Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up Love It!

No flaming here.
    A hammock fair? In Colorado, to start? You could probably get a "fair" amount of hangers to go to that. I would! We would have to develop much better portable hammock stands for such an endeavor, as trees are usually in short supply in the type of places where such fairs are held. I could see all the vendors in a "beat down" for the four or five trees close enough together in the city park to hang a hammock. The commercial stands available are not really made for camping hammocks, and the DIY versions so far tend to be large, bulky 4x4 affairs.

My concern as a business plan would be getting enough of a draw initially to justify the costs. That is most likely the only reason it hasn't occurred as of yet. The idea of a mid-continent, highly publicized event with all the major and minor players is very appealing, but the ROI for a vendor with the shape of the current economy would be hard to guage or justify. How would you market this to appeal to the non-hanging crowd, enough to get them to show up to something they don't even know they should be interested in? For ROI, it would be far easier to market in a high traffic small space, such as the Denver airport or O'Hare or even Vegas to get the casual buyer exposed to the idea of Hammock Camping and hammock accessories. Not as cool or as desirable as hanging in a park and preaching to the masses about the joys of hammocking. Preaching to the choir is easy, showing the masses what they are missing and convincing them it is a good idea is far harder to do. Getting enough of a draw to a hammock fair to justify the costs would be tough - I think initially it would be more like a slightly larger group hang in a very public place. A good way to get interest, extremely fun for all involved, but a very slow growth plan if your idea is to sell hammocks and hammocking to the general public.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for it! I'm sure you have heard or thought of the things I've mentioned already - I know you've been thinking of the hammock hostel for awhile. I like the idea of starting with something like the "Taste of Colorado," or glomming on to an existing fair to grow interest. We do need to educate people that it is OK to hang things from trees - that they just need to do it the right way.
    Last edited by fin; 02-12-2009 at 16:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    I'm going to send you a PM about something related to this, but a bit off topic. As to the original idea I think it is too narrow of a market to start off with. Hear me out. My dad was chairman of the World Championship Hydroplane Races in Hampton, VA for many years. Attendance was great, but not that many people came to the event the first time to see the races. Rather the other activities we had drew people in. Then they got excited about the races and started coming back year after year.

So what if it was a general backpacking festival with a large section devoted to hammocks. Talks from some of the ALDHA people like Lion King. Maybe throw in a one night Indie Backpacker/Outdoor film festival for us small editing folks. Manufacturer's could send a few of their hammocks/insulation systems for folks to try. Have a overnight hangout much like our hangouts. Tie the whole thing together with some music and maybe a farmers market type thing. Throw it up around the CDT towns during mid thru season and take it from there. Once you get a good following, then slowly put more emphasis on the hammocking while still maintaining the overall outdoors theme. You could have more detailed classes or lectures for hammockers. Forums where people could bounce their own DIY ideas off people like Ed and the Jacks to stimulate more cottage industry and home grown development of ideas. Have a Stovie build competition. This could be huge, but you have to remember at 1st you have to be broad to establish a following before you head into more specific direction.
    This is the type of suggestions I'm looking for! Agreed, it's not going to be very big at first. I know it will have to grow through the years, but I think the market is ready or very close to it. I would most certainly want the gambit of outdoor products and services represented at a festival like what I'm talking about, gotta get em in the door. However, I would want it 'hammock focused' from the beginning. I don't want to think about the insurance requirements for a Stove War. And please, please don't get me started about a traveling hammock party on the major LDH trails or I'll start another thread about my idea for a traveling hammock hostel. Think tractor trailer with a modified trailer where the walls drop to reveal a skeleton designed for attaching hammocks. Oh yeah, I've got that one on paper already.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, timing it w/ other, bigger attractions would be a very good idea.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    No flaming here.
    When you post something like this, you expect it.

Stands will be required. The stand the Jacks use at TD seems to be very simple, reasonable cost, and extremely portable. It doesn't have to look good, just function; nobody other than the true diehards is going to be looking at the stand anyhow.

As far as drawing the crowd and a centralized location goes, yeah I know. That's why I'm doing this little meetup this summer; get the word out. If it is a success (subjective I know), then there will be more interest the following year when I try to organize a publicly promoted event with vendors and such. Colorado is my start point for two reasons. 1. I live here. 2. This is a very intense outdoor state. It's easier to get people to go to something that they already have a general interest in.

Along those lines,
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    How would you market this to appeal to the non-hanging crowd, enough to get them to show up to something they don't even know they should be interested in?
    See, that's the beauty of this. While they may not admit it, I'm bettin that if one of the admins or mods of this site were to compare IP addresses of the 'guests' that are viewing HF at any point in time; I bet a good chunk of them are WBers that flame the hammock folks. They want it, but they've already made butts of themselves. I've been at hiking get togethers where there have been hammock bashers. Want to guess who they came to talk to when nobody else was around? The outdoor people will come just to see what the fuss is about. We aren't the only ones that are gear obsessed. Don't forget about the 'luxury' market for hammocks. Have you priced the high-end rope hammocks? Ridiculous! Those people will come with their Poodles and Pomeranians to find the latest fashion for their pools. No offense to owners of those breeds; just the first ones to pop into my head.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Location, and Marketing.

you already have Trail Days which has large crowds. Every person there pretty much stops at each booth to see what they have to offer. Doesn't mean they will buy it but they will look. Basically Trails Days has become something more than just an event for thru-hikers.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    you already have Trail Days which has large crowds. Every person there pretty much stops at each booth to see what they have to offer. Doesn't mean they will buy it but they will look. Basically Trails Days has become something more than just an event for thru-hikers.
    Totally agree, but how many people outside of long distance hiking know about it? Long distance hikers are very small section of total hikers. We must expose the world to our illness.

I will save you a place for your tent at the festival Ewker.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Totally agree, but how many people outside of long distance hiking know about it? Long distance hikers are very small section of total hikers. We must expose the world to our illness.

I will save you a place for your tent at the festival Ewker.
    quite a few people know about Trail Days that aren't LDH. I know cavers and section hikers that come to it.

thanks, my tarptent works quite well in the Rockies

Have you gotten up to Indian Peak Wilderness yet? A really nice area
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've looked at it from Long's Peak, but have not really visited that area since the early 90s. It's on my list now, thanks!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Cannibal I like where your going with this. Stovie idea was admittedly a little far out there.I'm nowhere near you, but have alot of experience with dealing with these types of things. My dad is a city planning commisioner, and I started my own business when I was 11. Getting things started is what I do. I'd be on board to help in anyways possible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast