DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Thank you so much for the pictures. I love mountains! Next to water, mountains are my favorite. Great trip report, and great pics!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Mt Shuksan was mostly obscured by clouds but Mt Sefrit was briefly visible.......... Maybe I'll go back when it's clear, make a hammock camp and gawk at Mt Shuksan and other peaks in the evening and morning?
    Thanks for the great report and pics!

I was a little luckier ( with the weather and views) last time I was there! At least on the last day when we got up close to Shuksan and Baker.

We weren't so lucky just a day or two earlier trying to see the Blue Glacier on Mt.Olympus- most of the time, nothing but clouds and fog and lightly misting rain. That made any nice views fleeting at best:

You're lucky to have such grand hanging country right outside your door! Envy!

I am not surprised that you over heated with all of that gear inside the PeaPod, unless you had the pod pretty wide open. Good info about the frozen condensation inside your soc. Did you stay condensation free on the bottom, since you used the space blanket?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-13-2009 at 17:09.

Images
    Another problem was keeping the PeaPod from touching the ground while I put it on the hammock. The PeaPod is big and made of top notch down. The ground was near freezing so the PeaPod did not get wet. If the ground were wet like it normally is, the PeaPod would've gotten wet and wet down gear freaks me out.
    It can for sure be a challenge to keep the pod ( or other UQs) off of the ground when installing, though you get better with practice. One reason I sometimes just leave them on once installed, and stuff hammock and quilt ( or SS) into one large bag. Then when setting up, by leaving all in the bag except the first rope/webbing being wrapped around the 1st tree, i can keep things dry as I walk towards the other tree and attach.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I enjoyed your TR. Those mountains call for camping......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Not bad for a "first real night out" LOL!
    Great pics of some outrageously breathtaking vistas.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    If you guys like mountain peak photos check out this trip report from last summer on the Pacific Crest Trail in the North Cascades.

On this trip, most of the peaks were covered by clouds as is normally the case in winter around here. But, for the last 4+ weeks we've had unusually dry, mild weather. It seems the normal storm tracks have been bypassing this part of the Northwest and hitting to the south.

Last winter '07-'08 was snowy. There was a deep snowpack with winter-like snowstorms dumping powder in mid/late April. Pic below from right near where BillyBob58's Mt Shuksan photo was taken.

---------------------

Billybob58,
    Did you stay condensation free on the bottom, since you used the space blanket?
    Yes, no condensation on the bottom. Warmth keeps it from building up I suppose?

It was weird that I was too warm at about 1am (?) but barely warm enough the last hour or so. Metabolism? Ought to keep a snack nearby.

Thanks for the tips on the new Speer gear.

------------------------

Glad everybody liked the TR. If you ever come to the Western mountains in winter and snowplay, try to come in February on when the snowpack is deeper and days are longer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    It was weird that I was too warm at about 1am (?) but barely warm enough the last hour or so. Metabolism? Ought to keep a snack nearby.
    There seems to be something about the last hour or two before daybreak being the hardest to stay warm. I saw someone mention that the other day and they were sleeping on the ground. They said something about a drop in temperature because of air currents caused by the sun/day break approaching?? Could be a lot of things, metabolism, urination or urge to, blood circulation from laying in one position, etc or a combination of several things.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I noticed the same on my first winter hang. It was at the Pine Barrens in NJ with the Iafte crowd. Slept warm most of the night but about 5 am I was briskly cold. Decided to get up and get out since I had a long drive ahead.

I thought it was just me. Nice to know I am in good company.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I noticed that also. When I use to hunt and went out about an hour before sunrise it would always seem to get colder as the sun started coming up.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It was at the Pine Barrens in NJ with the Iafte crowd.
    I have my own crowd! Cool. If I get more followers will it be a gaggle, or a mob?

I have noticed it too, but that's usually the last trip to water a tree and I warm up once back in the hammock.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast