DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa

Whoopie Slings!

Just put my new whoopie slings on my hennessy. Awesome bit of upgrade.

Those thick ropes are in the drawer in case I need them, but I don't think I will use them again. The slings make hanging a snap. Put loop through tree strap loops, and put trekking pole into the loop. Pull tight. Repeat other end, and tighten the slings. I think if i tried I could get it all ready to go in under two minutes, once I picked the trees out.

I saved the sliding snap lock things from the hennessy ropes, and put them on the whoopies. They don't interfere at all with the adjusting loop as long as there is no tension on them. My only fear is the darn things sliding off the end of the loop.

The whole thing seems to hang well, but I didn't try the tieouts. My ridge line seems a bit loose (the mosquito netting hangs a little different). I think I need to take about an inch off of it, as it sits in a different place on the new ropes. I bought an adjustable ridge line but didn't install it, as my old line is in good shape.

Im thinking of doing a YouTube video or something... I highly recommend the whoopies if you are bored and have $30 to blow.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    That's interesting about the change in ridgeline. I got a similar result with my Hennessy after switching out the stock suspension with diy amsteel dogbones. I followed the exact same wrapping pattern as the stock suspension with the dogbones but somehow the end result yielded a more loose mosquito netting. I haven't proven this, but my suspicions are that the end loop on the ridgeline was able to slide down the amsteel, resulting in it behaving as if it was longer after the suspension mod.... This would explain the loose netting, since you would be pulling the hammock ends further away from each other and shortening the distance between the ridgeline and the hammock. However, this would also tighten the netting along the length of the hammock, and I'm not sure I've noticed this on my hammock.

Also, have you noticed a different lay in the hammock after the suspension change?...increased calf pressure in the centerline perhaps? I think this happened to me as well, which would also result from a longer ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Pics!!! Pics!!! We need Pics!!!

Ive been using the rappel rings with the stock suspension and it is very adjustable and quick. That being said I think the stock suspension is very heavy compared to a whoopie sling.

Did you notice a difference in the weight?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth the switch.

Cheers

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTIEMAC View Post
    Pics!!! Pics!!! We need Pics!!!

Ive been using the rappel rings with the stock suspension and it is very adjustable and quick. That being said I think the stock suspension is very heavy compared to a whoopie sling.

Did you notice a difference in the weight?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth the switch.

Cheers
    There seems to be a slight difference in weight... maybe an ounce? Nothing I think I would feel on my back in a blind test. What IS nice though is the ropes are thinner and more flexible. they pack easier in the sack with the rest of the stuff.

I did go ahead and install the adjustable ridge line. It took a bit of time to undo some things, but not more than an hour to do the entire setup, I don't think.

I made a video for some of my clueless friends and some of the noob hikers in my meetup group.

Here is my new setup
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I weighed both the whoopie slings and stock cords when I replaced mine and the difference was 3oz total between the two ends. Also a little more compact-able with the whoopie slings.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just installed my homemade whoopies, smaller straps and toggles today. I didn't notice any change in the ridge line. I DID notice how much more solid the setup seemed with the whoopies vs. the old lines - seemed like the lines in the figure 8s always had to stretch a little so I had to fine tune. Fine tuning now takes seconds instead of minutes - great!

Materials and advice from Scott at DIY Gear Supply - Thanks!

Chuck

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re: Whoopie Slings!

Interesting. I don't recall seeing any change not my ridgeline. I've got pics posted on my blog. I don't know if I have a before weight. I'll have to check.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts