Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Facebook is just a social networking site that has taken off pretty big. Kind of like Myspace but not as sucky (my opinion of course)

Adam
    I have heard of Myspace (never looked at it) but not facebook. Is it one of those sites where you aren't anyone unless you are on there
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Facebook and texting are two significant reasons why our "young-skulls-full-of mush" are described thusly.
    well I do text so does that make me a old-skull-full-of-mush
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    well I do text so does that make me a old-skull-full-of-mush
    Yes.

You wouldn't know about those sites 'cause that's where guys go to pick up young, pretty women. A stud like you doesn't need those to find women.

note: I have NEVER been to either site. And, I don't intend to any time soon. You will have to text me to find me.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    You wouldn't know about those sites 'cause that's where guys go to pick up young, pretty women. A stud like you doesn't need those to find women.
    I met my wife camping! Whoo Hoo!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Um, arent you are on facebook too Finn?

But yes, I also agree that people need to get away from SCREENS of all kinds!

Adam
    Yes, but I don't spend every waking hour connected via internet or cell to another human being. Heck, I even like complete quiet most of the time, and don't have something plugged into my ear constantly feeding noise to my brain. Seeing people texting while driving, in the gas station, walking down the street..... And then the constant updating of what you are doing in your life in facebook for everyone to know - I like to think I'm a little more private than that. I don't need or want to tell people I'm out the door for a Dr. Appointment, or I'm cleaning the kids diapers, or I'm having a bad day, etc... If you notice my facebook, I have not and will not update the "What I'm Doing Right Now" section, because frankly, it's nobody else's beeswax. If you want to know what I'm doing at this moment, call me. Of course, if I'm busy I may not answer. The only thing I may ever type in that silly box is "I'm typing in this silly box."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Yes, but I don't spend every waking hour connected via internet or cell to another human being. Heck, I even like complete quiet most of the time, and don't have something plugged into my ear constantly feeding noise to my brain. Seeing people texting while driving, in the gas station, walking down the street..... And then the constant updating of what you are doing in your life in facebook for everyone to know - I like to think I'm a little more private than that. I don't need or want to tell people I'm out the door for a Dr. Appointment, or I'm cleaning the kids diapers, or I'm having a bad day, etc... If you notice my facebook, I have not and will not update the "What I'm Doing Right Now" section, because frankly, it's nobody else's beeswax. If you want to know what I'm doing at this moment, call me. Of course, if I'm busy I may not answer. The only thing I may ever type in that silly box is "I'm typing in this silly box."
    \

Okay, Okay, simmer down! Computers suck!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Are you sure they don't consider HF a social networking site?

I am glad we are part of facebook, it goes another step, creates other opportunities. I too cannot access it at work because it is considered a social networking site. A cartoon character similar looking to the Clark Kent of the old superman comic books pops up with his hand up, palm facing the screen and says "you cannot access this site". I try not to see him too often, I like my internet priviliges at work.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Sorry, Adam; I'm a little wound up today - somebody pushed my buttons this morning. Didn't mean to go off on you. I think people are missing out on a lot of beauty doing exactly what I'm doing now - sitting at a computer and typing. Or texting on their cell phone, instead of seeing what's around them. People are getting more insulated from the real world while they are connecting to crude representations of each other. It's not right or wrong, just the "old codger" in me that would rather dip my foot in a stream than read about someone else doing it on their facebook page. Another symptom of my "not enough time" syndrome.

I'm happy HF is part of the social networking thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    FF don't feel too bad about feeling like that. I am 33 but feel much older because of the information revolution. Every day I watch people plug further into the 'lectric world and disconnect from the natural world. I love the ability to share with others and communicate easily all over the world in many different forms af media, but I would way rather just meet up with everyone and really talk.
    I don't use any sites like facebook, mostly because I think If you want to stay in touch with me then come on, let's go. Or we can chat about it later over a couple brews. I have some friends who love being able to see what's going on with people thay havent seen in years but my thought is if I actually cared I wouldn't be out of touch with them to begin with.
    Of course I'm kinda cynical these days.
    I do admit that I love forums like this one as they have really helped me to obsess over the hobbies I have picked up in the last 6 years. Scuba diving, gold prospecting, metal detecting, rockhounding and lapidary, and now Hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

I agree

I too feel like electronic networking is taking the place of many important things. I will say this though. I have met some great real life friends because of the internet. This is not to say "SEE FACEBOOK IS A GOOD THING".

These days I am just not able to get away and be OUT THERE as much as I want to be. Jen would let me go to the point that I would feel guilty burdening her with so much responsibility (I am already a little guilty of that.. ) So while I am stuck at the house or in the office I can at least live vicariously though some you guys and learn about more ways to spend money on gear!

Adam

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast