Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

UL Skins for Darien?

I got my Darien UL a while back and really like it, with the single exception that I never have liked hammocks in a stuff sack. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I pretty much always end up dragging at least part of the hammock along the ground while stringing it up.

When I got my first Hennessy back all those years ago, I got the snake-skins with them. I really like using the skins, but they seem on the heavy side compared to the UL goodness of my new Darien. Is there such a thing as UL snake skins?
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Images
    I saw on the forum that someone had taken apart their wife's shower scubbie thing. Apparently they are made of a lace tubing that can be used as skins. I've never tried it. If I were you, I'd buy some light DWR and make your own or bribe a friend to make some for you. most people have a weakness. Mine is dark chocolate.
    Hanging in the Ozarks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    These are very lightweight....I have made several sets. Can't feel the weight in my hand.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1408
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    These are very lightweight....I have made several sets. Can't feel the weight in my hand.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1408
    Shug
    Thanks Shug, but I don't want mesh. I want some light-weight silnylon skins, I think. I want them to provide a smidge of dirt/moisture protection during set-up and take-down.

I'm sure they are simple to make, but I don't sew and don't have a sewing machine, nor the room to store one if I were to get one.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    Following up on Shug's post -
    I would think you could do a stitch free job with transfer tape and cuben fiber, just cut and tape. I think the seams would hold up fine but you'd have to ask some of the MYOG gurus if that is a workable plan.
    You might contact 2QZQ, Hammockgear or MountainGoat Gear and see if they would build you a cuben hammock skin. It would be more in keeping with the UL nature of your hammock, they all do excellent work and cuben is going to be about as light as you can get and still have some protection.
    Last edited by 8Daddy; 04-08-2013 at 17:54.
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I got my Darien UL a while back and really like it, with the single exception that I never have liked hammocks in a stuff sack. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I pretty much always end up dragging at least part of the hammock along the ground while stringing it up.

When I got my first Hennessy back all those years ago, I got the snake-skins with them. I really like using the skins, but they seem on the heavy side compared to the UL goodness of my new Darien. Is there such a thing as UL snake skins?
    I don't get it. You are going to take your 15oz (everything included) hammock and wrap it in 6-8 ounces of skin? Doesn't make sense to me. Learn how not to drag the hammock in the dirt while setting up.

You want skin for you Darien UL, take your cuben tarp and wrap your hammock in it. Done. No added weight.

S

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I don't get it. You are going to take your 15oz (everything included) hammock and wrap it in 6-8 ounces of skin? Doesn't make sense to me. Learn how not to drag the hammock in the dirt while setting up.

You want skin for you Darien UL, take your cuben tarp and wrap your hammock in it. Done. No added weight.

S
    6 - 8 ounces? Where did you come up with those numbers? Even the Hennessy #4 skins only weigh in at 2.3 oz, and they would be huge on the Darien UL. I'm hoping to find something smaller and made of lighter-weight material than the Hennessy skins, so it should come in well under 2 oz.

Wrapping a hammock in a wet tarp is a great recipe for a wet night's sleep the following night.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    6 - 8 ounces? Where did you come up with those numbers? Even the Hennessy #4 skins only weigh in at 2.3 oz, and they would be huge on the Darien UL. I'm hoping to find something smaller and made of lighter-weight material than the Hennessy skins, so it should come in well under 2 oz.

Wrapping a hammock in a wet tarp is a great recipe for a wet night's sleep the following night.
    I took a guess with the numbers but Will your hammock fit in #4 snakes skins? might you need something bigger? I dont know. My point is Your Darien UL is the epitome of light weight. I doubt you could find a lighter weight hammock with integrated bug net or any hammock for that matter with a bug net and you paid a premium for the air weight set up. Just don't get why you want to add weight to that system just because you can't figure out how not to draft the hammock on the ground while setting up. To each his own and HYOH I guess.

S

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I took a guess with the numbers but Will your hammock fit in #4 snakes skins? might you need something bigger? I dont know. My point is Your Darien UL is the epitome of light weight. I doubt you could find a lighter weight hammock with integrated bug net or any hammock for that matter with a bug net and you paid a premium for the air weight set up. Just don't get why you want to add weight to that system just because you can't figure out how not to draft the hammock on the ground while setting up. To each his own and HYOH I guess.

S
    #4 skins will fit my Hennessy Explorer Ultralite, with the undercover and the tarp. They would be way oversized for the Darien UL.

The cuben fiber stuff sack for my Darien barely registers on my scale at 0.2 oz, and I think a set of silnylon skins sized for the Darien would weigh in at around 1.5 oz, so I would be hauling an extra ounce and a half, but for the convenience I'll put up with it. Heck, I'm hauling around an extra 20+ pounds on my body just because I like pizza and beer!

One of the many things I like about backpacking is that I can do it my way. I've developed a routine for setting up and striking camp that is based on my hammock in skins, and I like that routine. It's quick and easy. I did it every night and every morning for 6 months straight, and now I can do it with my eyes shut and without even thinking about it, so maybe it's not that I "can't figure out how not to draft the hammock on the ground while setting up," but rather that I'm not inclined to bother.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts