Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

**** cats pee'd on it, had to disassemble and wash it, and put it back together. (Used detergent and smooshed it around in the sink, and shoved it in the dryer on high heat - cotton mode).

I temporarily attached bugnetting with clothespins. I don't see any need for a zipper, even without weight, it holds up well enough already, and if it's so windy it starts blowing off, I don't think there will be bugs to contend with. For some reason this design gives pretty floppy sides, moreso than a single layer hammock. Pulling the sides tighter during whipping helped a little bit, but I had to pull them so tight, I couldn't get out of the hammock. I plan on using side tie-outs, and ghetto-rigged some with a quarter shoved in the fabric and cord wrapped around it, kinda like a button. I used a poor knot and it came out the first time I used it, I can't recommend this method if you're going to get *into* the hammock, but it works great for testing. Also one of those pictures is with the pad inserted.

My ridgeline tends to put alot of stress on the sewn together end loops i have in the fabric (picture 1), I made the loop portion 11 inches long. I think shorter would reduce the stress, but I think it would still mostly be there. When I get into the hammock, the ridgeline tightened up a bit, I think the best plan is to tighten it while I'm in it.

Can you use side tie outs if you're in a toploading hammock? Do you disconnect them while you get in, or how does that work?
    Last edited by sparkysko; 03-14-2007 at 21:29.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That looks great. I LOVE the camo netting. Looks like you used the ridge line inside the hammock. Nice. Did you roll whip it or use the standard gathering technique?

You can use side tie outs in a top loading hammock. I just get in as normal, with out unattaching the side tie outs. I attach my side tie outs via small webbing loops sewn to the hammock. I also use one of the JRB micro biners to attch the side tie out bungie cord. That way I can clip and unclip them as needed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanks, I was really giddy when I find those colors/fabrics at walmart. Olive drab is very hard to find (All they had was 19 feet of the 60" wide stuff). I was using the camo cord they sell in the camping department which really blends in well, but that stuff has a breaking strength of like 40lbs, and I ended up snapping it a few times when pulling my whipping tight, so I'm stuck with neon orange cord (rated 300lbs, 3.50$/50 feet at REI)

bungie, there's an idea. I had originally roll whipped, trying to copy the DIY Hennesy Instructions. I guess I did the last fold wrong or something, anywho, the center was extremely tight, and the sides were extremely floppy, so I gave up and used the gathering technique. Not sure what the benefits of the roll method are, it does look alot neater however.
    Last edited by sparkysko; 03-14-2007 at 22:02.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's a nice looking project there, but i'll let the others that are in the HH mode help you w/ the details<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Yeah I won't comment on the construction details either - I'm in the "stick with my basic homemade" crowd I'll definitely give you kudos on your sewing job, though - **** nice-looking stitching there!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The roll whip does give you a tight middle and floppy sides. The tie outs take up the slack in the sides and help spread the hammock out. I, personally like the tight middle as it supports my back and helps me to get flat.

It seems the roll whip takes a little tweaking to get right. HE was having a problem getting it adjusted right. May not be for everybody.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Great job. That's really good work. And I've noticed that olive drab is hard to find also. Weird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12