Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat

The Cadillac of Hammocks design and feature ideas

All I can think of to describe what I'm designing is the Cadillac of hammocks.

Long story short, I'm looking to to design a hammock for cool weather, but also for many nights stay in the same location.
    I camp a lot during the spring and fall. I also have a few 5+ day trips which would see me leaving the hammock setup for some time in the same spot.
    Weight for this hammock is not a huge factor as I'll be travelling via boat (kayak/canoe) or hopping off a train in the middle of no where.

So far I'm looking at incorporating an (thermal reflective) insulated layer into the hammock itself. This will provide warmth, but not have to worry about a pad or similar moving around on me.
    I'll include two tarps, one with a thermal reflective layer (for cool weather) and one without. This should help reduce the sleeping bag or quilt weight/size.
    A built in head and toe bag (box?) will be a must.

What would more experienced hangers consider incorporating into their hammock if weight wasn't an issue (within reason of course)?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Well, since you are not worried about weight...

A hammock with a thin layer of 'summer' insulation might be a neato idea as long as condensation is not an issue. Easy enough to add an underquilt when the weather cools. You're already planning footbox so maybe a removable mosquito net, ridgeline and a small gear organizer for it too? I have often wished my hammocks had two or three small loops attached along both sides - just in case I wanted to use them for snugging my quilts, etc.

Good luck on your quest!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'd inculde some convenient way to store gear in the hammock. I personally like the shelf on the Warbonnet Blackbird. The saddle bags on the Ridgerunner seem good as well. I like the idea of storing stuff off to the side vs a ridgeline organizer.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well, since you are not worried about weight...

A hammock with a thin layer of 'summer' insulation might be a neato idea as long as condensation is not an issue. Easy enough to add an underquilt when the weather cools. You're already planning footbox so maybe a removable mosquito net, ridgeline and a small gear organizer for it too? I have often wished my hammocks had two or three small loops attached along both sides - just in case I wanted to use them for snugging my quilts, etc.

Good luck on your quest!
    Sorry, should have mentioned the bug net, it's a must up here during the warmer months. Removable would be nice, but I'm wondering if it will be a pain with gear hanging off the sides. I'm thinking of a few small (light utility) pockets along the inside and some gear hooks (for shoes, maybe cloths for the morning, etc) would be a great idea.
    I don't think condensation should be an issue, but I'll find out. The thermal reflective material I'm using is a woven material that is breathable (same or similar stuff to what is used in high end winter jackets). I truely hope condensation with this stuff is a non-issue as that would make my new cold weather hiking sleeping bag a complete failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'd inculde some convenient way to store gear in the hammock. I personally like the shelf on the Warbonnet Blackbird. The saddle bags on the Ridgerunner seem good as well. I like the idea of storing stuff off to the side vs a ridgeline organizer.
    I'll have to look into that shelf on the Warbonnet Blackbird. Was thinking ridgeline bags.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    pockets! loops - inside and out for securing gear, insulation, clothing! a fan! a hydration bladder pocket! LED lights! a pocket near my head for my ipod! another fan! (June - August in Virginia is NOT rational hammocking season!)

Images
    The weight of a heat reflective tarp will probably add more weight to your setup than you'd be able to save in increased efficiency, especially considering a tarp is not a closed system, heat can flow in and out on the breeze etc. i doubt you'd notice much added warmth from it and probably not enough to enable any real weight savings on your sleeping bag. i think you'll find that "real" insulation works better than thermal reflective "insulation", which is usually more of a gimmick, case in point: a closed cell foam pad is many times more effective than a windshield reflector even though the foam doesn't reflect any heat
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 04-10-2013 at 17:57.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used omni tape for the bug net. Softer then velcro and makes it easily removable when not needed.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Check out the hammock a friend of mine made. It has two shelves, dual internal organizers and interchangeable zippered bug net, fleece and ripstop covers.

• + New Posts