Greetings,

My name is Elissa. I work for the Michigan DNR as a Recreation Programmer. I originally herd abou this forum after a group of Hammock Campers came to Ludington State Park for their Winter Hang. The Park Manager told me about them and it really peaked my interest.
Part of my job to engage our visitors in outdoor recreation activities. Have any of you heard about the DNR's Recreation 101 program? If you haven't thats alright because you are about to. Recreation 101 is a program designed to provide a positive first time experience to outdoor recreation for Michigan State Park visitors by provideing all of the gear, guides and goodtimes to get thems started. For example we host Kayaking 101 programs by finding a volunteer experienced instructor who is willing to come into the park with his gear and provide a free introductory kayaking program. We then provide our visitors with the next steps so they can go out and contiue kayaking, bicycling, outdoor cooking etc. It's an amazing program. To find out more you can visit www.michigan.gov/rec101

I was hoping some of your members might be interested in helping me plan a Hammock Camping 101 program to introduce visitors to this unique camping experience. If anyone is interested please email me at [email protected]

Happy Hammocking,

Elissa Dennert
Recreation Programming Assistant
Michigan Department of Natural Resources