WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

adjustable rigging for bridge uq?

Some time in the distant past, I saw a post about some one rigging up their bridge uq so they could adjust the tension of the hang while in the hammock (maybe one of Grizz's creations?) Anyway, for the life of me, I cant find the post. does anyone remember anything like that? (should have subscribed to the thread!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Bear with me.
    Last edited by hairbear; 04-11-2013 at 08:23.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    sorry duplicate post syndrome.
    Last edited by hairbear; 04-11-2013 at 08:16.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    I posted something along that line.
    Im in the middle of doing it to my speer d i y hammock.

For a bridge hammock run a piece of 1.75 zing it through the hole in the metal spreader bar bracket,or drill another hole just big enough,and in a place that doesnt weaken the metal.
    Instead of clipping the u q to the loop like it is now ,tie the zing it to the quilt on both sides.
    Run the 1.75 through the holes as two seperate lines.
    Join the two in the middle with a taut line hitch.
    You now can lengthen the loop creating a gap under you.
    The 1.75 runs right along the spreader bar innoticed.
    Follow the pulling v directions below to see how to create a pull away from you that is constant but gentle.
    You will not notice a heat change from origional in the tight position.
    You will be able to micro adjust the gap to create that just right feeling.
    Incorporate a small section of bunji in your 1.75 on the inside span, so that if you put pressure on the u q by mistake it will give a little for you before damaging your u q.

For a gathered end.
    I use a amsteel ucr for my ridge line.
    Splice a piece of amsteel about 6 inches long into the ridge line in the place where your under quilt is going to need to be pulled tight,both at the head end (far enough toward your suspension so that you dont have to look at it while laying in the hammock) and at the foot end where the pull benifits the snug fit. make the foot end splice a little wider so two mini beeners will fit in it.
    this is done by burring the two six inch end pieces into the ridge line, the six inches will be two burries about 2.75 inches long , leaving a small amount of amsteel in the middle out and loose.
    You now have a ridge line, with what looks like two inch worms in a upside down u shape.This is the anchor points,and will define the angle of your pull on the lines.
    Tie a piece of zing it to the end of the bungie lines from your u q.
    Go from your uq up through these inch worm fixed points with your suspension zing it,not the bungie ,the zing it will slide through the inch worms easier than the bungie.
    Now tie the 2.2 to the ridge line using a midshipmans knot or a taut line hitch.
    If you slide the knot away from the inch worm it tightens the suspension lines,if slid toward it it loosens the suspension.
    I can get plenty of spacing this way so if im hot, all i have to do is reach up and slide a knot. If cold tighten it.
    The adjustment come from the head end only,the foot end on mine is fixed at a certain tension that works best.
    I use two mini beeners that came with my lynx under quilt on the foot end ,that way to get in and out all i have to do is unclip what ever side i want to get out on.
    You will have to picture a torso length wilderness logics quilt on my hammock,but will work for full length too. On a full length this is not an issue only torso length.
    This works better for me because the direction of pull on the u q suspension lines are better than trying to create the same force from a flat angle pull of a normal suspension that is being pulled from the ends to create the snug fit.
    The reason for the zing it is that the ridge line creates alot of wear on bungie cord,and the zing it holds well.Good luck ,you will like the results. I find the warmth from the u q in this formation to function much better for heat ,and staying put while thrashing about at night. The quilt does not roll like it does when tied to the ends of the hammock,its pulled straight up into you.
    Before im done my hammock will be like the mariners boat on water world lol.
    Last edited by hairbear; 04-11-2013 at 09:43.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    You can also attach a piece of bungie in a v shape to the u q corners with the narrow end going into a tent stake,always used a stick with a fork myself,this will give you a more controled spacing between the hammock and the u q. I stopped doing it because the wind making the u q slap the hammock became something that no longer bothered me.If you use this method bury the stake into the ground to the point of having nothing left sticking out. Wouldnt want to create a safety factor if your head came down on it because of hammock failure. Nobody wants to sleep over a punji stake.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Some time in the distant past, I saw a post about some one rigging up their bridge uq so they could adjust the tension of the hang while in the hammock (maybe one of Grizz's creations?) Anyway, for the life of me, I cant find the post. does anyone remember anything like that? (should have subscribed to the thread!)
    I use Linelock 3's on the corners of my underquilts. I suppose you could make the adjustment lines longer so they can be reached while lying in the hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Some time in the distant past...
    Was it this video by P. Gibson/AHE about the Ridge Creek UQ?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I use Linelock 3's on the corners of my underquilts. I suppose you could make the adjustment lines longer so they can be reached while lying in the hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    I like that idea! The ridge line idea would work, but my wbrr doesnt have a ridge line, and doesnt need one (I could add one but I hate to complicate things!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I just chained two extra S-biners in the top corner of my Ridgerunner Suspension - near the zipper (same for JRB bridge).

When I need to vent I unhook the UQ's micro-biner from the suspension and clip it onto one or the other of the two S-biners. This lengthens the quilt suspension into a chain of either two or three small biners on the quilt's corner.

No need to leave the hammock. This drops the quilt's top-edge away from the hammock an inch (or two). Eventually I'll rig 1-S-biner with a length of shockcord and an adjuster.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts