Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide

Good DIY UQ for +50F and RAINY weather

Im going to DIY this UQ and I have a sewing machine and some experience(hammock, rayway backpack).I plan to be mostly in warm weather but also very rainy weather. Im trying to go as LIGHT as possible without being cold. I will be hiking on the island of kauai(highest rainfall in the WORLD) where it doesnt get too cold. The average lowest temp is 65. I have used a 55 degree mummy bag with a 1/8 gg thinlight pad and i still got cold. I want to make an underquilt but am confused about certain materials. I just want to know whats best from those with experience.Heres my thoughts so far:

Down UQ w/ M50 shell. very warm, very light, but I will be in rainstorm capital(it rains every day)This seems to be the standard and i already have an old down blanket that i will take the down from. also it gets muggy from the rain so I would like the breathability of down. Just need to know how to keep it dry.
    PROs...light, warm, cheap(free down)
    Cons...if it gets wet im done

Insultex with M50 shell only on underside. My only concern is some people have had problems with making the UQ properly. It seems to only work if you sew it just right. Not sure if it is as light as down but I heard that it is only very slightly heavier.
    PROs...cheap, only need under layer shell, can get wet and dries fast
    Cons...VBarrier makes it muggier, I have to buy it, may have problems sewing

Is there any other LIGHT options for a summer UQ. Keep in mind i already have an old down quilt i will use for the down UQ..so free down. Worth it to buy the Insultex?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could try and get a poncho liner and follow the DIY threads on how to make an underquilt from one of those. There is a No Sew variety as well. As you mentioned humidity is a challenge you have to deal with, so I would suggest and weather shield or underquilt protector. This is a piece of DWR fabric that is hung below you underquilt. This helps keep moisture out and provide a little extra warmth from your underquilt as well.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I had no sewing experience when I made my ix uq and it was super easy. It didnt come out quite perfect, but that was my fault. You could also make a climashield uq. I haven't made one but from what I have read it is easy to work with and pretty light, especially if you just make a one season quilt.

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    im currently working on a poncho liner that i got for free....what is the best way to suspend the liner under the hammock. I have seen different ways and im a little confused. would i be fine just following the PLUQ instructions(one continious loop shock cord and 2 for the ends)?

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    Made a poncho UQ and stoked on it. Gonna DIY an UQ using M50 and either climashield or IX

• + New Posts