Thread: complete n00b

Human

Angry complete n00b

Hi guys, I'm a health fiend and decided, more than a month ago, to ditch my bed and go with a hammock. I read about all the health benefits, and just decided right then and there as soon as I got the hammock that beds are not for me, I want whats best for my health.

I'm 6ft, 180 and 25 years old, and I purchased this attractive little charmer here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now here's the issue, about every other night for the past 30-40 days I've tried to sleep in this hammock, I'm adamant about kicking the whole hard surface/mattress habit but it's proving to be difficult.

I've only managed to sleep 6 hours in one stretch in the hammock, but it seemed the sleep was insufficient because I went and just slept on the floor for about 8 hours.

Yes, I'm a nut and I ditched my mattress and bed. So now when I cant finish up sleep in the hammock I just sleep on some blankets on the floor, LOL.

I'm OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong, either in the manner I've set up the hammock, how I position myself in the hammock, or both.

I find the hammock very comfortable for tiny naps, studying, etc. And I know that in many countries hammocks are the norm, so I KNOW its possible to replace my sleeping surface.

As soon as I find my tape measure (or maybe ill have to go buy one) I can provide specifics on my setup, but I was wondering if anyone has a How-to sleep in a hammock?

Please help!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd give this a quick read, it helped me a lot:

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklif...hammock-guide/
    Coffee?

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look for the book "Ultimate Hang" and watch some Shug Emery videos about hammocking. There is a lot about camping and hammocking, not sure about permanent hammocking rather than a bed. Just be patient and your thread will be filled with tons of expert info about what you need to do to get the best sleep ever, from some of the best guys ever.
    Welcome!

Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I'd give this a quick read, it helped me a lot:

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklif...hammock-guide/
    This is good, thank you. I'll read it right away, I havent come across this one but I've read many articles.

I do believe I sleep in the correct position as informed by this image http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...p-diagonal.png

but sleeping in that position renders an awkward neck issue, perhaps I have displaced discs or something and should get that assessed. I wake up with a grinding sound between the base of my skull and my neck when I sleep diagonally

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Post up a pic or two of your set up and that could help us troubleshoot it with you. It could be that you have too much sag, or not enough. It could be the hammock that you chose is just not ideal for sleeping in (may be good for lounging)?
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Post up a pic or two of your set up and that could help us troubleshoot it with you. It could be that you have too much sag, or not enough. It could be the hammock that you chose is just not ideal for sleeping in (may be good for lounging)?
    I'll do that as soon as I'm home. The amazon reviews seem to reflect its viability as a good primary sleeping solution

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If anyone can get you sorted it's the folks here. I'm new to the game myself and have drawn a ton of knowledge and inspiration from the people here already. They'll be able to help. And welcome
    Coffee?

Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    Look for the book "Ultimate Hang" and watch some Shug Emery videos about hammocking. There is a lot about camping and hammocking, not sure about permanent hammocking rather than a bed. Just be patient and your thread will be filled with tons of expert info about what you need to do to get the best sleep ever, from some of the best guys ever.
    Welcome!
    I've just ordered it, hammocking might be the very thing to get me into hiking and camping, I can almost smell the fresh air right now

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If anyone can get you sorted it's the folks here. I'm new to the game myself and have drawn a ton of knowledge and inspiration from the people here already. They'll be able to help. And welcome
    Yeah, everyone here seems quite savvy and I cant wait to be a nightly hammock sleeper. Though this forum comes across as a primarily outdoor camping hammock community, I expect to become one myself.

• + New Posts