One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Suspension brainstorming help

Until recently I only had the gear to hang 2 of my 4 hammocks at a time. Since then I have acquired a 5lb bag of random webbing. There is a bunch of 1.5in stuff in there which I am hoping to use. The question is how to attach strap A to hammock B. Hammock B is a tank. It's a short double layer upholstery fabric beast. It has issues with shoulder squeeze so I'm planning on doing some form of spreader bar mod. With that I may end up with two amsteel eyes on each end. My first though was to maybe use an elephant hook or Dutch buckle, but those are designed for 1 in webbing. SMC rings have crossed my mind, but they are only 1.5 in ID so I'm wondering if they'd be too small as well.

So, I'm looking for something that is 1) cheap 2) easy to set up/ adjust. Weight really isn't an issue as the hammock must already weigh 10 lb. It will be used to go out and hang in the yard for an hour or two. Anyone have ideas?

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

DIY Gear Supply

The Aluminum Suspension Rings (1.75″ ID, 2.25″) that DIY Gear Supply carries, should be able to handle the 1.5 inch webbing, but they are currently out of stock. You might check with Scott (sclittlefield) to see if/when he will be getting more in.

Michael

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    The Aluminum Suspension Rings (1.75″ ID, 2.25″) that DIY Gear Supply carries, should be able to handle the 1.5 inch webbing, but they are currently out of stock. You might check with Scott (sclittlefield) to see if/when he will be getting more in.

Michael
    I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Wider webbing like you're talking about would be nice for always hanging in the same place in the yard--easier on the trees than 1" webbing.

If you're talking about the same location all the time, then it seems that you don't need an adjustable setup that you get using the rings, and you can use the same length of webbing all the time. Tie or sew the webbing onto your mini spreader bar, if that's what you're using, then run the webbing out to and around the tree, and then hook the webbing onto itself using a Dutch clip or a carabiner.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Without going and looking I wonder if a couple of oval carabiners would work...
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo3b View Post
    Wider webbing like you're talking about would be nice for always hanging in the same place in the yard--easier on the trees than 1" webbing.

If you're talking about the same location all the time, then it seems that you don't need an adjustable setup that you get using the rings, and you can use the same length of webbing all the time. Tie or sew the webbing onto your mini spreader bar, if that's what you're using, then run the webbing out to and around the tree, and then hook the webbing onto itself using a Dutch clip or a carabiner.
    That's not a bad idea. I guess I'm just not a fan of knots in flat webbing. In my limited experience with them they tend not to come back out easily after being loaded with my 240lb self.

I ran into slingrings.com while looking for stuff. I can get 6 pairs of rings for under $20 shipped. If a 1.5in ID works for 1in webbing I would think 2in ID would work for 1.5.

For speed and simplicity some form of clip at the tree would be best. But for cost I'm thinking it's going to be hard to beat the rings.

• + New Posts