http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9OBR2_mPD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02JO1oppjQ

I need some feedback on my setup.

Couple of issues:

1. Lots of Sag
    2. Very tight ridgline
    3. Centering of Hammock under tarp.
    4. Anything else you spot.

My first time to setup a tarp and second time for the hammock.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 02-13-2009 at 15:08. Reason: embedded videos

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Nice looking setup!

I like a tight ridgeline. I leave it fairly loose when I hang it...but by the time I get in...it's good and tight. Don't worry, that Amsteel will hold!

Getting the hammock centered under the tarp just takes practice and depends on what type of hammock you're using...but your setup looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Nice looking setup!

I like a tight ridgeline. I leave it fairly loose when I hang it...but by the time I get in...it's good and tight. Don't worry, that Amsteel will hold!

Getting the hammock centered under the tarp just takes practice and depends on what type of hammock you're using...but your setup looks nice!
    Sweet - I was bumbling my way through it. Really had no idea what I was doing.

How about getting the lay a bit higher? I mean I have the straps almost as high as i could reach - just tighten them down?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    Sweet - I was bumbling my way through it. Really had no idea what I was doing.

How about getting the lay a bit higher? I mean I have the straps almost as high as i could reach - just tighten them down?
    I usually wrap my carabiner and attach to trees about eye level...but I'm only 5'9". I don't strap super tight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How far apart were the trees? If they are too far apart, you won't be able to reach high enough up the tree to get the 'preferred' angle with the webbing. You then have to pull the ridgeline tight when setting-up, which will cause more vertical drop when you get in.

Tarp looks like it's well set; nice job for a tarp virgin!

If you are still having problems, it might help to shoot the video as you are setting the hammock; before you put the tarp up. That will let us see any possible 'errors' you may be making. You really don't want to be sitting on top of your pack. The friction will rub a hole in the hammock or at the very least create a weak spot.

Simple slip-knot, that's all you need behind the rings.
    Trust nobody!

I think Cannibal is on to the problem there. Those trees seem to be quite far apart, maybe even 20 ft or so. If you can try to find a couple of trees maybe 15 ft apart and try it again. And, shoot the hanging part of it too! Good videos. One thing to remember is when you are showing the audience something, like the biners on the straps, hold the shot for about 7 or 8 seconds. Gives the viewer time to see what it is you are showing them.

Nice hammock, I may have to break down and get one myself!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

15 Yrds?

I think the video said they are 15 yards apart (obviously you meant feet). If they are indeed 15 feet though, that should be a decent distance. 15 yds might be just a little to far though

Adam

Images
    yes, just a slip knot or half-hitch (behind) the rings. if you tie it on a bight, you can untie it by just pulling on the free end and it will "pop" undone rather than having to actually untie it. if your backup knot isn't nice and tight behind the rings before you get in, some webbing might slide through until it pulls tight against the backup, but if the backup is tight to the back of the rings, there's no room for anything to move. if some webbing is slipping through before it finally catches the backup knot, then that could be the reason for the hammock ending up so low.

another reason it might be ending up lower is if the rl is really tight (how tight is tight) and the hammock "drops" a substantial amount as soon as you weight it and you're sure the webbing isn't slipping through the rings, it probably means the angle of the webbing is too "flat" it should be at about a 25 deg angle before you get in, much flatter than this and you'll experience the "drop" so...
    try going higher on the trees. if you can't, try and find trees that aren't so far apart. 1-3 feet beyond the ends of your tarp is about perfect. any farther apart than this and you'll really have to try hard to get the straps as high as possible on the tree. the more you tighten the suspension beyond 25deg (i.e., the more horizontal you make it), the more it will drop when you get in. best to just try and find closer trees if possible.

try marking out a good distance at home and then pace it out by counting your steps or whatever, so you can accurately measure in the field. be able to do this for the min of 12' and a max of 18'. i think grizz looks for trees about equal to the span of his out-stretched hiking poles.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-13-2009 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I think the video said they are 15 yards apart (obviously you meant feet). If they are indeed 15 feet though, that should be a decent distance. 15 yds might be just a little to far though

Adam
    Yep, 15 yards is a bit far. There seems to be about 5' of straps on each end of the BB. Isn't the BB about 10' long? That would put those trees on line to be about 20' apart.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    One thing I noticed on the tarp is you don't have the tie outs straight out from the ends. You will notice at 41 sec of the first video that the line doesn't come straight off the tieout. Try centering it so it goes more towards the tree and it should take up any slack you had in the tarp.

Good job!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast