Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Good tip. Thank you! I also have a Z-Lite that rarely gets used. You are not attaching it in any way, just laying it under the Neoair?
    Not attaching it. I've been using it mostly with my Ridgerunner, in which case I put the NeoAir in the sleeve and place the Zlite directly under me. I've had no condensation issues so far. It may have something to do with the nubs on the Zlite which may allow for a little air circulation.

I've also used the Zlite directly under the pad which also works well. One of the reasons I like the NeoAir Xlite is due to it's somewhat sticky texture which seems to keep everything in place. I think those two are a great combination. BTW....the newer NeoAir Xlites are way less noisy/crinkly than the older versions.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Thanks Miguel! I'll have to experiment...

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    My Downmat 9 does OK with no more than 50% fill.
    The full length UQ from Wilderness Logics is easier to use though. Don't have to mess with inflating, deflating, etc.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Just got back from a 3 day backpacking trip using the downmat UL 7 with the WBRR. I've been posting some issues I've had integrating it into my system. I came from underquilts but wanted the versatility of a pad since there will be times where I'll have to go to ground. It definitely excels there.

However, this weekend was the first weekend I actually got it to work for me. Granted it was with a replacement mat but I was actually WAY too warm the 2nd night out. I should've shed some layers but I was too tired, just unzipped my bag.

Now in a RR, I think I prefer the mat (when it works) just because of how easy it is to get a flat lay, I feel like the mat helps with the form of the hammock, and I enjoy sitting up a little bit higher.

I would recommend an uq under cover. Mine from 2QzQ seems too long, or I don't know how to use it properly but it seemed about 2 or 3 ft. too long for the ridgerunner. Or again, I'm just not familiar with how to properly use that piece of gear. So I used my rain jacket over my foot end, arms over the dynaglide and that seemed to stop any draft getting up my mat.

It was 21* the first night and I slept like a baby til morning.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I really didn't like an airmat in my hammocks when I first started using them.

They felt tippy, awkward and a bit poor compared to UQ's or even CCF. The more I use them, the more used to it I get and I find they actually work quite well now. They are still a poor cousin IMO to an UQ but solve a big problem for those of us who venture out of the trees.

Like Slo, I used to wake up multiple times in the night, nearly falling out but now find I don't even move in the night. Like getting an UQ snugged up right, they take a bit of perseverance I think to dial in properly. I've got used to my 9lw now and can get a nice asym lay.

Like SLo too, a jacket over the foot end works wonders for draughts.

I have been lurking on this thread as I recently purchased a Downmat 7 LW. I have to go to ground frequently (Cub Scouts). It is fantastic in a tent. I was hoping that I could use it in my hammock as well.

This weekend had a chance: Down to 32 F. I inflated the mat so that there was air distributed throughout and shook it to loft the down. I'll estimate that it was 70% filled. It was still very mobile. I layed on it for about 10 minutes during the day just to see if it would work. I then went to bed at 11 PM. Was wonderful until about 2:30 AM. At that time I was awakend by cold spots in whatever spot had the most pressure. My guess is that the air had a chance to work it's way to be more toward the feet. I still could feel some air when I reached between the layers of my WBBB. I tried to gt back to sleep, but I dont tolerate cold spots as well as I want. Got up and put on my DIY insultex. that was much better.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears. I would like the option of going to ground if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    I have been lurking on this thread as I recently purchased a Downmat 7 LW. I have to go to ground frequently (Cub Scouts). It is fantastic in a tent. I was hoping that I could use it in my hammock as well.

This weekend had a chance: Down to 32 F. I inflated the mat so that there was air distributed throughout and shook it to loft the down. I'll estimate that it was 70% filled. It was still very mobile. I layed on it for about 10 minutes during the day just to see if it would work. I then went to bed at 11 PM. Was wonderful until about 2:30 AM. At that time I was awakend by cold spots in whatever spot had the most pressure. My guess is that the air had a chance to work it's way to be more toward the feet. I still could feel some air when I reached between the layers of my WBBB. I tried to gt back to sleep, but I dont tolerate cold spots as well as I want. Got up and put on my DIY insultex. that was much better.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears. I would like the option of going to ground if needed.
    As warm as it's been during the day, up in the 50-60's this past weekend, then getting to freezing at night. I'd be willing to bet you had some deflation as the air inside the mat cooled. I think if you'd have put some more air in it you'd have been back to where you first were.

The same principle with your tarp. If you set it up in 70* nice and taught and come back at midnight and it's 32* you're going to notice a lot of sag and nothing has changed but the temp.

Also, and I really think this helped b/c I think the real trick with pads is eliminating draft since it's a more rigid object, you may want to try zipping your rain shell or down jacket or whatever over the foot box. This helps trap that warm air so you're not just warm on the spots making contact. I noticed a big difference after doing this but dont' know if it's because of the replacement mat or the jacket, maybe a combo of both. But try it out.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I have the SynMat 7 Deluxe and have not been able to get it working with my WBBB though I'd like to. I personally have had more success with underquilts and CCF like the ThermaRest Ridge Rest. I love the SynMat when I am in the tent, however!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12