Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First homemade Hammock Newbie: Feedback, Suggestions & Questions

Hey all this is my first post here, so Hello! I am brand new to hammocks and making my own gear. So I'd like some feedback and have some pretty basic questions

I found you all and with the directions from Jeff's page and took the plunge. I bought some ripstop nylon, I don't really know what weight but I figured 2 layers would be more than enough, plus give it a nice "two tone" look.

The Design is a basic rectangle (10' x 54") I sewed all the edges, turned it in side out so it has a nice finish look. I am just under 6' tall. I am using cordlette which is for climbing (has no stretch).

I then did simple gather and whip at the ends (I later tried zipties). Here (pictured) I have a 94" ridgeline. I am still trying to figure out adjusting the sag, ridgeline etc. I have a good size gap underneath the small of my back, so I need to get a lil flatter somehow.

So let me know what you think, what can be improved and I could use some help about figuring out how to get more comfortable in it.

Double layer, orange and gray 10'

End Detail shot

Another End Detail Shot

Need help adjusting I still have a void under the small of my back, here I am laying diagonally

Action or rather an INaction shot

Feedback/improvements and how to get more comfortable/adjusting appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Looks good, did you leave and opening so that you can slide a pad inside it?
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
    I am still trying to figure out adjusting the sag, ridgeline etc. I have a good size gap underneath the small of my back, so I need to get a lil flatter somehow.

So let me know what you think, what can be improved and I could use some help about figuring out how to get more comfortable in it.
    Feedback/improvements and how to get more comfortable/adjusting appreciated.
    Welcome aboard, Ryan -- nice job!

I'm a newb here myself and don't know enough to suggest many specifics, but at 6'2" I think I sense what you're facing. In the fabric length thread (in this forum) I described a testbed that lets me play with the variables to see what works. My posts link to some pictures of the testbed.

Here's a summary about it, lifted from something I recently posted elsewhere:

Basically, the testbed is a gathered end hammock that is longer than I expect to need for a good fit, tied off on each end with a double sheet bend for simplicity. Before hanging it, I slipped a steel "napkin" ring over each end of the hammock. Then it's hung using descender rings that allow me to connect some 550 cord to make an adjustable ridge line secured with a bowline at the fixed end, and some round turns around the descender ring at the other end, which adds enough friction that a tautline hitch can grip sufficiently.

End result as a test setup that lets you control the ridgeline length (hence, sag), the effective hammock length (slide both napkin rings in or out) and the tilt of the lay, i.e., the relative height of foot end to head end (slide one ring inward, the other outward).

This gives a way to play with the hang with little fuss, to see what might work for you.

Perhaps something like this could help you fine tune things.

Chuck

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF! Your hammock looks pretty good. The fabric looks a bit on the heavy duty side, but I like the double layer/two-tone effect.

I'm finding that the longer the hammock is, the more comfortable I can get on the diagonal. I'm personally moving toward longer hammocks, 10.5 feet or longer is where I'm headed.

BTW, have you tried a longer ridgeline to get rid of that small void at your back? Just curious.

I like Preacha Man's suggestion to leave a place to slide a pad in between layers for warmth. Lots of discussions about that all through this site...

Good job, and welcome again to HF!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
    I have a good size gap underneath the small of my back, so I need to get a lil flatter somehow.
    My experience has been that the stretch of the hammock fabric influences several things about how a hammock feels. Too little stretch contributes to pressure points which is what the gap underneath the small of your back indicates. Too much stretch contributes to shoulder squeeze issues and makes it difficult to get nice and comfy because it wants to wrap around you too much.

I'm too heavy for a single layer 1.1 oz/yd^2 rip stop nylon but I have made a hammock out of 1.9 oz/yd^2 rsn and cut it on a bias. That had too much stretch for me. The 1.9 cut normally is my preference. I've used 1.9 ish rip stop polyester that has less stretch and I had pressure points with it (particularly when I laid down the center line of the hammock) that I didn't like. But that is just me, different people like different things just like different people prefer a different firmness in mattresses.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    My experience has been that the stretch of the hammock fabric influences several things about how a hammock feels. Too little stretch contributes to pressure points which is what the gap underneath the small of your back indicates. Too much stretch contributes to shoulder squeeze issues and makes it difficult to get nice and comfy because it wants to wrap around you too much.

I'm too heavy for a single layer 1.1 oz/yd^2 rip stop nylon but I have made a hammock out of 1.9 oz/yd^2 rsn and cut it on a bias. That had too much stretch for me. The 1.9 cut normally is my preference. I've used 1.9 ish rip stop polyester that has less stretch and I had pressure points with it (particularly when I laid down the center line of the hammock) that I didn't like. But that is just me, different people like different things just like different people prefer a different firmness in mattresses.
    I have noticed a big difference between my TTTM double and my claytor jungle. For me the double could be a lil' bit less stretchy, and the claytor a bit more. Both are very comfy but require different amount of sag.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ryan... are you sure that is ripstop nylon... it looks more like taffeta or oxford to me. The reason for asking is this... ripstop is a lighter weight fabric and might benefit from two layers depending issues mentioned above. Taffeta or oxford is a heavier fabric and would be fully capable of single layer support. So doubling it may indeed have made the hammock too stiff. Explore different sag amounts (read longer/shorter ridgelines) and try to vary your diagonal lie within the hammock. See if that makes a difference.

Ripstop has this square woven in pattern from larger threads to stop a rip before it extends.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hey all I do think the issue might be the fabric, it does have that ripstop weave, but there isn't any give and this stuff is heavy. I weigh 230lbs what fabric specifically should i use instead?

Im not sure 1.9 will be enough.

Could you post a direct link to where I can buy the right fabric (one you have used) at a good price.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I really like the colors you used. Looks good.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    1.9 ripstop double layer would certainly do the trick I would think. Do a double layer again so you can have a pad sleeve.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast