View Poll Results: Do you/will you own a Warbonnet?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own a Blackbird!

41 32.28%
  • I ordered a Blackbird!

20 15.75%
  • I have That Other Warbonnet Hammock

6 4.72%
  • I have some other hammock that I use

71 55.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing

Cool warbonnet

as of right now I don't own one but,I will stress this, I don't own one YET but I will.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Waiting for mine

I recently ordered a BB similar to H4C. It's a 1.1-1.7, gray bottom, olive strip in between with the reverse cut. I did the reverse cut for a couple of reasons. First, I like to get in on the right side (weird?) and second, I prefer to lie on my right side and thought that my face would be tilted upward and my feet would bend out into the box. I could be wrong about this, but I thought I'd give it a try. The only thing that would be negative about it is that while lying on my right side it would be easier to reach up onto the shelf.
    However it works out I am looking forward to trying the BB for myself.

Images
    dutch, did you take it fully apart?
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-14-2009 at 12:35.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I don't have my notes but I think the body is a 9'3" x 64" rectangle.
    I read in a post (because I was searching for this particular dimension) that the BB is 72" wide, which is what makes it so nice to lay on a diag!

Adam

Images
    the 72" includes the bit between the zipper and the net, so you're not really laying on that part, but it gives more room by allowing the netting to be farther away. it's about 63-64" for the part you lay on. and starts out 10' long before the ends are hemmed, so is a bit longer than 9'3" afterwards.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    just back home and got the BB out to have a look. Measured the width (before WBG's prior post), confirmed, 64" is the normal roll width so I found the 72" figure surprising.

Also see I was talking out of the wrong oriface when I said
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    So I'm thinking the difference with respect to foot area must be due to the tie-outs.
    Grizz
    ain't no tie-outs down near the footbox! Lesson learned: look before you speak.

My feet don't go all the way to the edge of the base support layer, but close. In particular, they stay within the bounds of the 64" wide rectangle. With the extra fabric of an ENO double (it's 80" wide), one could hang with the same sag (its very close to the same length as the BB), and the same diagonal angle. As far as the geometry of the human body on the hammock, it seems it would be the same. Differences : how the hammock lays above you (particularly at the feet and head), and the fabric.

As long as I was rolling around in it, I tried a nice fetal curl. I do miss that position in a bridge hammock.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 02-14-2009 at 16:49.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I received my BB last Saturday and have had one glorious night in it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    As long as I was rolling around in it, I tried a nice fetal curl. I do miss that position in a bridge hammock.
    Fetal curl is especially nice when you get chilled, and nearly impossible in a bridge.

Images
    I have a Blackbird and consider it to be "best of breed" when it comes to bugnet-enclosed gathered end hammocks. I prefer the lay of a bridge hammock, but appreciate the spaciousness of the BB.
    Same here. Plus, I appreciate the operational smoothness of the netting and zipper and interior storage above all others. I am surprised at how much I appreciate the latter in a top loading, net zippered hammock, since being able to easily reach outside to get to your gear has always been one of the major pluses to a top loader anyway. None the less, I really enjoy that shelf thingy.

I understand from Brandon that the main body (excluding butterfly wing add-on bit and netting) is a symmetric rectangle, with ends gathered symmetrically. The bugnet over the ridgeline is not necessary to shape the lay. All this implies that the lay of the hammock along the diagonal ought to be (and as far as I can tell in mine, is) the same as you have with an identically dimensioned simple hammock, such as an ENO, or Travel Hammock.

Someone in the growing mob of evangelistic BB converts there must be one---at least one---who has made the change from an ENO style to the BB. Do you think the lay is different, or is the value added here in the whole package of hammock/netting/shelf/ridgeline/image...I'm thinking it is the latter rather than the former.

But soft, what noise through yonder hedgerow breaks? It is the mob, and yea verily they do have malice in their hearts and must heresy in their midst suppress.

I'm outa here...

Grizz
    Maybe I shouldn't answer because, as much as I like my BB, I have not yet joined that evangelistic group you mention ( please don't shoot me! ). As great as it is, I still appreciate certain pros and cons of my other hammocks. Even my lowly HH, particularly when I consider my SS. Also possibly disqualifying me, I don't own an ENO. But, I do have a HH, Treklite(sp?), Claytor NN, Speer and last but certainly not least, a JRB BMBH. So I figure: close enough on the ENO.

So, if I am qualified to answer, then I say that the answer for me is: "I'm thinking it is the latter rather than the former.". IOW, for me, the BB's strong suite is "the value added here in the whole package of hammock/netting/shelf/ridgeline/image". As comfortable as it is, it's major score is not that quality. For example, I'm not ready yet to say that it is any more comfortable than my Claytor NN for back sleeping, and the Claytor MIGHT be a tiny smidgeon more comy for side sleeping, particularly for right side sleeping and particularly if I am not in "fetal", but have my legs out straight. And speaking ONLY of comfort, I still find my HHEXPUL as comfy for back sleeping as any of them. At least if I have something under my knees and/or have a leg pad in there, which is something I need in every one of the gathered end hammocks anyway.

And if we are talking STRICTLY comfort in a variety of sleeping positions, I still have to go with the BMBH. Though it has it's own unique set of drawbacks, for me comfort is sure not one of them. And that is my opinion after my original rejection of the BMBH due to shoulder issues. I'm glad I got another one and worked with it till I figured it out.

OTOH, the BB ( and my other hammocks to varying degrees) are still very comfortable, you don't have to carry spreader bars, and that also makes dealing with a smaller tarp easier, and the BB has those wonderful zippered net, shelf and roominess factors.

OTOH, the MWUQ seems a custom fit on the BMBH, provides super warmth with super comfort/convenience, as there is never a worry about a cold spot from well above my head to below my toes and regardless of back vs side positioning. I never have to worry about where an elbow or knee has wandered off to! I have not so far managed to flop over onto a cold spot, not counting any top quilt issues.

And then I could get off into benefits of using my PeaPod with my Claytor, or how much I have sometimes appreciated my HH SSUC when my tarp pitch has been less than perfect after the wind changed directions on me. That UC has been a very handy 8 or 10 oz, or whatever it is.

As you can see, I am a hopeless hammock sl*t, running from one to another, and often having a hard time choosing for a trip. But I do seem to be leaning towards the BMBH/MWUQ combo lately, and that is strictly comfort related. But if I was counting ounces for a trip, I could end up going with most any of my hammocks, partly depending on the expected weather. I am glad that we have several excellent choices.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    dutch, did you take it fully apart?
    Naa I just unwhipped it and seamripped the footbox and shelf from the body so I could pattern it. The rest is straight lines and can be measured. It's pretty far down a long gearmaking list but I plan on cloning it. So far all I got is some drawlings and a zipper. Someone has to clone it sooner or later.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast