Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Chuck would roundhouse kick the clouds and make it rain, so you wouldn't need those 2L bottles. And a tattoo of Chuck's boot on your forehead is MUCH worse than a MagLite one.

Can't wait to see the test results. One thing I can think of - the scales will necessarily extend when you weight the hammock, so you might not be able to get good readings for heavy weights and low angles. Still, the data will be useful.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Can't wait to see the test results. One thing I can think of - the scales will necessarily extend when you weight the hammock, so you might not be able to get good readings for heavy weights and low angles. Still, the data will be useful.
    I'd thought about that, too. One way around it - albeit much more difficult logistically - would be to use a fine-calibrated stress meter instead of a scale. They use a sold piece of metal, which doesn't noticeably flex under load, and measure its perturbation from equilibrium via current or magnetic field fluctuations. They're a lot more accurate than a scale for measuring forces, but also harder to find and more expensive. On the other hand, HE can probably get his hands on one, being an engineer
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'd thought about that, too. One way around it - albeit much more difficult logistically - would be to use a fine-calibrated stress meter instead of a scale. They use a sold piece of metal, which doesn't noticeably flex under load, and measure its perturbation from equilibrium via current or magnetic field fluctuations. They're a lot more accurate than a scale for measuring forces, but also harder to find and more expensive. On the other hand, HE can probably get his hands on one, being an engineer

No but I can get ahold of wind gauges, capacitive and piezo strain gauges and the controls and post processing needed. Strain on these would not be as useful I think. All of us are using some sort of static line. Yeah there is some stretch to them and the straps, but it is definitly a non-linear system.

I still say a simple fish or pack scale will work. Two would be perfect to measure each end. That would take placement in the hammock out of the equation.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I'm not a big fan of Chuck as far as martial arts go, but I think I'd rather have him than a maglite in a survival situation. Why? Because if nothing else I could make him carry my gear if I broke a leg or something!
    You could use your maglite as a support pole on your hammock to load the rest of your gear in and use it like a sled. Still rather have the maglite. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

guys,

been looking for the diagram for hammock set up with rope stress info on it, i`ve seen it on here before but cant find it, please help.

K
    Last edited by 1stoffoot; 02-04-2008 at 13:47.

Images
    i believe kiwidad used one to test the forces on his supports in the "hitchcraft for a hammock" thread. several agreed upon an equation to figure forces based on weight earlier in the thread, kd's test seemed to be in line with those findings. 30 deg angle = your bodyweight on each support.

I built a simple fixture to hold the come-along, scale and test piece. The come-along is rated to 2,000 lbs and the scale is rated to 10,000 lbs and in calibration. The load was always evenly applied, not shock loaded.

The test I did was with some 3.5mm Samson DuraHPS cord I picked up from eBay. It is rated to 1600 lbs. It was advertised as the same material as Amsteel. I put a bowline in each end and pulled to failure at about 700 lbs. Just about half of the rated test strength. So knots do drop the strength of cord about 50%. This material failed quickly with a snap and failed right at the knot.

Unknown

Here is a picture of the test rig and the failed cord
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    cool test, thats actually the first time i have heard of spectra actually failing at the knot where it is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I built a simple fixture to hold the come-along, scale and test piece. The come-along is rated to 2,000 lbs and the scale is rated to 10,000 lbs and in calibration. The load was always evenly applied, not shock loaded.

The test I did was with some 3.5mm Samson DuraHPS cord I picked up from eBay. It is rated to 1600 lbs. It was advertised as the same material as Amsteel. I put a bowline in each end and pulled to failure at about 700 lbs. Just about half of the rated test strength. So knots do drop the strength of cord about 50%. This material failed quickly with a snap and failed right at the knot.

Unknown

Here is a picture of the test rig and the failed cord

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345