Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So many choices

actually was talking about my ground experiences too. FROZE in the mid 30's with a 0* Marmot bag because I didn't realize how crappy my "air-core" was for heat retention. I thought, hey it's thick, it'll keep me warm. Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Sorry, I am still talking about my pre-hammock experiences and how cold -I- sleep.
    I shiver while others sweat (in similar sleeping bags in good pads on the ground side by side).

But I hear what you say about underquits, and I am realizing that what you say is exactly the situation, the UQ covers bottom and sides and the TQ just frosts the cake. Sounds to me like the underquilt is the most critical part of the system.

Which brings up something else I have wondered about. Seems like in wind you could get a lot of heat stolen from the underquilt. Do people ever hang a windproof layer of some kind under/around the underquilt?? Something that would serve the same purpose as the bivy bag I always carry and use when ground sleeping?
    2QZQ make a UQ protector in either silnylon or plain ripstop, some people have condensation issues using a fully waterproof barrier on the outside of the UQ, I cannot speak to this though.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

So that's what they call them

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    2QZQ make a UQ protector .
    Aha, so there is a name for this concept! Thanks. I actually don't think I will go in this direction, but if I do it would seem like an easy DIY project -- but I think extra bulk and weight. Good to know about. My next DIY project ought to be a tarp, which ought to be simple enough. A tarp is an easy thing to ignore in Arizona where rain is rare and/or predictable - but is pretty much essential other places I go out of state, and the benefit of shielding from wind cannot be ignored.

I am starting to settle my thinking on a 3/4 length underquilt, and have become quite interested in the te-wa jobs, probably their 20 degree "antifreeze". Looks to me like a 52 inch quilt will fit my 6 foot 1 inch body from neck down to mid-calf. With a hat, pillow, and foam pad under the legs I should be good !?

I think that setup will take care of you nicely. Shielding from that AZ sun is just as important as rain and you're right about the wind. Convection is our constant enemy in hammocks.

With an adequate tarp in your part of the US, UQP is probably unnecessary. I think there's a good "Black Cat" tarp template somewhere on here.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Almost there

I am almost a tenth of an inch away from placing the order for a te-wa antifreeze (their 20 degree rated UQ) with 2 ounces of overfill -- making the weight 16 ounces overall.

I think there are lots of other fine choices. Probably someday I will also own a full length hammock gear incubator -- or maybe I will find that the te-wa just nails it for me (and I think there is a good chance it just might).

And, Slo, thanks for the tip on the "black cat" tarp (or whatever you said, can't see it now while in the compose window). I have a couple of tarps, both DIY jobs that I can press into service in the meanwhile. One is a Jardine tarp-tent, which I will have to experiment with to see if I can rig it over a hammock. The main thing about it is that I think I can make a hammock specific tarp that will cut the weight in half, but I'll be searching for what you recommended in just a minute.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

End of the story

I changed my mind and ordered a Te-Wa Flurry -- and with 1 oz of overfill to boot.

I figured that it was only an extra 4 ounces over the Antifreeze with 2 ounces of overfill, and the Flurry is designed for 4 inches of loft, where the Antifreeze specifies 2 inches. Might as well give that down some room to do its thing.

And I am always cold (maybe that is why I like Arizona?), so I doubt very much I will regret the extra warmth. I may tackle a lighter underquilt as a DIY project if I find a source for down.

As somebody said, if you are too hot, you can always loosen things up and vent, but if you are cold, you are out of options.
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 04-17-2013 at 01:00. Reason: minor addition

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    underquilts.com sells unfilled quilt shells that you can choose to shorten, and wilderness logics sells down in one ounce containers.

Knowledge of how to use gear helps too. Shug's sharing of that info is very helpful.

When I'm unfamiliar with some facet of outdoor gear, I buy used (expecting to resell at a small loss) until I learn more about what I prefer, or what suits my needs.

There is more to using UQs than just the length and thickness specs that we are used to on pads. Leighlo adds grosgrain tabs along the sides of her UQs, so it is easy to pull up the sides with string+bungie cord going over the ridgeline. The extra weight of the cordage is worth the extra warmth derived from the better fit of the UQ.

On my Tewa Freeze UQ (older version of current Antifreeze) I use the cord intended as side tieouts for WBBB, tied over the ridgeline of my non-WB hammock by extending the length of the cord.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123