ENO Doublenest, Soon to be DIY
    Tarp
    Don't yet have one
    Insulation
    Don't yet have
    Suspension
    Slapstraps for now

Too warm with a UQ?

As a newbie, I am looking to make a UQ. I was looking at a PLUQ, but I see that they are good down to ~45*. I have read that you should use a UQ for anything under 60* (give or take). Now if the PLUQ is good to 45, will I be too warm with it at the upper end? I can imaging that theres nothing more annoying than having to get up in the middle of the night to take your UQ off, only to freeze because you're then too cold. Should I just jimmy my sleeping bag around my hammock in warmer environments (58-60)?

Shouldn't be a problem. You can vent it, as in have it set up but not cinch it down tight. Or you might be fine anyways. Because it is under you it's not going to make you overheat...I've heard it explained like your bed at home, it doesn't make you hotter if you have a thicker mattress.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You'll be ok. I use a pluq inside every night. Mrs. Fish keeps it 77 in here...I've also used them in lower than 45 temps(~30) and survived the night with supplemental insulation on top...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Howdy... Temps are subjective.. Actually I have been using a o degree full time in my house.. Venting is soon learned.. Besides that, an uq is a different animal..
    You actually need to trap the air above it to get the full effect of one, so.. If it is really warm, use no tq at all, and gradually add one as needed... the warmer the uq the less tq is needed...To a point.. Have no fear.. You will be just fine..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What they said.

Also, I live in a place where we get multiple warm nights, and I'm a particularly warm sleeper. When it's too warm for the underquilt (even vented), I simply push it to one side of the hammock. If it gets cold enough during the night, I reach under the hammock and drag it back into place.

Same as you would with a top quilt, except that the underquilt is, well, underneath you...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Don't yet have one
    Insulation
    Don't yet have
    Suspension
    Slapstraps for now
    Thanks everyone! FLRider, I'm actually a Gator grad, in DC by way of GV. Florida camping is exactly what I had in mind when I posed this question!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sfitsea View Post
    Thanks everyone! FLRider, I'm actually a Gator grad, in DC by way of GV. Florida camping is exactly what I had in mind when I posed this question!
    Well...above 65*, I don't even bother with putting anything under the hammock. You know how summer FL nights are...it's part of what attracted me to hammocking: the ability to stay relatively cool even in sweltering heat.

On the other hand, I'm a nearly inhumanly warm sleeper; 65* is too cold for most folks to go without under insulation. Figure 70* to 75* for most folks to be comfy thereabouts. YMMV, of course.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Don't yet have one
    Insulation
    Don't yet have
    Suspension
    Slapstraps for now
    Awesome. Yeah I was thinking those random breezy nights where it's 75 at bed time, and 65 by 5 am, then 95 by noon. Haha

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sfitsea View Post
    Awesome. Yeah I was thinking those random breezy nights where it's 75 at bed time, and 65 by 5 am, then 95 by noon. Haha
    Yeah, the transition seasons're tough down here. If you're looking for an ultralight way to stay warm-ish in the 60s (like during high summer in the mid-Atlantic or eight months out of the year here), it might be worth looking at a semi-Garlington insulator. I've been using one for the last ~10 months during warmer weather, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

What I do is take my poncho (it opens up along its length and is specifically designed for this, but a DriDucks poncho modded with the JRB Weather Shield will work as well) and stuff a crumpled-up space blanket into it. The space blanket helps to block air movement under the hammock, but isn't quite as good as a true underquilt. For most folks, that should be good down to ~60* F or so at a weight penalty of ~4 oz over and above the regular kit. Disadvantage is that you can't use your poncho to go to the bathroom during the night without dismounting it from the hammock.

Anyway, this has kept me from freezing as low as 43* F (I was very cold that night but was able to sleep for 90- to 120-minute intervals) and comfy as low as 55* F. Figure 60* to 65* for most folks.

Photos of the set up can be found in this thread (scroll down to the second post for a photo and the third post for a video containing it; my insulation system starts at ~8:35 in the video).

Hope it helps!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Don't yet have one
    Insulation
    Don't yet have
    Suspension
    Slapstraps for now
    Many thanks!