Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil

hybrid underquilt

Some people have thrown around different ideas for underquilts, but I have yet to see an idea that combines two different ideas. Conceptually, it might make sense to combine the ideas of the space blanket underquilt and the fleece underquilt. The setup would be to have a thin fleece underquilt snugly fit around the bottom of the hammock with a space blanket below it. The hope would be that the space blanket would insulate warmth and the fleece would keep the condensation off the hammock/body. It seems like it could possibly work, and would be much lighter than the 22 oz down underquilts jrb sells. Is there something big I'm missing here?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Fleece is heavy and does not compress well at all. If the space blanket worked like you think it will (I don't know) the perspiration still needs to go somewhere. It will more than likely get absorbed into the fleece. That's fine from an insulation angle since fleece will still insulate effectively when wet, but the weight will just start climbing.

Having said that, you should try it. I see you are in Denver, so you aren't going to have the same perspiration problems as the folks on the coasts. One nice thing about the arid climate here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Oh, and welcome to the Forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Fleece has been thrown around on the forums a lot. Some have used it inside, some outside. For the most part as far as I can tell, it has pretty much been relegated to the clothes for a sleep system. Space blankets are usually used, as near as I can tell, for a vapor barrier to keep the moisture out of the main insulator.

All that having been said.... the main premise around here seems to be... if you can think of it... give it a try... report back and let us know how you made out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil

thoughts?

thanks for the welcome....

The point regarding the packability of fleece is accurate, although I was maybe thinking of getting very very thin fleece to do it as I only need it for its hydro-properties. Before I actually try this though, any thoughts on maybe substituting fleece for a sheet made of a baselayer material like polypropylene?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    In regards to using a space blanket or mylar - if you haven't already seen it, take a look here at Youngblood's thread on vapor barrier use. It represents a good explanation of what many members of this forum have learned through using them. It might shed some light on your own testing.

Welcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm going to have to agree with angrysparrow, there is some really good info in that thread! I don't use a space blanket, so I don't really know how it will work. I was always told that it needed to be near the skin to be effective, but many people here have proved that to be inaccurate information.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    thin fleece and sb will no doubt add some warmth, i don't think it will be as warm as a traditional down or synthetic uq though. you're not trapping as much air for one thing. also, fleece tends to not be as warm as the other insulations for the same weight, you'd probably be better off weight-wise with a thin down uq and a sb between the uq and the hammock, it would probably be alot warmer.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil
    Maybe my research was inadequate, but even the lightest underquilt was about a pound whereas this hypothetical setup could be less than half a pound. My real goal in all of this is to remedy that fact that when i go in a hammock with my down sleeping bag, the bottom gets cold bc of the compression. I must admimt that I'm not very informed about underquilts. If one of the jrb quilts is used, at what temperature would it be too cold to forego any top layer?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yippee! Another gram weenie on the forums.

What temp is a very tricky question for anybody to answer. What kind of hammock are you using? Does it have extra material on the edges that you could pull over you or is it a technical hammock like a BlackBird or Hennessy or Clark or, well you get what I'm saying.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast