Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings

My new Lashed TurtleLady stand Please Review for Error.

OK need some critique help here. I literally threw this thing together in less than 40 minutes. It helps that I love knots. But it was a quick and dirty demo for our Scout Troop 550.

Material:
    Six 8' 2X2's from Lowes.
    One 10'6" Top Rail. I paid full price.

12' of Silver 550 Paracord
    4' of Fire Colored 550 Paracord.

ENO Double Nest.

Things I've all ready listed as needing change.
    1. The poles are 8' need to be shortened to 7'. My feet are right at 1' from the ground.
    2. I will cut the pole and make it the proper length. I think that just cutting in half and using it assembled will be pretty close but it may need six inches cut out of it.

Things that I am worried by:

1. 550 paracord is rated at 550 lbs. I weigh 225 am I overloading it?
    2. I'm using Prusik knots constructed of 550 paracord joined in a loop with a square knot. Should I be using a different knot to join?

edited:
    Added Please Review for Error.
    Changed Turtledog to TurtleLady in title.
    Last edited by Gristlehead; 04-08-2013 at 22:35.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Gristlehead, please don't take this the wrong way but you did ask for critique. First off what you have replicated is a TurtleLady stand and not a TurtleDog. The difference is in the tripod upper attachment. The TL uses lashing and the TD uses a hinge. The 550 is probably more than adequate for the lashing it may not be strong enough for the toprail suspension longterm. Still trying to understand the " My feet are right at 1' from the ground"

Overall it will do what a TurtleLady or TurtleDog was meant to do.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    It seems like the feet remark is about his feet don't reach the ground when sitting in the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Gristlehead, please don't take this the wrong way but you did ask for critique. First off what you have replicated is a TurtleLady stand and not a TurtleDog. The difference is in the tripod upper attachment. The TL uses lashing and the TD uses a hinge. The 550 is probably more than adequate for the lashing it may not be strong enough for the toprail suspension longterm. Still trying to understand the " My feet are right at 1' from the ground"

Overall it will do what a TurtleLady or TurtleDog was meant to do.
    No offence taken. I've tried reading through the plethora of stand threads and wrongly thought that the stand had taken on the TurtleDog name. I truly can now respect the aspect that each person has brought to the design.

Thanks for the comments on the lashing and the top rail. I agree. Hanging in it this afternoon I was worried that there wasn't really anything short of the square knot with binders holding me up. I want to stay with the lashed and knot concept. What is recommended for Top Rail suspension?

The stand as a whole is about 1 foot too high off the ground as it is... My feet don't touch the ground... Thus I was able to get a picture of the ground rushing past my feet as I was gently swinging....

Thanks for the information.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    There are a number of ways to hang the toprail and I believe samsara has an excellent idea with a longer continous loop of amsteel. If you need to raise or lower the toprail just add or remove wraps of the amsteel from the toprail. Thanks to LHG I now understand the 1' off the ground and with the 8' legs removing some length is a quick fix.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Thanks again for the help. I want to get this right. There are at least four scouters blowing up my facebook page over this right now. I anticipate each one of these guys are just days behind me in building/hanging. Sure would hate for them to hit the ground.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    There are a number of ways to hang the toprail and I believe samsara has an excellent idea with a longer continuous loop of amsteel. If you need to raise or lower the toprail just add or remove wraps of the amsteel from the toprail...
    I agree you should use a stronger rope to hang the top rail from the tripods and amsteel blue is an excellent choice. If you continue to use the 550 cord, use a double fisherman's knot instead of the square knot and double it up.

You can cut the legs off to lower the hammock or use longer loops to hang the top rail.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    I think I'm going to cut the legs. I had a hard time reaching up that high to hang the top rail to start. Double fishermans knot.Doubled up.. hmmm going to look that up.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice socks

Quote Originally Posted by Gristlehead View Post
    I think I'm going to cut the legs. I had a hard time reaching up that high to hang the top rail to start. Double fishermans knot.Doubled up.. hmmm going to look that up.
    animated knots by grog, google it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast