Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere View Post
    Certainly can use them for that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8JXxCPe1M

Also, it makes a great reflector for a campfire, just prop it up with a couple of rocks and you will double the heat you get from your campfire.

OMG....I just spent 2.5 hours of my life watching one video after another, with the varied DIY solar grills, ovens, parabolic mirrors and so on. Talk about A.D.D Thanks a lot for that major side track

Oh, almost forgot, as to not thread hijack...cheers to reflectix Over the years there has just been so much proven use for it. Lots and lots of our own members have done many tests of it, if you do a forum search. To think, some here actual still call it snake oil

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    OMG....I just spent 2.5 hours of my life watching one video after another, with the varied DIY solar grills, ovens, parabolic mirrors and so on. Talk about A.D.D Thanks a lot for that major side track
    Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I've built 5 solar cookers so far, and all of them work well. If you're interested you can waste a few more minutes of your life here.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Sounds like a good trial. Did you get much moisture?
    I did get a bit but it wasn't an issue once I had the SP in place. I probably could have taken the reflector out and just used the SP but I think my shoulders might have got a bit cold. If there was some way to anchor the reflector in place I think the whole exercise would have been better. That's the upside of trialling things in your backyard, if things go pear shaped you can bug out indoors!

I can see why UQ's are so popular though. But I'm not going to spend hundreds on one at this stage of my learning curve. I've picked up a genuine USMC woobie poncho liner online for under $40 delivered here so that will be a good start to play with.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I've built 5 solar cookers so far, and all of them work well. If you're interested you can waste a few more minutes of your life here.

Dang it....You have got to stop that So, are you Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    I have a few car sunshades sitting in my garage.. How do they compare? I just received my 3/4 length UQ & was debating what to use for my feet & as a sit pad.
    I made a sunshade out of this stuff and it works just well if not better.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Dang it....You have got to stop that So, are you Steve?
    Yes. I know not a lot of people give their names away on forums but I'm not so concerned.

Anyway, hammock hanging is my latest obsession, and I'm having a ball learning and trying things out. I am a real tinkerer and love to make things and find ways to do things that suit my particular needs.

I'm just about finished fitting out my first hammock set. I'm just waiting on my poncho liner to come and it will be pretty complete. I'm starting cheap and will work from there. So far so good. My setup has cost me less than $150 and should give me enerything I need for now.

My main motivation at the moment is to put together a hammock to take with me on a series of kayak trips down the Murray River here in Australia. It's a total length of 2500 kms. (1500 miles) which goes through a wide range of landscapes, which I will do in a number of short trips over the next few years. I wanted a camping system that allowed me to sleep and camp comfortably in a wide range of situations, including places where a tent may not always be either allowed or be convenient. With a hammock and tarp I have the option to camp in the widest range of situations. I've even tried a suspension system using tent poles as substitutes for trees, which works fine. So I think by the time the next trip comes up in September I should have my system pretty well sorted out.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Yes. I know not a lot of people give their names away on forums but I'm not so concerned.

Anyway, hammock hanging is my latest obsession, and I'm having a ball learning and trying things out. I am a real tinkerer and love to make things and find ways to do things that suit my particular needs.

I'm just about finished fitting out my first hammock set. I'm just waiting on my poncho liner to come and it will be pretty complete. I'm starting cheap and will work from there. So far so good. My setup has cost me less than $150 and should give me enerything I need for now.

My main motivation at the moment is to put together a hammock to take with me on a series of kayak trips down the Murray River here in Australia. It's a total length of 2500 kms. (1500 miles) which goes through a wide range of landscapes, which I will do in a number of short trips over the next few years. I wanted a camping system that allowed me to sleep and camp comfortably in a wide range of situations, including places where a tent may not always be either allowed or be convenient. With a hammock and tarp I have the option to camp in the widest range of situations. I've even tried a suspension system using tent poles as substitutes for trees, which works fine. So I think by the time the next trip comes up in September I should have my system pretty well sorted out.

On this forum many of us share our names and some even include it in their signatures.

Anyways, it sounds like you're well on your way. That is how my son and I started out too. My son and I are also planning a River trip, not like yours, extremely small scale, but I'm excited about it. My hammock is pink, and since we'll be stealth camping, I'm whipping together a different hammock that won't stand out so bad. I'm sending a PM as to no thread hijack.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I thinking of messing around using Reflectix in between a folded over PL as a spring/summer under quilt.

Some have mentioned doing this, but I did not see any reports as to how effective it was?

What has your experience ? was moisture an issue ?

My thinking is that if the hammock and one layer of PL is between you and the Reflectix that the PL would wick off any moisture?

Also I am thinking of using Velcro on the inside 2nd layer of PL and on the backside Of Reflectix to keep it in place. The idea is this all could be stuffed in to a stuff sack.

Any other insights or something I missing ?

Thanks,
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SynMat9/Phantom 15
    Suspension
    Kammok Python Strp
    During the Winter Hang here in Oregon I used some of this during the 2nd night. I had no UQ and my bottom insulation was an Exped Synmat 9. The 1st night my backside got a bit cold. So the 2nd night I placed some Reflectix on top of my air pad and I was surprised at how much extra warmth it added.

Good stuff and the price is right
    My Flickr / My YouTube

"Most of us are just about as happy as we make up our minds to be" - Abraham Lincoln

"A left handed, open minded, closed mouth (quiet), over-analytical, under the radar, through the woods kind of guy" -Me

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast