Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    What is the factor at 20 to 25 deg.? And is it definitely this factor X(times) total weight for each rope, and not just half?
    Bill

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The real world data is almost always different than theoretical. There are almost always losses unaccounted for.
    I hear you there. My grad school work is making computer models and tweaking them to match experimental test results.

That is usually why I make huge saftey factors when I am figuring the load rating of my suspension system.

My thought is more of an optimation thing than anything else. I know that my current system will hold me just fine. But if I can make a small change, mainly the type of knot I use to attach my rope from my hammock to the decending ring, and get an increase in load it can handle. Then the engineer in me wants to do it.

Think of it as getting the most out of what I am currently using.

Plus you never know, maybe one of these days my car will want it's own hammock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I hear you there. My grad school work is making computer models and tweaking them to match experimental test results.

That is usually why I make huge saftey factors when I am figuring the load rating of my suspension system.

My thought is more of an optimation thing than anything else. I know that my current system will hold me just fine. But if I can make a small change, mainly the type of knot I use to attach my rope from my hammock to the decending ring, and get an increase in load it can handle. Then the engineer in me wants to do it.

Think of it as getting the most out of what I am currently using.

Plus you never know, maybe one of these days my car will want it's own hammock.
    I am a groundwater modeler. We don't even know what is really going on underground, but "hey, I can tell you with some certainty that the water is going to disappear if you keep pumping like that." lol

Images
    I am a groundwater modeler. We don't even know what is really going on underground, but "hey, I can tell you with some certainty that the water is going to disappear if you keep pumping like that." lol
    Sounds like what my doctor told me once. Unless I cut you open and look at what is going on, I am just going off of my best guess. Pretty funny coming from a doctor.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Sounds like what my doctor told me once. Unless I cut you open and look at what is going on, I am just going off of my best guess. Pretty funny coming from a doctor.
    And even then they are not absolutely sure. And neither are we. lol
    BOT: I think I am going to study up on statics. I want to be able to figure these calculations out on my own.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    And even then they are not absolutely sure. And neither are we. lol
    BOT: I think I am going to study up on statics. I want to be able to figure these calculations out on my own.
    You can get what you need out of any intro physics book. Should take you about 5 minutes.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Basic trig - force on the support is the hypoteneus of a triangle.

h = (.5 x user weight) / sin(support angle)

Youngblood posted an Excel spreadsheet in the Files section of Yahoo hammockcamping. You plug in your weight and it spits out the force for various angles. You need to be logged into Yahoo to access the files.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i never was good at all that math stuff. if i want to cut the perfect angle on a 2x4 brace, i lay it where it goes & mark it... BAM!!! perfect
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Basic trig - force on the support is the hypoteneus of a triangle.

h = (.5 x user weight) / sin(support angle)

Youngblood posted an Excel spreadsheet in the Files section of Yahoo hammockcamping. You plug in your weight and it spits out the force for various angles. You need to be logged into Yahoo to access the files.
    You don't have to teach me Trig. I taught trig at University. I was really referring to learning more complex concepts.

EDIT:Sorry just realized it seems as though I was attacking you. I was just explaining that I wanted to actually learn statics, not just the rudiments.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-13-2007 at 18:58.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph
    I think I am going to study up on statics. I want to be able to figure these calculations out on my own.
    Is there another static equation that fits better? What's left to study up on? (Seriously asking...not being sarcastic)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast