Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Lightbulb More of Cannibal's pipe dreams

Are you really ready to read this? It's kind of far out in right field. You've been warned!

Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    Ahem..... I think the next step for you boys is a clubhouse.
    thorwren's post in the flag thread has made me decide to field a question to all you folks. It's been on my mind for a little while, but I've been embarrassed to say anything.

Why isn't there a festival for hammocks and hammock related gear?

I know we have these little regional hangouts and having been to one of them, I can say they are great! I'm sure everyone who has been to one agrees. There are so many neato little things that people do with their set-ups. Plus, there is still the motivation for my hammock hostel; a hammocks-are-us for all the people that want to try the different brands and styles of hammocks, quilts, and tarps.

But, here's the problem(s). You have to ALREADY be a hanger, be lucky enough to be in the area when the crazies are stringing up things from the trees, or be a friend of a said crazy to know about the events. Not to mention the fact that if they have manufacturer representation, it is usually only one or maybe two of them; I want people to see them ALL in their glory. There don't seem to be any 'functions' for those, on the outside, who might be interested. Ramblinrev's newest video is a perfect example! Some people would love to hike again, but think they are no longer able to do so. Sooo very sad.

There are so many fairs, festivals, and the like out there for just about anything you can think of, but the only hammock festival I could find in a quick search was in Puerto Rico and I can't find my passport at the moment.

Here's where I get myself in trouble. Colorado is a H-U-G-E outdoor state. The people here live to be outside (for the most part). On any given weekend, you can find a dozen 'festivals' within a 2 hour drive (GREAT if you like live music!!!). I've only been hangin for a couple of years now, but am astounded at how quickly this cult of hangers is growing. I bet it took longer for sleeping bags to catch-on. It seems to me that this might be a good time to consider a hammock festival of sorts. There can be NO denying from the folks on this site that we are serious about our toys.

Genuine Draft and I have been talking about this a little bit of late. She is an HR guru and is already looking into the requirements to organize something like this. Although my degree is in Wildlife Biology, most of you know me as a banker. However, I rose through the ranks as the Marketing Dude, so I've got a pretty good grip on what would be needed in that regard.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been decided, just pipe-dreams for the moment. And no, this would not be an entrepreneurial endeavor. It will be purely missionary style work; enlightenment for the masses. I would expect that if it works and is viable on a long term, that it could grow as the vendors grow and the manufacturers support it through attendance. Sponsorships are already being discussed.

I am constantly assailed by curious people when setting up a hammock in a public, or semi public place. It sure seems to me that there might be some interest. Has this been tried before and failed? If so, was it just too early in the game? I'm going to organize an event this summer via meetup.com., which if you haven't checked out...you should. I just want to guage the interest level of the 'public' with this meetup event. There are about 30 people on another local forum that have overloaded my email when I made a similar post on that site; they want me to do it now. At the very least, it will provide me with justification for having all these dang hammocks in my basement, and also allow the justification for acquiring even more!

So, after a really long, rambling post here's the question:

Hangers: Do you think it is worth pursuing? Would you come to it with enough notice? Manufacturers: Would you spend the money on travel and booth set-up for a hammock specific event that has attendance of less than 10,000 people? If not, what would be the magic number to make it worth the expense or would you be open to providing short-term demo systems for the event? Of course, we will need some entertainment...Shug?

There is more involved with this from a legal and logistic perspective than I ever would have thought possible, but it is all very doable. Should I move on to the next hair-brained idea, or try to build something with this idea? Every really cool event started with somebody saying "you know what we should do". Reminds me of a favorite joke: What are a redneck's last words?....Hey yall, watch this!

Thank you for reading my day-dreams. I'm going to lunch now to deal with the obvious low blood-sugar I'm experiencing.
    Flame away.

Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    hang all the hammocks and a sign that says "No Girls Allowed".
    That sign will NEVER hang at a hammock event that I have something to do with!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Reminds me of a favorite joke: What are a redneck's last words?....Hey yall, watch this!
    Actually the full statement is "hey y'all... hold my beer and watch this".
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    It would also be a great place for those homemade hammock gear creators who would like a booth set up for how-to seminars outfitted with sewing machines and perhaps a professional or two to help us out... Right, Brandon?? Maybe you can put up a sign - "'SmchmackBird' Workshop"!...Or maybe not..

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room

Thumbs up

And... I am completely on board with Cannibal. This great group can certainly be considered a sub-culture in its own right, and deserves a place in the list of festivals!
    Last edited by thorwren; 02-12-2009 at 15:51.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I'm going to send you a PM about something related to this, but a bit off topic. As to the original idea I think it is too narrow of a market to start off with. Hear me out. My dad was chairman of the World Championship Hydroplane Races in Hampton, VA for many years. Attendance was great, but not that many people came to the event the first time to see the races. Rather the other activities we had drew people in. Then they got excited about the races and started coming back year after year.

So what if it was a general backpacking festival with a large section devoted to hammocks. Talks from some of the ALDHA people like Lion King. Maybe throw in a one night Indie Backpacker/Outdoor film festival for us small editing folks. Manufacturer's could send a few of their hammocks/insulation systems for folks to try. Have a overnight hangout much like our hangouts. Tie the whole thing together with some music and maybe a farmers market type thing. Throw it up around the CDT towns during mid thru season and take it from there. Once you get a good following, then slowly put more emphasis on the hammocking while still maintaining the overall outdoors theme. You could have more detailed classes or lectures for hammockers. Forums where people could bounce their own DIY ideas off people like Ed and the Jacks to stimulate more cottage industry and home grown development of ideas. Have a Stovie build competition. This could be huge, but you have to remember at 1st you have to be broad to establish a following before you head into more specific direction.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Taste of Colorado

How about a joint hammock makers booth at Taste of Colorado. 500,000 people over Labor Day weekend. Followed by some sightseeing and a 2 night mellow backpack along the Colorado Trail. Full moon on the 12th.

I am willing to help coordinate some of the logistics.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Workshops, clinics, and demos would all be a major part of any large scale event that I'm thinking about. What really pushed me over the edge on this is the dire need for awareness. Colorado is actually worse than Florida was about hanging anything from trees, signs, poles, people, etc. If something like this creates enough awareness about hammock camping, we as a community would then have a little more clout when it comes to changing the minds of politicians who make decisions based on public sentiment.

Again, another dream.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    How about a joint hammock makers booth at Taste of Colorado. 500,000 people over Labor Day weekend. Followed by some sightseeing and a 2 night mellow backpack along the Colorado Trail. Full moon on the 12th.

I am willing to help coordinate some of the logistics.
    That's a great place to start and I'd love help with coordination (I can't walk and chew gum, but I can walk and fall real good!).
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It'll be interesting to hear what the hammock makers have to say. My guess is that they would be on board if at all possible!
    If there's any way I can swing it, I would be there! Plenty of advance notice would certainly help.

And I wouldn't let all those folks wanting "yet another festival" to go to, talk you into throwing one together to quick.
    Far better to plan ahead & do it right.

I'm sure it would be a challenge for some of us to get there, but I'll bet you would get quite a few MF members, not to mention a ton of the more locals & those visiting the area too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Excellent idea. With the rate of growth that seems to be associated with hammocking, it may be time for something like this. When you consider that HF and WB is probably responsible for 80 - 90% of the information that is available, and what a short period of time it has taken to grow to what it is now, it would seem to me that the industry would jump at an opportunity like this. I have attended several "Outdoor Shows", and can only remember one that had any boooths on hammocks (Chicago or Milwaukee, I believe) and that was only one (ENO). May I sugguest the location be somewhere centrally located (say the Mississippi River area) so that you could draw equally from the East and West. And if the industry didn't support it, what the heck ....... it would be a heck of a hang!
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast