Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customs card

Customs card

Hey, I am a new hanger. I ordered the JH and after a long wait for it to get here it arrived packaged differently then i thought it would. I thought it would arrive in a box or something to protect it in shipping but it was just wrapped in plastic with a string wrapped around it. The reason i am started this thread is because on the package it had a customs card. On that card it was written that the value of the hammock was $10. This sort of made me mad because I just paid $150 for something that is only "worth" $10. I know that this was probably written so that they had to pay less export tax or something like that, but it still made me feel like i was cheated. Did anyone else experience this? I know if i saw the "value" of anything else that was imported from another county and then i saw the price i paid, i would probably be mad. Buy american made products, give americans jobs and help our economy!!! I know that i will probably get alot of comment against me for that last comment but o well, i am kinda bitter right now cause i got laid off from my job.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's probably just something to get around paying higher import/export taxes.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey, I am a new hanger. I ordered the JH and after a long wait for it to get here it arrived packaged differently then i thought it would. I thought it would arrive in a box or something to protect it in shipping but it was just wrapped in plastic with a string wrapped around it. The reason i am started this thread is because on the package it had a customs card. On that card it was written that the value of the hammock was $10. This sort of made me mad because I just paid $150 for something that is only "worth" $10. I know that this was probably written so that they had to pay less export tax or something like that, but it still made me feel like i was cheated. Did anyone else experience this? I know if i saw the "value" of anything else that was imported from another county and then i saw the price i paid, i would probably be mad. Buy american made products, give americans jobs and help our economy!!! I know that i will probably get alot of comment against me for that last comment but o well, i am kinda bitter right now cause i got laid off from my job.
    If the profit margin was truly that high, we all oughta start making hammocks!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    If the profit margin was truly that high, we all oughta start making hammocks!
    We can all get rich selling each other hammocks!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Probably the value of the material. You figure these guys buy in huge bulk. A Hammock literally costs them next to nothing to make, however Marketing, Production Overhead, Christmas Bonus, and wages for workers along with taxes is really the cost of doing business. Look at cell phones. A typical LG, Motorola, Samsung, what have you phone costs about 15 dollars to produce at most. The price comes from marketing, wages for employees, building rent, shipping cost. I use to work for a Pet Store. Those hamster cages that are made out of colorful plastic cost 8 dollars for us to buy, and the owner had them marked up to 79.99 with a free hamster which we bred in the back. Cost was maybe 1 dollar for a hamster. Buying one without the cage would cost you 10.99. Stuff is cheap, getting that stuff to a store, known about, and sold, costs a fortune.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    We can all get rich selling each other hammocks!
    Cool, Ill buy yours if you'll buy mine!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    mmmm.... hamster sandwiches

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfowler89 View Post
    On that card it was written that the value of the hammock was $10. This sort of made me mad because I just paid $150 for something that is only "worth" $10. I know that this was probably written so that they had to pay less export tax or something like that, but it still made me feel like i was cheated.
    Sorry about your job...

The value of anything you buy is based on what it is worth to YOU, not what a card for customs says.
    If you thought that hammock was worth $150, a stupid card at customs shouldn't change that!
    Hang that puppy up and enjoy it! You can't put a price tag on that!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    mmmm.... hamster sandwiches
    with mayo on Wonder white bread....
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    oh man... I thought Interstate Bakeries was in liquidation... are they still making that stuff?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast