Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
    Hey all I do think the issue might be the fabric, it does have that ripstop weave, but there isn't any give and this stuff is heavy. I weigh 230lbs what fabric specifically should i use instead?

Im not sure 1.9 will be enough.

Could you post a direct link to where I can buy the right fabric (one you have used) at a good price.
    A dual layer of 1.9 and 1.1 or both 1.9 should work. Perhaps somebody can comment on whether one layer is though.

Edit: I think alot of people get their stuff through thu-hiker and ed speers site.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As far as design is concerned... I think your original design was good. Maybe you should have started with more fabric. That depends on what whipping system you use tho. I would also suggest a wider bed to allow a more pronounced diagonal. But I'm a hack... not a designer.

My "hang in under an hour" episode is a basic look at the most basic desgn for a gathered end hammock. I would sleep in it if I needed to. It does, however have about a nickel sized hole in the hammock bed. Still holds up old lard butt tho. That lightweight ripstop is strong.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 02-15-2009 at 21:07. Reason: changed hole size after looking at it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I buy my fabric at Joanne's, I guess its a craft store. My first hammock was made of a polyester blend sports wear fabric. Its really lite and thin but still pretty strong. I have used it for probably 60 nights before I finally got around to hemming the long edges. Its now my loaner and has been used by a friend who is around 215lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I buy my fabric at Joanne's, I guess its a craft store. My first hammock was made of a polyester blend sports wear fabric.

I have been to a few fabric stores around here and when I ask about ripstop nylon, it seems that unless its a flower pattern they just give you a blank stare. These are big stores, I live in Charlotte, NC and I know all the "hole in the wall" and big chain places, they just don't know outdoor type fabric. I can't even figure out weather its 1.1 or 1.7 (its not labeled) or if what they have is anything close to what you all use.

I think I just need to stick to online.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin;
    Edit: I think alot of people get their stuff through thu-hiker and ed speers site.
    The speer's site was a great suggestion

Images
    Hey all I do think the issue might be the fabric, it does have that ripstop weave, but there isn't any give and this stuff is heavy. I weigh 230lbs what fabric specifically should i use instead?

Im not sure 1.9 will be enough.

Could you post a direct link to where I can buy the right fabric (one you have used) at a good price.
    The 1.9 oz Rip Stop Nylon is what I use for a single layer hammock and we are about the same weight. I've gotten it from Speer Hammocks, Hancock Fabrics, and seen it at JoAnn Fabrics. For two layers, you might want 1.1 oz RSN. I haven't seen that stocked in local fabric stores, I would probably get that from Speer Hammocks.

I have gotten both at times from the WalMart dollar bin, but that is a crap shoot. I've probably wasted more time and dollars in gas looking than what I saved getting it so cheap. And over the years, less WalMarts stock fabric and even the ones that do seem to have less of the dollar bin stuff.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I have been to a few fabric stores around here and when I ask about ripstop nylon, it seems that unless its a flower pattern they just give you a blank stare. These are big stores, I live in Charlotte, NC and I know all the "hole in the wall" and big chain places, they just don't know outdoor type fabric. I can't even figure out weather its 1.1 or 1.7 (its not labeled) or if what they have is anything close to what you all use.

I think I just need to stick to online.
    I am very familiar with the blank stare lol. I have never seen ripstop in JoAnn's but I am very happy with the polyester/blend sports wear fabric I have. The stretch of it is less than nylon of comparable weight. At first I was worried about it not being ripstop, but I have used it 60 plus nights without issue.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have the same experience when going into my local fabric stores. The Joannes here does have a small selection of outdoor fabric, but since I don't have allot of experience with the fabrics I can't tell what the weights are.

Looking at the photo in the vintage hammock thread of Dutch's new tarp packed up would indicate that 1.1 is quite a bit lighter than anything I've seen in the fabric stores I've been to.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I suspect that 1.1 silnyl is a specialty fabric that would not have a mass market appeal. Joanns is close to a big box store, catering to the mass market craft and quilting folks. Their fashion fabirics are typical and nothing to write home about in my book. So I would not be surprised if the 1.1 silnyl was an outfitters item or a real find at wally worlds bolt ends $1.50 shelves.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Joann's Fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I suspect that 1.1 silnyl is a specialty fabric that would not have a mass market appeal. Joanns is close to a big box store, catering to the mass market craft and quilting folks. Their fashion fabirics are typical and nothing to write home about in my book. So I would not be surprised if the 1.1 silnyl was an outfitters item or a real find at wally worlds bolt ends $1.50 shelves.
    I guess I just got lucky. The Joann's Fabrics store here has a bunch of Ripstop in lot's of colors, weights 1.1oz, 1.7oz, 2.2oz, and patterns (Ex: Green Camo, Snow Camo, Jungle Camo.) But no Silnyl though...........
    All of them are $4.95/Yard, and I get good Coupons in the mail ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12