Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    Nice socks

Hey the are on the list of the required items that combined make a full BSA field uniform.... Note that I did not call it a Class A....

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I like your lashing, Gristlehead. How'd you do it? I want to make a stand of bamboo. I assume the same lashing will work.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just to clarify, in the first picture... you have a traditional tripod lashing and then the square knot in question was just to make the loop that goes up over the center spar of your tripod?

And yes, a double or triple fisherman's is much better. Otherwise, the only thing I'd do to make it more scout-like is replace those poles with something natural if you can. Equivalent sized birch saplings or bamboo staves would probably suffice
    Nice job

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I like your lashing, Gristlehead. How'd you do it? I want to make a stand of bamboo. I assume the same lashing will work.

Think it's a standard tripod lashing? Did you use the varient with the center stave pointing away from the outer two ? helps to make it really tight once you twist it into shape

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Nice TL stand!

When I was first creating the stand, I did use paracord to suspend the ridgepole, but I used a tripled loop. My husband tied the loops for me using a double grapevine knot. Since then I prefer using stronger ropes or cords.

The TL lashed stands "walk about" some, mostly when they are unweighted.
    I have lately been hanging some weight straight down off the ridgepole just to stabilize the stand when unweighted. Much improved!

Remember to hang no higher than you are willing to fall.

Turtlelady

My new Lashed TurtleLady stand Please Review for Error.

Depending on the size of your scouts, they may be able to use the basic BSA walking staves. My son (just crossed over) has a stand made with 5' broom handles. Works find for him. I use 6' wood closet rods poles. Personally I thick the round poles are easier to lash than the square. Just like you I have several scouts chomping at the bit for me to show them how to make a stand and hammock.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
    Think it's a standard tripod lashing? Did you use the varient with the center stave pointing away from the outer two ? helps to make it really tight once you twist it into shape
    Thx, Wide. Looked it up. Easy ... and looking forward to making one some day.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Great job getting scouts interested! Nice rig!
    Just a couple of comments on scouts and the rig. I have used much rougher versions for over 40 years, and they are pretty forgiving, particularly for boys. great for teaching a number of concepts.

Scouts is all about learning. Easy way to lower is to just tie tripod lower, then if you want a high ridge line or tie points for a tarp, you still have them ( although shorter poles fit smaller vehicles) I second using nail or fisherman knots or chased sheet bend etc instead of square knots for any load bearing knot. Square knot by its nature, bending the rope tightly at the stress point cuts strenght in half. It also, by its nature, collapses into a knot which slides right off the unstopped ends (hence its use in bandaging) "Knot" good if you want to keep feet and other parts off the ground. this is a good way to teach why hitches are stronger than bights, more knots than the basics, and if you rig a tarp to a ridge line with prussics, a bit about engineering flexibility. - you really have it going on!

Boys also tend to like to play enthusiastically in hammocks, which should be strongly discouraged with a tripod rig, and really stresses lines. Scouts seem to start out supprisingly small, and quickly become amazingly huge, so it is a great time to get them to understand the safety issues.

Amen to stronger cord - I recommend at least 4x safety after derating for knots or wear, 10 x otherwise. static loading not the issue bouncing or tying at too tight of a hange angle. (see other excelletn sticky threads) TL spot on on rig movement - can just toss in your gear on outings.
    A note on bamboo - VERY strong and light initially. Will tend to split with time, at which point strength shot. Can bind straight areas between nodes with poly cord or heavy thread, then varnish to greatly lengthen life. Also, flame cured bamboo lasts better than just drying - the "sap" boils out and cures to a near epoxy like varnish when torched properly. with proper personal safety gear, the boys are pretty entertained by the torching process.

once again, thanks for helping the scouts, and giving them useful opportunities to learn. - tg

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    Thanks for all the comments. I've been doing real work for a day or so. The Lashing is just a simple tripod lashing. No I did not invert the middle pole as I wanted the lashing to allow for some twist. I started on the outside pole with a safety clove hitch and made three or four passes, under, over, under, over; you get the idea, then I do two tight frapping turns and finish with a safety clove hitch on the other outside pole. I think there was about 12 feet of cord in each lashing.

Last night I cut six inches off the tripod legs, made two new longer doubled up loops tied with a double fisherman to hang the pole, and two more shorter versions of the double loop to hang the hammock. The longer loops allowed me to adjust the pole angle on a hill and with the shortening of the legs my feet touch the floor. I have noticed that this pine 2X2 that had no splits when I bought it is starting to split. I think I'm going to do a glue/leather wrapping on it in several spots. I did split the pole in half and made a mark to cut it shorter. It appears to be about 9 inches too long for my ENO double.

Next we will work on Lake a stand. My wife has all ready commented that she wants one too!

Hammock
    DIY WBBB Clone
    So - I'm not seeing any images. Anyone know why that might be? (I can see images in other posts fine)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast