Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images

How much weight makes the difference.

How much weight or what are key concerns to you on choosing a rig for a particular trip. I love my WBBB but I can cut away 8-9 oz by going with single layer bias with homemade bug net and tarp. I save more in cold months by losing bug net. The WBBB is so comfortable and has the shelf and other features that really do add ease and comfort. My Bias is very comfortable and I find myself juggling each trip on which hammock to go with. I just thought it would be an interesting dialogue to see.
    What are you key concerns and what sways you one way or another before a trip on which rig you take?

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    I'm getting ready to thru-hike the AT, and over on whiteblaze.net, there is always a constant debate on what is too much and what weight is the best. The answer that always resurfaces that I believe to be the best is, HYOY (Hike your own hike). Carry what's comfortable for you. That being said, what's comfortable for you might not be comfortable for someone else.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    How much weight or what are key concerns to you on choosing a rig for a particular trip. I love my WBBB but I can cut away 8-9 oz by going with single layer bias with homemade bug net and tarp. I save more in cold months by losing bug net. The WBBB is so comfortable and has the shelf and other features that really do add ease and comfort. My Bias is very comfortable and I find myself juggling each trip on which hammock to go with. I just thought it would be an interesting dialogue to see.
    What are you key concerns and what sways you one way or another before a trip on which rig you take?

Currently I use just a HH explorer deluxe. But I plan to DIY some more hammocks to reduce weight on longer backpacking trips. Cranky Bear has been mentoring me on some things to consider when putting together Lighter setups. I have settled on the fact that I will eventually have many hammocks designed for various climates, trip lengths, and locations. For me, getting pack weight down is fairly important, but to a limit. I love backpacking and want to do some section hikes in the next few years but I have no plans to do any Thru-Hikes yet so I only need to go but so far on getting myself into the UL category. Gonna take Cranky's advise and build my kit based on my needs and situations rather than just building kits based on general standards. I have been thinking about what I liked and didn't like on all my past trips and also thinking about the places I want to go on my future trips and the climates I want to hang in. I will start building Options for myself over the next few years to allow me to change out gear based on the trip rather than having just one or two setups to choose from.

Still learning alot and priorities can always change just like the seasons. Just lucky to have people here who are willing to mentor and provide solid advice.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As far as hammocks go, I'm sold on my BIAS WWM - light as heck, even if I bring the NanoBuginator. Other than the Darien UL, I don't see many hammocks with integrated bugnet that I would want to carry in my pack - they just weigh too much. Since I don't like zippers and integrated bugnets, I'll stick with the WWM since it's got all the comfort I need. And since most of my hanging is done in non-bug season, I really like leaving the bugnet at home.

My first UL tarp was an HG 4S CF tarp, but I didn't like the coverage. For 2 oz. more, the HG Winter Palace (and I hate the name) gives me all the coverage I want for four seasons. I like knowing that I'm covered, not matter what the weather, for 8.5 oz.

I don't find myself obsessing over whether I should go with some kind of tech line for tie-outs/ridgeline; 1.75 mm Zing-It fulfills all my needs.

While I have experimented with Dynaglide for hammock suspension, 7/64 Amsteel gives me the greatest peace of mind so I'm probably gonna stick with it. I haven't had a failure with Dynaglide, and I only weigh a buck sixty, but Dynaglide just doesn't look as robust to me.

The rest of my pack is where I focus on losing weight. I always bring too much food, too many batteries, too much first aid, etc. This is where I'm really learning to cut down on weight.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I want to bring my HHDJ on every trip. But the WWM is what's going in the pack these days.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

How much weight makes the difference.

Here are my musings. We hammock for comfort, so don't bring a hammock that is not comfortable to you. I'm sure that still leaves a lot of choices. Rank your hammocks by comfort and then weigh them. Base your decision on how many hard miles you will spend on the trail vs. how much time you will spend in camp.

After long hard miles in the mountains, day after day, I want the lightest option and I'm sure that I will sleep well due to exhaustion.

However, if I am hiking a few miles in to base camp and only doing excursion day-hikes from there to explore, then I would go for maximum comfort.
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-11-2013 at 08:01.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    if the cutting of weight makes you tired (can't sleep) or hungry (not enough food) it is not worth it. there must be balance in all that we do. my tool belt weights more then most hikers packs and i grew up carrying 50lb packs
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The difficulty of my trip (length, elevation gain) is directly proportional to how scrooge-like I get with the ounces... to a point. I've been known to go as light as possible, then add a DSLR camera & tele lens.

My hammock setup weighs more than my tent setup, but hammock comfort always wins out over ounces in this case.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I like what Im reading. Yes my normal 3-4 day weight spring/fall 18lb range. I can go below that and I can go above that depending on a few choices. It always come down to (where, how long, temp/weather, etc.) I have to say when you have a good system dialed in for a trip it feels good. Part of why I started this thread just like to see how other people approach similar situations.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I've been at this a long time. I have enough gear to tailor my load to the trip.

Because I backpack and paddle all over, the gear varies from backpacking trips in the spring and fall weekends with 9-11 lbs including food. 35lbs for a week in Glacier National Park to pulling a pulk full of bulky gear in the dead of winter at Pictured Rocks up against Lake Superior.

Tailor your needs to the trip, do what is reasonable and comfortable and remember, it shouldn't be hard or seem like a chore. Keep it enjoyable with correct gear selection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast