Images

My first "bad" night in the hammock

So the boy and I decide we want to sleep out last night at the last minute. We set up the hammocks in the backyard and pull the DIY pads we have, version 1 to be specific.

I went to sleep roughly around 9:30 and slept solid until 3:30. Now this is 6 hours of lights out, stone cold, don't know the world is turning sleep. I generally don't get much more than that on a good night in the Simmons Beautyrest. Culprit? Cold spot on the shoulders. Did a few wiggles and twists that my wife wouldn't even believe I could do and got on my right side. Started debating the vesissitudes of pad version 1 and pad version 2 and what a pad version 3 would hold or should I break down and get a UQ when I wake up and it's 7:00 am. Sweet! Another 3+ hours of sweet hammock heaven with a bonus of dreaming of hammock related gear.

What we learned:

I really got to focus more when setting these puppies up.

Pad version 1 is no good and needs to be scrapped completely.

Still thinking of a cover for version 2 to make it more comfortable.

Seriously have to try a UQ to settle the question of how will I get the most sleeping positions with the least amount of contortions

All in all the boy and I had a blast sleeping out.

Conclusion: A bad night in the hammock is better than a good night in the house. Just sayin'

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, at least you ended up at the proper conclusion.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9 or 12
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    What is pad version #1?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russelj2 View Post
    What is pad version #1?
    I took two CCF pads with egg shell put them together to make one wide pad, then cut about 5 inches off each side and reattached to make shoulder covers. This was a 30" center with 5" sides each and the full length. Think of a SPE without the syl. The attachement (headliner glue spray) ultimately failed. What we used last night was a section of the overall pad that was basically a 3/4 pad for me and 4/5 pad for the boy. The cold spot showed up at the attachment point. Just not wide enough for my herculean physique.

Version 2 was a CCF plank 48" x 108" that I cut into 30" widths giving me three pads each 30" x 48". These worked great but the edges are a little harsh on the bare skin (it should rub the lotion on its skin when told - I know someone is thinking it).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used pads for a couple of years - there was the inevitable condensation, which didn't bother me 'cause I had a synthetic 0* sleeping bag.

Backpacking is what made me convert to TQ/UQ. The synthetic sleeping bag was huge, heavy and wouldn't compress much. The pad on the outside of my pack was a drag too. I not only lowered my weight by going to TQ/UQ, but also reduced volume significantly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I suspect once you try an UQ, you'll be hooked. I certainly was. You're right though. Any "bad" hammock nights I've had were better than a good night on the ground.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The issues are not new.... We tried 18 different pad composites, shapes and sizes until we gave it up the winter of 2003 and designed the first commercially available UQ, the Nest... Warm and cozy no matter what since then.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The issues are not new.... We tried 18 different pad composites, shapes and sizes until we gave it up the winter of 2003 and designed the first commercially available UQ, the Nest... Warm and cozy no matter what since then.

Pan
    I've looked at, rather should I say I've drooled over, the nest. I think I can rock a 3/4 UQ and still be comfortable if not in the lap of luxury. The issue there is cost. I know I can DIY something for "fairly cheap" it's just the time issue there. Not exactly a rock and a hard place situation to many I'm sure but certainly an issue for me with both limited funds and time.

Not to worry though, I am in this for the long haul and God will present an opportunity for me somewhere, somehow. In that respect, I have the patience of Job (or job, depending on the translation you're reading).

• + New Posts