Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    If Gresh scampers thru the woods and no one is there to see him, is he really scampering or is he lumbering?
    -Gunner76
    Well! Yes!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
    Man. Sucks to find out my brand new Appalachian hammock and tarp are such a steaming pile of dog poo.

I may be a newbie to hammocking but from what I have seen this is high quality gear. That's just my opinion so take it for what it is. I'm happy with my purchase though.
    From what I've seen, you have NO reason not to be. For entry-level setups, I've started recommending AppHammocks instead of my ol' trusty Eno...so no worries there, mate.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Wow, it seems a lot of things have happened in the past few days. After reading through all the posts, we want to first reaffirm our stance that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While compliments are great ways to let you know what you're doing right, criticism also provides you with opportunities to grow. As such, we welcome all feedback and suggestions. With that being said, there is a right and a wrong way to give criticism, and maybe green just drifted a little into the latter with some of his posts.

While we don't think this is the popular opinion, we do want to say that we sincerely hope that we haven't come off as merely being on HF to sell or "hawk" our products. To be completely honest, I don't think Ryan or myself even know how to hawk a product. Our motivation for joining HF is very simple - information exchange and interaction with the most knowledgable group of hammock campers there are. Of course it is more exposure for us, which is great and could lead to getting more of our proucts out there, but the real value is being able talk to you guys. As an example, Ryan went to the smoked butt hang a couple weekends ago as someone
    who loves the outdoors and wanted to go hammock camping, not as a salesman. If you were able to meet Ryan at the hang, I'm sure you would agree.

The comments about our hammocks not being groundbreaking in design are completely warranted, but we also don't think that we've ever portrayed them as something that they aren't. As several of you pointed out, our hammocks are simple in design yet very well-made and priced competitively when compared to similar entry-level setups that don't include all the bells and whistles. Plus, if it happens to be important to you, our stuff is all made in the USA.

Our decision to package the biners' and straps with the hammock was also driven by the goal of giving someone looking for an entry-level setup everything they need in
    one shot. If you think the suspension looks terrible, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but it's our opinion that the straps and biner suspension is perfectly
    fine and in most cases preferred for someone just starting out that's often not yet worried or thinking about shaving weight and reducing pack size with more technical setups. Plus, if you don't need the suspension, just email us. We will be more than happy to work with you to come up with a package that fits your exact needs.

Thanks again for the support you guys showed in this thread. It's really great when you're a part of a group that cares enough to stand up and voice their opinions.
    Looking forward to continuing to learn new things through becoming a bigger part of the HF community.

- Kyle and Ryan
    www.appalachianhammock.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianHammock View Post
    Wow, it seems a lot of things have happened in the past few days. After reading through all the posts, we want to first reaffirm our stance that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. While compliments are great ways to let you know what you're doing right, criticism also provides you with opportunities to grow. As such, we welcome all feedback and suggestions. With that being said, there is a right and a wrong way to give criticism, and maybe green just drifted a little into the latter with some of his posts.

While we don't think this is the popular opinion, we do want to say that we sincerely hope that we haven't come off as merely being on HF to sell or "hawk" our products. To be completely honest, I don't think Ryan or myself even know how to hawk a product. Our motivation for joining HF is very simple - information exchange and interaction with the most knowledgable group of hammock campers there are. Of course it is more exposure for us, which is great and could lead to getting more of our proucts out there, but the real value is being able talk to you guys. As an example, Ryan went to the smoked butt hang a couple weekends ago as someone
    who loves the outdoors and wanted to go hammock camping, not as a salesman. If you were able to meet Ryan at the hang, I'm sure you would agree.

The comments about our hammocks not being groundbreaking in design are completely warranted, but we also don't think that we've ever portrayed them as something that they aren't. As several of you pointed out, our hammocks are simple in design yet very well-made and priced competitively when compared to similar entry-level setups that don't include all the bells and whistles. Plus, if it happens to be important to you, our stuff is all made in the USA.

Our decision to package the biners' and straps with the hammock was also driven by the goal of giving someone looking for an entry-level setup everything they need in
    one shot. If you think the suspension looks terrible, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but it's our opinion that the straps and biner suspension is perfectly
    fine and in most cases preferred for someone just starting out that's often not yet worried or thinking about shaving weight and reducing pack size with more technical setups. Plus, if you don't need the suspension, just email us. We will be more than happy to work with you to come up with a package that fits your exact needs.

Thanks again for the support you guys showed in this thread. It's really great when you're a part of a group that cares enough to stand up and voice their opinions.
    Looking forward to continuing to learn new things through becoming a bigger part of the HF community.

- Kyle and Ryan

I thought that was well said!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm no expert here and haven't had too much exposure to a lot of different hammocks but I recently got an Appalachian hammock and I am more than pleased. I like it better than any of the Eno's I've seen and much better than the el'cheapo that I got from a big box store. And I guess what impresses me more is that this product came from a couple of young men here in good ol' NC.

Well done fellas...
    Not all who wander are lost...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X
    Quote Originally Posted by green1210 View Post
    No they don't, but competitive retailers offer them for some unknown reason. I think I might have slept through that lecture in Marketing 101. I'm getting the feeling some of you did as well.

I'll shut up now.
    . <<<< Probably a good idea.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer4953 View Post
    I'm no expert here and haven't had too much exposure to a lot of different hammocks but I recently got an Appalachian hammock and I am more than pleased. I like it better than any of the Eno's I've seen and much better than the el'cheapo that I got from a big box store. And I guess what impresses me more is that this product came from a couple of young men here in good ol' NC.

Well done fellas...
    Thanks for the kind words. It's always great to hear back from our customers and get feedback. Looks like you swapped out for whoopies? We've been thinking about those as an add-on option.

- Kyle

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianHammock View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. It's always great to hear back from our customers and get feedback. Looks like you swapped out for whoopies? We've been thinking about those as an add-on option.

- Kyle
    Just my unsolicited $0.02 here, but of everybody I know rocking an ENO or similar hammock (such as the infamous Woot hammock) that comes with the rope/strap and biner stock suspension, I know of only one person that hasn't changed his out to something different (whoopies for most. Mine has dogbones in the end).
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah I made my own whoopies and replaced the stock suspension. Although I've been thinking of going to a soft shackle/continuous loop so I can take the suspension off quickly.
    Not all who wander are lost...

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Just got my orange double ended stuff sacks the other day in the mail, and they fit my little ones Hennessy Cub perfectly. very nice construction and i love the that bright orange. Thanks a bunch!!

If you end up offering whoopies and maybe an adjustable ridgeline maybe even a ten foot option i may have to pick one of your rigs up if the quality is as good as the stuff sacks ill jump on board!

... alot of maybes their lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast