WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Question about Skins and Tubes

I have been reading about skins and tubes a lot lately and I have a couple questions from those that use them.
    1. Have you noticed any additional space requirements because they don't fold or pack as well?
    2. Have you tried using other ways of wrapping up your gear? (ie... Shock cord around the tarps.)
    3. Has anyone tried using S biners on the corners of their UQ to wrap up the hammock and TQ in a pre-setup package?

I ask these questions because I like the convenience of the snake skins, but it seemed to make the packing of the tarp more difficult to get in the pack where I wanted it. When I was thinking about the tubes for the hammock setup, I thought it would also make the pack size difficult to fit in the smaller packs. If you are not noticing the larger pack space, what are you doing to make it conform to the pack once it is in the skins or tube?
    Thanks for the help...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    not really. i put mine in the skins then stuff them into a tarp sack so the tarp fits in the sack with or without the snake skin. you could pull the skins over your tarp then attach the whole thing to the outside of your pack too . the possibilities are endless really.

I wrap my tarp up with everything (ridge line, shock cord, etc...) minus the hammock.

I saw someone on here that was using tubes to wrap there hammock and tarp all at the same time. it may have been medicine man but i can't remember for sure.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    1 Have you noticed any additional space requirements because they don't fold or pack as well?
    2 Have you tried using other ways of wrapping up your gear? (ie... Shock cord around the tarps.)
    3 Has anyone tried using S biners on the corners of their UQ to wrap up the hammock and TQ in a pre-setup package?

1 Yes.
    2. A long time ago, didn't find anything better than good stuff sacks.
    3. Yes, but they seem to come loose easier than other styles of biners.

I just got in a pair of Wilderness Lazy Slug Tubes and while I think it takes more space in my pack (but, it's hard to say for sure, I'm comparing the space the hammock, JRB Sierra Sniveller over and under quilts take up, not just the hammock), I think it will save me a lot of setup and breakdown time when on the trail. I just fold it in half and stuff it into my backpack. Takes up about half the space in a ULA Circuit pack's main compartment.

I've never really tried wrapping things up with shock cord mostly because I'd have to carry additional shock cord and that would be more weight in my pack.

I kind of like S biners, but things seem to come out of the clips easier than with normal style biners. Don't know why.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looser tubes/skins allow for a flatter fold. The HH snake skins create a stiff tube which is harder to pack nicely.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    When I use my snake skins I am not worried about the pack size difference, I use them because they are a lot faster for me to use for setting up and taking down.

I do want to try some slug tubes for an ever faster setup and take down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I have been reading about skins and tubes a lot lately and I have a couple questions from those that use them.
    1. Have you noticed any additional space requirements because they don't fold or pack as well?
    2. Have you tried using other ways of wrapping up your gear? (ie... Shock cord around the tarps.)
    3. Has anyone tried using S biners on the corners of their UQ to wrap up the hammock and TQ in a pre-setup package?

I ask these questions because I like the convenience of the snake skins, but it seemed to make the packing of the tarp more difficult to get in the pack where I wanted it. When I was thinking about the tubes for the hammock setup, I thought it would also make the pack size difficult to fit in the smaller packs. If you are not noticing the larger pack space, what are you doing to make it conform to the pack once it is in the skins or tube?
    Thanks for the help...
    I think if you want the tarp in your pack, having it in skins may make it harder. I find that now that I use skins on my tarp, it's easier and more convenient to strap it to the outside of my pack, saving space inside the pack for other things that I need to keep dry and that I don't need until after I've put my tarp up. HYOH.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Question about Skins and Tubes

I have not noticed any extra sized requirements... My Superfly still fits inside the stuff sack provided to come with it, and still has some compression left...

I did try using a set of shock cord tie out, but the wind would catch a flap and spread the fabric out and just slide the shock cord out of the way and unfurl the tarp anyways... So it did make stuff the tarp easier, it did not help in windy conditions which is why I bought the skins...

I leave my underquilt separate, mainly because I don't use it every time out, and here pretty soon its staying at home till fall... Or a trip north... But my underquilt does attach with little s biners..
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Tarp is in skins and goes outside the pack.
    My remaining hanging rig (suspension, hammock, TQ, UQ, UQ protector & bug net or sock go into a 30L compression sack). If it's wet, the suspension goes out with the tarp. Unpacks like a big stuff sack and is ready to get in without any hassle.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Re: Question about Skins and Tubes

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of easy setup, but I'm trying to keep everything in an Osprey Exos 34 or ULA CDT. Sounds like I will have to experiment with this a little bit more. I might have been putting too much in the skins and causing my own problems. (I hate it when that happens.)
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post

Absolutely. At first I appreciated skins for their ease of set up and the novelty of the idea. The first time I used them was car camping, didn't notice the space problem and I enjoyed the looks I was getting from ground dwellers when I set up and took down. I first started noticing my sleeping gear eating up my pack space when I started needing to pack a top quilt and underquilt for overnight hikes. It wasn't really a problem for overnights and weekends, but I could see a real problem for trips of longer duration.

I did look at ways to strap the skins to the outside of the pack, but this only solved the problem of the hammock and tarp. I still needed pack space for my top and underquilts.

I didn't try that, but I tried a lot of other things. It might work, but I'd recommend figuring out some way to keep the tarp separate or always be on the outside. If it rains or gets a lot of dew on it and you have to pack up while its wet, it could get the tarp and insulation wet as well. This could be a problem if you're continuing on the hike for another night in the woods, less so if you're heading home and all you need to do is lay it all out around the living room to dry out.

Thanks for the help...
    My solution was to design my own pack.
    Last edited by sargevining; 04-08-2013 at 05:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast