Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

"Bags are packed, ready to go" - or not?

I have somewhat of a dilema. I leave a couple bags ready to go on river trips or car camping, everything but water, which would freeze in my garage where they're kept. I can toss them in the boat or car at a moment's notice. I have another pack, a G4, that is set up for UL hiking.
    But I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't smarter to pack specifically for each trip and save bringing stuff you don't need. What do you guys do?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    If you have more than one setup - for different trip types - I'd say pack what will not get harmed by weather changes in that garage and maybe keep a few things inside like shoes, boots, foods, down. You know, anything that could be damaged by temperature extremes, long-term compression, or 'lil critters with 4 to 8 legs
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Packing is half the fun for me so I like to spend a few days before a trip going over my gear and selecting what I'll take. I'm also always testing something out so different aspects of my kit tend to change a lot between trips. Basically I'm a gear-head for this stuff and the time I spend packing or unpacking for trips is second only to the time I actually spend on the trail.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

"Bags are packed, ready to go" - or not?

I pack differently for each trip, so I like to keep all my gear stored in those plastic drawer sets sold at big box stores. All my empty packs are stacked in a box (don't ask how many).

First step in packing is to start laying gear out on the floor in separate piles for clothing, cooking, shelter, etc. Then I select a pack and stuff sacks and pack it all away.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I pack differently for each trip, so I like to keep all my gear stored in those plastic drawer sets sold at big box stores. All my empty packs are stacked in a box (don't ask how many).

First step in packing is to start laying gear out on the floor in separate piles for clothing, cooking, shelter, etc. Then I select a pack and stuff sacks and pack it all away.
    This is how I pack as well.
    What I bring changes from adventure to adventure and having everything layed out makes it easier to bring what I need, and leave behind what I don't.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    All my trips are different, so I pack differently for each.

I find it impossible to pack early unless I'm only using CCF. Down and synth insuluation suffers from loss of loft if stored compressed and the quilts needing to be at the bottom make packing a waste of time.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    All my trips are different, so I pack differently for each.

I find it impossible to pack early unless I'm only using CCF. Down and synth insuluation suffers from loss of loft if stored compressed and the quilts needing to be at the bottom make packing a waste of time.
    Oh ya, I forgot this point... My obsessive tendencies won't let me compress my sleeping bag even a day early. Like you said that goes at the bottom of the bag so packing without it isn't really possible.

I'm (hopefully) going out for an overnight tonight and my small pockets on my pack are all ready to go, but my larger gear items are all laid out on the floor. When I get home I compress my sleeping bag and throw that in, then pile the rest on top (including some food from the fridge) and I'm off.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    Since I camp off my motorcycles and always seem to take different bikes depending on where I am going. I pack for each trip, and never can seem to load the bike the same way. I would love to get a system, but it seems like between tools, spare's, and gear changing for each trip stuff never seems to go where it was for the last trip. But hay planning for a trip is about half the fun !!!!

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Like many who have already commented, I pack differently each trip. Packing is half the fun for me. It builds the excitement while giving my "chomping-at-the-bit" self an outlet.

Plus. I get to play while I pack. I mean, I gotta test everything to make sure it's all in working order, right?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm still experimenting with this myself.
    First round was an empty backpack and adding everything from a shelf and laying it all out.

Latest round was say 50% pre-packed in the backpack, the rest grabbed off shelves.
    This seemed easier to me.
    The pre-pack items are things like first aid kit, water bottles, purification, stove kit, etc.
    Off the shelf items are clothes, TQ/UQ, tarp, hammock, etc.

I still checked off the pre-packed items from a list but it took me less time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast