Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    oh man... I thought Interstate Bakeries was in liquidation... are they still making that stuff?
    Wonder Bread? Heck yeah they're still making it. How do you make a leftover meatloaf sandwich without it?

Greatest thing since sliced bread. Anybody wanna take a stab at who 'invented' commercially sliced bread? I wonder who.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Sorry about your job...

The value of anything you buy is based on what it is worth to YOU, not what a card for customs says.
    If you thought that hammock was worth $150, a stupid card at customs shouldn't change that!
    Hang that puppy up and enjoy it! You can't put a price tag on that!
    Well when i got it i felt like it was not worth what i paid for it so tom said i could return it. Of course minus his shipping cost that is. He says that it cost $48 dollars to ship so my refund would be $102 plus i have to pay to ship it back to him. When i emailed him about returning it i told him about the customs tag and this is what he said, "I am sorry we put the wrong value on the customs section. If you order from us again, we will be sure to put the correct value, so that you can pay the import duty on that amount." Well if i would have know that i had to import it from another country myself then i don't think i would have bought it. The bottom line is he needs to change something about his bussiness practices. If he reads this my suggestion to him would be to buy larger amounts of the hammock from him maker in thailand and have them shipped to the states all at once at a discounted price. Then he can distribute the hammocks in a more timely manor because if i paid $48 for the thing to take twenty days to get to me i got ripped off. I would be willing to pay the shipping from somewhere in the United States if he set it up differently. Oh well, most likely he won't have to deal with me again as a customer.

I don't believe he lives in the US.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfowler89 View Post
    ............................. If he reads this my suggestion to him would be to buy larger amounts of the hammock from him maker in thailand and have them shipped to the states all at once at a discounted price..................
    Inventory costs money.

Money to buy - that's "idle" money that's not earning you anything.

Money to store - that's money being drained away.

Just ask the Jack's how much inventory they started with and how much they have now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Inventory costs money.
    Fixed assets
    Money to buy - that's "idle" money that's not earning you anything.
    Capital
    Money to store - that's money being drained away.
    Non-preforming assets

You are absolutely correct, but this is where the phrase "the cost of doing business" comes from. It's obvious from the last few weeks that Tom has a problem. Better that a business makes less money than no money. I had a very positive experience with Claytor and I'd very much like it if everybody that ordered from him did too. Don't know the answer, but he does need to find a solution.

Sorry for the 'banker' response. I'm crunching spreadsheets between posts and day-dreams. Don't worry they get triple-checked.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The inordinate shipping times I understand as a problem. That does need to be solved if at all possible. Whether or not something is worth the value you pay for it is a subjective decision and I find it odd that should reflect on the vendor of the product. As far as shipping is concerned, shipping costs are almost never reimbursed since they are aiready paid to a third party and thus not part of the vendor's part of the transaction. The same with shipping back a return. This is particularly true in the case of Claytor because there is no separate shipping cost charged to the purchaser.

One has every right to refuse to do business with any particular company for any particular reason. Or for that matter to buy from any particular company for any particular reason. But subjective issues are exactly that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I guess that I should feel cheated. My package with 2 Claytor Expeditions and 2 Rain Flies stated the value for customs at $5.

I ordered my Claytor's about a year ago, so maybe inflation has affected the declarations value.

BTW, I was very pleased with the shipping time (9 days IIRC) and the hammocks worked very well for myself and my son-in-law.

Images
    i think if the declared value is above a certain amount, the person recieving the item has to pay an import tax upon delivery, by keeping the value low he is assureing that the carrier won't charge you a fee to release the item to you.

You are going off halfcocked!!!!!!

Warbonnetguy is absolutely correct.
    The sender has SAVED YOU MONEY by undervaluing the hammock for Customs
    purposes.
    If they had put $150 value on it you would have been charged US Customs Import Duty Tax on that amount.
    By only declaring a value of $10 there is no import duty to be paid.
    The sender is taking a risk to do this as it is it is an illegal declaration.
    Be happy that they saved you some $$
    Last edited by Bugzee Malone; 03-03-2009 at 01:58. Reason: grammer error
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor
    Insulation
    nil at present
    I agree with Warbonnetguy.
    I ordered a JH just prior to the occupation of Bangkok airport in 08. The sticker on it had a $10.00 value as well. It managed to be dispatched and arrived in 8 days. I don't know if this is because I live in the depths of the South Pacific which may be less distance to travel by comparison to the US.

I remember once purchasing some glassware in Italy back in the 70s and it was freighted Unsolicited Free Gift just to get passed customs and not pay import duty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast