolling fog in the mornings... Would my tarp (Etowah 8 X 10) be sufficient coverage for this fog so that my bag and hammock would not get wet in the morning? Or should I consider a hammock sock?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    When you're in a fine misty blowing fog, a tarp simply won't keep the moisture off. Over time, it will collect some moisture on the underside of the tarp and on the outside of most of your gear. All you can really do is to keep everything stowed away, and your pack inside a cover or garbage bag. A sock will help keep moisture off your hammock/quilts, but you'll need to take it off and pack it seperately. Use every opportunity to dry things out when/if the fog lifts.

I find that misty fog is one of the more challenging conditions to stay dry in, even more than driving rain. An enclosed tarp can help some, but when there's that much moisture in the air, even that will have condensation issues of it's own sometimes. YMMV.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 02-10-2009 at 09:54. Reason: added last part
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok I am leaning towards getting a sock... and I am not sewing inclined by any means... so what would be my options of getting one

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There really aren't any commercial hammock socks for sale. You can try posting a thread in the 'Gear You're Looking For' section, and perhaps you can contract someone to make one to your specs.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

sock makers!

I dont know about his availability but FishinFinn is a pretty good sock maker!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I've been looking for a sock for awhile as well but no such luck yet.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I dont know about his availability but FishinFinn is a pretty good sock maker!
    But I can never figure out if they should be knee length, or crew.

Seriously, I'm good at prototypes and hatching up ideas - my sewing isn't up to par of someone like skskinner, ncpatrick, Dutch, Grizz, ramblinrev, shug, etc., etc.,...... get the trend here?

I really need to get better at making directions for my gear for others to improve upon, and also putting pics up of all the different things I've done. But I never think it will turn out, so when it does I am surprised (and forced to recreate my steps to create the instructions.) Plus, I'm a man and terrible at following directions, let alone making them. Kind of a free-wheeler when it comes to doing anything - do it my way, and live with the results.

I do have lots of sock designs, and several prototypes floating around the country right now (and even one on its way overseas.) But I could never charge anyone for the stuff I muddle my way through, even using my own fabric and supplies. It's enough if someone likes what I make and uses it in some fashion, but I will never be a manufacturer of gear and never have a desire to go that route, and it gets expensive to keep giving stuff away (if I'd only win the lottery, every member would get something free from me.) I have enough timetables to meet - don't need to add more expectations. If I could only get rid of the ones I already have!

Speaking of which, I think skskinner was selling weathercovers (socks) at one point.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Socks are a really indispensable piece of gear, IMHO, but they have to be used correctly. The top portion of the sock has to be made from a highly breathable material. Untreated ripstop works well. I know some people have used DWR, but I have never had any condensation issues with untreated material. I have had condensation issue

I am also of the firm belief that socks are a cool/cold weather piece of gear. The temperature has to be at least 40* or lower before I use my sock. I have used it in warmer weather as protection from the elements, but it gets pretty stuffy and humid inside a sock in warmer temps. Using a sock that has good venting will help eliminate the stuffy climate.

I think that one is better off using a top and bottom weather shield setup instead of the enclosed sock in warmer weather.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Socks are a really indispensable piece of gear, IMHO, but they have to be used correctly. The top portion of the sock has to be made from a highly breathable material. Untreated ripstop works well. I know some people have used DWR, but I have never had any condensation issues with untreated material. I have had condensation issue

I am also of the firm belief that socks are a cool/cold weather piece of gear. The temperature has to be at least 40* or lower before I use my sock. I have used it in warmer weather as protection from the elements, but it gets pretty stuffy and humid inside a sock in warmer temps. Using a sock that has good venting will help eliminate the stuffy climate.

I think that one is better off using a top and bottom weather shield setup instead of the enclosed sock in warmer weather.
    Yes, I've seen your condensation issue at Mt. Rogers with your topcover.

Have you tried that fancy sock you scored off of me at at Mt. Rogers yet? I'm curious - it was a totally untested design/fabric combo, so I need to know if it works. Oh, and for anyone reading this thread, HC4U roasts some mean coffee! I thought I died and went to coffee heaven when I brewed up some of his roast!
    Last edited by fin; 02-10-2009 at 15:22.

Maybe make the entire sock from highly breathable non-DWR and just giving the lower portion a good soaking in Scotchguard? That would have to be reapplied periodically but it would be simpler to make.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast