Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

converting to a down bag?

i'm not really worried about weight but i am worried about size. with deciding to become a full time hanger i need to change some of my gear around and i found out that i want a warmer sleeping bag in a hammock. (i think i might have already brought that up on here once.) the only way i have found to get a warmer bag without gettign more bulk is to switch to down (as most of you have suggested, thanks by the way). well the price of the down bags is a little more than i can spend right now, atleast for what i want. well i have a question for ya'll.

i was talking to a guy i used to work with today and he has an old mummy synthetic bag he has just ordered a new one to replace. his wife smokes and the bag has been through a lot and really smells. he said i could have it if i wanted or he is going to trash it. i was wondering if i could remove the seam from one side take out all the syn. stuffing. wash it really well allow it to hang dry. stuff it with down and sew it back up?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The baffles would be the kicker.... Down needs to be contained differently from synth. You could sew through on the sleeping bag case. Not sure how low you want to go.

Not to be a party pooper but if you are going to spend the coin for the down... spend the coin for the fabric and do a DIY quilt. It wouldn't be that much more expensive. The fabric would be downproof (another problem with your suggested idea) and you wouldn't have to live with the remnants of the smoke which can be near impossible to remove completely.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Cig smoke is awful and near impossible to get out of fabric. I'd get a kit from Thru HIker if you want to do a quilt yourself. There are also inexpensive down bags around - check out the Campmor bags, as I recall their down bags are fairly inexpensive and I've heard very good reviews.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Depending on your timing... Steep and cheap can have good deals... but you have to catch the right day.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I have a new Campmor 20* down bag for sale. I used it twice as a quilt only. In like new condition. Campmor price is $137.98 including shipping, you can have this one for $115 shipped. Smoke, pet and kid free home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I have a new Campmor 20* down bag for sale. I used it twice as a quilt only. In like new condition. Campmor price is $137.98 including shipping, you can have this one for $115 shipped. Smoke, pet and kid free home.
    THAT is a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    THAT is a deal!
    Yes it is. These are really nice bags. I will most likely get a zero* bag in a long. I can get in this one and zip it up but it is pretty snug for me.

well here is another question about down.

i understand that when you lay on down it takes away from the insulation value. does it totally take it away? if you use just a quilt what do you put under you? anything other than your pad?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    well here is another question about down.

i understand that when you lay on down it takes away from the insulation value. does it totally take it away? if you use just a quilt what do you put under you? anything other than your pad?
    Laying on down takes away almost all the insulation value. You still get a little from the shell and the compressed feather, but very little. So for insolation in a hammock you either use a pad or an under quilt. Knowing your budget constraints I would suggest a pad to start out with. They are cheap, light and easy to use. All you do is lay on them. They are just not as comfortable as an underquilt. AN underquilt is basically an open sleeping beg that is suspended under the hammock. That way you don't compress it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    try ebay. I got a nwt marmot 0 deg bag. for a little over a hundred. it is 200 or more new elsewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast