Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Little Silver Dots make everything better?

Hey hammockologists & engineers, just wanted to see if anyone's tried these, or if anyone has any thought on these for a light weight alternative to down bags for spring and summer. @ 10 ozs., it seems hard to beat weight wise, but @ $100, it don't sound penny wise. It's not going to be as small as my Sea to Summit Reactor or Cocoon silk liner, but the tech fabric does make me wonder about the possibility of employing those little silver dots.

Makes me wonder if an under quilt version would be a good idea? A complete 2 season insulation kit for less than 20 ozs.? I'm intrigued.

Also does anyone modify their bag liners to make the function like a top quilt? It was 65* and rainy here last night so I tried out my Astro cargo van setup and thought that would be a good thing to do.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Construction:

Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining traps your body heat while providing breathability
    Average weight: 10oz
    Regular inside length: 84”
    Stuff sack included
    7.5” x 7” compression sack included
    Imported

Fabric:

Shell: 100% polyester
    Lining: 100% Omni-Heat thermal reflective tricot
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 04-12-2013 at 08:49.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm also curious if anyone here has tried these? I don't have a topquilt/underquilt system today, but use the HHSS for under insulation and a cheap 20 deg bag, along with a fleece liner and my poncho liner in very cold weather.

I'm wondering if I could drop the 20deg bag and use this as a sleeping bag, along with a fleece liner/blanket and my woobie for most temps down to about 30deg?

Interesting idea.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    So far I'm a cold weather whimp, I also have a HHSS and have tested it into the mid 20's with and without the space blanket using a 15* REI down bag. I also have a Wilderness Logics SSUQ, and have tested it to the low 30's with & without a space blanket.

I plan on getting a down top quilt but if these tech fabrics will work well for summer, then that changes the temp rating of the top quilt I need. I've emailed Columbia for their insight on temp ratings/guesses for this liner on a pad. So as impatient as I am I just got off the phone with them, these are not wind resistant, and Columbia makes no claims to degrees added to a bag or has tested it to rate it when used alone. The rep stated that it was not intended to be used alone, even though it states so on their site. There are none in stores within 100 miles to me from what their rep could find.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm also curious if anyone here has tried these? I don't have a topquilt/underquilt system today, but use the HHSS for under insulation and a cheap 20 deg bag, along with a fleece liner and my poncho liner in very cold weather.

I'm wondering if I could drop the 20deg bag and use this as a sleeping bag, along with a fleece liner/blanket and my woobie for most temps down to about 30deg?

Interesting idea.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Wow...nothing like a company willing to stand behind their product!!! LOL

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    No, that is not what I tried to communicate at all, all I wanted to relay was that they do not have testing to document the products performance alone. The politely and willingly answered any question I asked, and offered to answer more if I had them. The rep also informed me that their policy included a 30 day money back guarantee and shipping was free.

Yes I would have liked to had better answers based on industry standards, at least for ground use and the temp gain one might expect when used with a bag. But I do not see those numbers used on all liners either. However, for a bill, it's going to take more data and/or reviews before I try one. I'll buy a Wilderness Logics SSTQ for $165 and KNOW what I'm getting before I do that. My hope was to use the 2 together and get fall and/or lite winter use.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Wow...nothing like a company willing to stand behind their product!!! LOL

Hammock
    DIY "Dirty Bridge"
    Tarp
    DIY "Snow Camel"
    Insulation
    DIY "Dirty Quilt"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Scott a backwoods daydreamer sold that material for a little while but I haven't seen it on his site lately. Seemed interesting but I never got around to trying it.
    If at first you don't succeed...
    You're doing it wrong

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Sweet, I'll have to look that up. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
    Scott a backwoods daydreamer sold that material for a little while but I haven't seen it on his site lately. Seemed interesting but I never got around to trying it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    NOT TO START A FIGHT BUT....... I love Columbia. You buy it you use it up and then they gave me new stuff to replace it with. New boots that cost 155.00 replaced the old boots in that I bought on sale at a closeout no less they were cheaper model 49.95 at Gander Mt. that were discontinued and the offered me any boot they had in my wide size. So it cost me shipping. My rain/weather jacket (unlined) is a few years old (8-12 I just don't remember anymore) I called Columbia because i LOVE it and it started leaking/soaking through and I wanted to know what to do they said mail it to them and they would look at it, they sent me a new one. Jansport is the same way before I ordered my Zimmerbuilt Jansport sent me all new straps for a pack from the late 70's at no charge. I love when a company stands behind its product. LL Bean is cool also
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    tagged for further research later...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a fan too, I own numerous pieces of their best, mostly clothing. I just want to know more about the item in the op.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    NOT TO START A FIGHT BUT....... I love Columbia. You buy it you use it up and then they gave me new stuff to replace it with. New boots that cost 155.00 replaced the old boots in that I bought on sale at a closeout no less they were cheaper model 49.95 at Gander Mt. that were discontinued and the offered me any boot they had in my wide size. So it cost me shipping. My rain/weather jacket (unlined) is a few years old (8-12 I just don't remember anymore) I called Columbia because i LOVE it and it started leaking/soaking through and I wanted to know what to do they said mail it to them and they would look at it, they sent me a new one. Jansport is the same way before I ordered my Zimmerbuilt Jansport sent me all new straps for a pack from the late 70's at no charge. I love when a company stands behind its product. LL Bean is cool also

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast