Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    i must have missed that one... but did you see my avatar and my sig that reads: "sleeping on the ground is for dogs"?

if you turn out to be a 300lb hirsute man in a speedo, Im going to shoot milk out of my nose!
    I think i have seen your avatar, come to think of it.

I wouldn't turn into a hirsute man in a speedo, but let me introduce you to my boyfriend...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Consider that bookmarked!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    hammocks as camping shelters
    Very well written Mike! I will be printing it out to put in my Hammmock camping binder. I think it a great piece to give someone who has reservations about hanging.

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post

I want to think that people would be able to understand the nuances of hammocking if presented in the right way. Dispelling the myths would be a good section to include right in the begginning of the book, probably in the introduction!

I agree that it is hard to break the preconceived notions of the sheeple, but I like Cannibal think we are on a tipping point right now with regards to hammock camping. The ideas and gear have been very thouroughly developed and tested in real world conditions down to insane temps. I think it is time to push hammocking over the edge into the mainstream.
    Yes and no - do we really want to share with the Mundanes?

I'm skeptical that they will come hammocking in droves; I think it's more an underground sort of thing that will slowly turn fashionable before anyone notices it.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I believe the hammock market is much larger than it appears to be at this point. There are many other examples of strong markets that are not for the sheeple.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I see the people coming in droves too. Having a hammock has slowly become a new fad at my college... i see them everywhere now, whereas a year ago there was probably only two of us that would use hammocks to lounge and camp in, but I was walking on campus the other day and saw at least 5 hammocks with people all around them... and I thought to myself if they only knew the wonders of hammock camping, what would they do? Especially if the people were not educated on leave no trace... I saw a mark from a rope the other day and I cringed and sighed

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    We need a book that can sit on the shelf at the backpacking shops around the country that will direct the masses toward considering hammock camping as an option for their adventures they are planning.
    Frankly, I'm not sure I want "the masses" out there, and "directing the masses" sounds a bit too much like preaching to me.

Rise up off the ground brothers and sisters! Hang with me now!

How 'bout we just quietly lead by example? I get plenty of questions when I hang, but I don't preach about it, I just let people that are interested check it out.

The bikini model bit does sound good, though!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    How 'bout we just quietly lead by example? I get plenty of questions when I hang, but I don't preach about it, I just let people that are interested check it out.
    The bikini model bit does sound good, though!
    LEAD BY EXAMPLE... I am with you on that. In my opinion folks seem to want something when they see YOUR joy and passion but seems if it is forced then they resist ... until it becomes their own idea or free will to try.
    I have a Speedo and a Sportsman's Body with total white skin and red hair on it ..... Makes me think of raw chicken.
    I agree that Ed's book could just be updated and JJ site says it all as well.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    The Complete Hanger - Hammocker's Bible is a neat idea and one that should be a collaborative effort. We have so many rich and varied users, as well as small and large businesses or website bloggers representing the many aspects of hammocks/hammock hanging/hammock accessories.

Would be neat to compile and collaborate between/amongst these individuals in order to give everyone a chance to share their expertise. It would be a shame to leave folks out since it's all about presenting ideas and ultimately letting the reader decide on what's best for them and their particular purpose.

how about developing a youth market ? Hens. has scout size hammocks .I can't quote numbers but I recall Backpacking Mag. stateing how large a percentage of all campers started in Scouts . The survey/thread about Scout involvment on this forum made me think of this angle .One good Article in Boys Life mag.would reach a huge market ,and they are being taught L.NT. camp principles.Adding info to no impact, hammock camping would carry far. I wonder if it could be offered as a Merit badge subject ? While working for EMS I gave several demos of gear for troops ,and I know other shops did demos at Jamborees .Dudes these kids are the next generation of hangers ! but sorry no bikinis in the merit badge book ! I had asked before on my first thread if there is a hammock manufacters trade group,if there is or is not this might be a good public service project to start .If this style of camping is promoted positively there would be more bussiness for everybody .Who couldn't use more work right ? ok,somebody make a t.a.r.p. joke now !

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK:

What did Treasury use to put the Capital Purchase Program together?
    Duct TARP.

What do you call a bank that’s been turned down by Treasury?
    TARPooned!

What is a banker’s favorite breakfast food?
    PopTARPs.

I've got more.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast